Cuba: America's most wanted woman Assata Shakur will not be extradited

Options
BIGG WILL
BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/23/cuba-assata-shakur-americas-most-wanted-woman-will-not-be-extradited

A senior Cuban official has given the clearest sign yet that the island’s government has no intention of extraditing America’s most wanted woman, despite the warming of relations between the two countries.

“Every nation has sovereign and legitimate rights to grant political asylum to people it considers to have been persecuted,” the Cuban foreign ministry’s head of North American affairs, Josefina Vidal, told the Associated Press.

“We’ve explained to the US government in the past that there are some people living in Cuba to whom Cuba has legitimately granted political asylum,” Vidal said, noting also that the two countries have no extradition treaty in effect.

Vidal’s comments in a Monday interview were the clearest sign yet that Cuba has no intention of extraditing Assata Shakur – formerly known as Joanne Chesimard – following a historic detente announced by last week by President Barack Obama and Raúl Castro of Cuba.

Shakur was granted asylum by Fidel Castro after she escaped from the prison where she was serving a sentence for killing a New Jersey state trooper in 1973 during a gun battle after being stopped on the New Jersey Turnpike.

Shakur – who has maintained her innocence – was the rapper Tupac Shakur’s step-aunt and godmother.

Comments

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with Cuba the long way
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    havana the summer of 2015 might be my next destination
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They could always change their mind or make backdoor deals, so I hope Assata's on alert and got trustworthy allies w/ her.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well,that's that.
    But fear not, I'm sure some of us will find another insidious government plot to be outraged about.

For the record considering this deal with Cuba has been in the works for the last 18 months.....Obama had to have known they were NOT going to turn her over....
    (how could it not come up in those talks?) so there's that conspiracy out the window as well
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Show her talking on video holding a smartphone with the current date or talking about the current Cuba/US relationship and it'll give more credibility to what they're saying (and that she is still alive).
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Cuban government will be villified in the media for this. america hates governments, countries and people who stand up to them. They are viewed as threats to american power structure which must be silinced however possible.
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Show her talking on video holding a smartphone with the current date or talking about the current Cuba/US relationship and it'll give more credibility to what they're saying (and that she is still alive).

Bruh....I don't think that would be a smart move.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options

You may be right. I did not think of all of the potential ramifications of that act when I posted that. However, Cuba can easily act like their taking a stand on principle and America can play it at least 2 ways as well...but who's to say they haven't been working together all the while anyway (on her and other matters).

All we can do is blindly believe whatever they say with no tangible credible proof (besides pictures of her from supposedly the early to mid 2000's). Unless there is newer info out there I am unaware of. It's hard for me to give them that trust. They don't have the credibility built (for me, at least).

• Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black fuccin excellence
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You may be right. I did not think of all of the potential ramifications of that act when I posted that. However, Cuba can easily act like their taking a stand on principle and America can play it at least 2 ways as well...but who's to say they haven't been working together all the while anyway (on her and other matters).

All we can do is blindly believe whatever they say with no tangible credible proof (besides pictures of her from supposedly the early to mid 2000's). Unless there is newer info out there I am unaware of. It's hard for me to give them that trust. They don't have the credibility built (for me, at least).

The U.S. is just going to have to honor that ? ....she aint that important to these mufuckas anyway.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The U.S. is just going to have to honor that ? ....she aint that important to these mufuckas anyway.

White people just hate to see anyone who isn't white actually get away with their sins, Shakur has always maintained her innocence and medical evidence low key proved it before her original trial. AmeriKKKa just gone have to take this L.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn right. Props to Cuba and Assata Shakur.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    america will be ? yet they were cuttin ss checks for nazis
  • LurkdogAchilles
    LurkdogAchilles Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

if they got her, they not gonna ? her privately. they gonna
    wanna put her all in the media, railroad her in court again. doing
    her in behind closed doors wont give them the satisfaction that they seek
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obama wasn't gone push for this no way............Michelle wouldn't have let that happen
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man her Spanish must be good as hell right now, estoy celoso
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

White people just hate to see anyone who isn't white actually get away with their sins, Shakur has always maintained her innocence and medical evidence low key proved it before her original trial. AmeriKKKa just gone have to take this L.

Co muthafuckin Sign!!!

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    price of ? bout to go up on cuba
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was thinkin' bout making a thread on this here........

I think USA gov't gonna be up to ? tricks to get back at her some way or another tho cause I don't trust em. She bout 67 as of today I think. I hope she stays as a free bird too.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/12/18/assata-shakur-extradition.html