Two police officers killed in Brooklyn in ‘execution-style’ slaying

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Money talks.

Money talks louder than picket signs, sit ins, public disturbances, and silly chants. I think the Minneapolis amendment is a dope idea.

@CoonKillaThird‌ aside from the doctor/malpractice example, are you aware of any similar precedents in law enforcement?

I'm curious to see how this will/has worked out.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea. I guess it all depends on what the starting premiums would be. Cops don't really make a lot of money, so the idea of adding another big bill would probably get them to fight it pretty hard.

Also, I'm not sure how the insurance companies would determine when it is necessary to raise the rates. It can't be based on convictions because a lot of these cops aren't convicted due to help from their buddies or a lack of initiative from people higher in the chain. It also can't be based simply off of number of complaints because I'm sure even cops who aren't beating people get a ton of complaints from criminals trying to get at the cops.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea. I guess it all depends on what the starting premiums would be. Cops don't really make a lot of money, so the idea of adding another big bill would probably get them to fight it pretty hard.

Also, I'm not sure how the insurance companies would determine when it is necessary to raise the rates. It can't be based on convictions because a lot of these cops aren't convicted due to help from their buddies or a lack of initiative from people higher in the chain. It also can't be based simply off of number of complaints because I'm sure even cops who aren't beating people get a ton of complaints from criminals trying to get at the cops.

In chicgo cops make 45k to start and about 50 after 3 years.

If someone sues and wins....your rate will most likely go up crazy. If you add body cameras and insurance then cops would be forced to go by the book.

I also think cops should have to live where they work....by zip code.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

If someone sues and wins....your rate will most likely go up crazy. If you add body cameras and insurance then cops would be forced to go by the book.

The problem with your zip code suggestion is that opens the door as much for corruption as it does for better policing.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options

The problem with your zip code suggestion is that opens the door as much for corruption as it does for better policing.

How?
  • taylornathaniel
    taylornathaniel Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Options
    Anyway hear about the officers targeted in Los angles and North carolina? ? is getting real.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    If you're policing the area that you're from, you're more likely to have a relationship with those you're policing, which is good in some ways, however it also opens up the door for that cops providing favors or giving preferential treatment to people they know. It also makes it a lot easier for criminal factions to find or even plant friendly officers.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're policing the area that you're from, you're more likely to have a relationship with those you're policing, which is good in some ways, however it also opens up the door for that cops providing favors or giving preferential treatment to people they know. It also makes it a lot easier for criminal factions to find or even plant friendly officers.

All small prices to pay
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

All small prices to pay

Tell that to the people who have no chance of getting rid of the criminals because the cops that police that area grew up with those criminals and are on their payroll.

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea. I'm only pointing out that it could have some potentially bad negative consequences too.
  • Stiff
    Options

All small prices to pay

Tell that to the people who have no chance of getting rid of the criminals because the cops that police that area grew up with those criminals and are on their payroll.

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea. I'm only pointing out that it could have some potentially bad negative consequences too.

I'm sure there would still be all of the required background checks to join the police. Just because you have communities being policed by their own doesn't necessarily mean that the police districts will be overran by crooks. But iono you might have a point.

To add to @CoonKillaThird‌ 's idea though, I think that if cops do police districts that they don't live, they should have some kind of monthly off-duty community service requirement that they must fulfill. So say you live on the northside of town but your patrol is on the southside. Every month you have to volunteer at maybe a boys and girls club on the southside near where you patrol for a certain amount of hours.

This way officers come to associate the areas where they are with more than just a stressful workday and crime.Also they actually get to know and have relationships with the people in their area.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

All small prices to pay

I'm sure there would still be all of the required background checks to join the police. Just because you have communities being policed by their own doesn't necessarily mean that the police districts will be overran by crooks. But iono you might have a point.

To add to @CoonKillaThird‌ 's idea though, I think that if cops do police districts that they don't live, they should have some kind of monthly off-duty community service requirement that they must fulfill. So say you live on the northside of town but your patrol is on the southside. Every month you have to volunteer at maybe a boys and girls club on the southside near where you patrol for a certain amount of hours.

This way officers come to associate the areas where they are with more than just a stressful workday and crime.Also they actually get to know and have relationships with the people in their area.

Yeah, I'm not arguing with you. I think there are merits to the idea. I was just giving a suggestion for why they haven't imposed something like that. After all, background checks or not, police departments are always full of crooks.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options

Bro. I hear what you're saying and all but if you're a ? cop you don't have to patrol that area to put the ? in the neighborhood up on game and take payoffs. If the majority of the cops that patrol the neighborhood are from the neighborhood then you have less chances of these cops abusing their power and doing ? ? because they're known in the community. Their kids, their wives, their moms would have to hear about that ? and nobody wants that. We would essentially be policing our own neighborhoods which is what I think we all want. @Stiff said it was a small price to pay and I think it is. Corruption is going to happen, at least let us police our own neighborhoods.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So they just gonna make this a thing now.. "a national problem" of cops being targeted in connection with unrest...

• The Lonious Monk
    Options

Bro. I hear what you're saying and all but if you're a ? cop you don't have to patrol that area to put the ? in the neighborhood up on game and take payoffs. If the majority of the cops that patrol the neighborhood are from the neighborhood then you have less chances of these cops abusing their power and doing ? ? because they're known in the community. Their kids, their wives, their moms would have to hear about that ? and nobody wants that. We would essentially be policing our own neighborhoods which is what I think we all want. @Stiff said it was a small price to pay and I think it is. Corruption is going to happen, at least let us police our own neighborhoods.

You may be right.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyway hear about the officers targeted in Los angles and North carolina? ? is getting real.

Nice, I welcome this news
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    Money talks.

Money talks louder than picket signs, sit ins, public disturbances, and silly chants. I think the Minneapolis amendment is a dope idea.

@CoonKillaThird‌ aside from the doctor/malpractice example, are you aware of any similar precedents in law enforcement?

I'm curious to see how this will/has worked out.

http://www.irmi.com/online/insurance-glossary/terms/p/police-professional-liability-insurance.aspx

Provides liability coverage for police officers and police departments, in conjunction with acts, errors, and omissions while performing their professional duties. The policies cover such perils as false arrest and civil rights violations. Unlike most professional liability insurance, the policies are sometimes written with occurrence triggers.

I'm guessing there are police who have actually taken this insurance policy out on their own voluntarily. Making this mandatory would definitely make things tighter.
  • Stiff
    Options

lol be careful
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol be careful

Damn you right

**will avoid this thread for awhile**
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never realized how sensitive the NYPD was. So I guess every time you disagree with what they do, even when they're obviously in the wrong, they'll turn their backs on you. Bunch of ? , lol.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wary NYPD cops letting minor crimes slide

With cops on edge following the assassination of two patrol officers on a Brooklyn street, many officers have started turning a blind eye to some minor crimes, sources told The Post, while a union mandate that two patrol cars respond to all police calls has led to slower response times to non-emergencies.

“I’m not writing any summonses. Do you think I’m going to stand there so someone can shoot me or hit me in the head with an ax?” One cop said Sunday, referring to the Dec. 20 slayings and another recent attack on the NYPD.

“I’m concerned about my safety,” the cop added. “I want to go to home to my wife and kids.”

An NYPD supervisor noted, “My guys are writing almost no summonses, and probably only making arrests when they have to — like when a store catches a shoplifter.”

And the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association directive for cops to respond with at least two patrol cars has resulted in a manpower shortage that’s delaying response times to non-emergencies — such as burglaries or car crashes without injuries — to as much as four hours, sources said.

Meanwhile, Police Commissioner Bill Bratton predicted a long, cold war between Mayor Bill de Blasio and the NYPD’s rank and file Sunday, while admitting that morale among cops was so low, the problem could no longer be denied.

Bratton said cops across the country also “feel under attack,” including from “the federal government at the highest levels.”

http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/wary-cops-letting-minor-offenses-slide/

hapssh.gif
  • THIRDSUPREME
    edited December 2014
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9BLMKAo5WQ

Charges were dropped? Was the officer fired? Hopefully my dude sued and won.

SMININASH on the reporter.....