Disc-Less PS3 Netflix Launching Soon

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in IllGaming
Company confirms new and improved service in the next few months.

PlayStation 3 Netflix users will soon be able to use the service without having to insert a disc into their console each and every time.

Netflix stated from the beginning that a disc-less version would eventually launch in 2010, but a timeframe was never given. CEO Reed Hastings recently stated in the company's latest earnings call, however, that an improved version of Netflix for PS3 is coming in the next couple months.

"Before our next call in October, we expect to be launching a major new version of our Sony PS3 user interface which doesn't require a disc and is dynamically updated continuously with the latest Netflix UI improvements," he said.

Hastings also commented on the newly announced Hulu Plus service, which is currently available in preview form on PS3 and will launch later this year.

"Once Hulu Plus has a few hundred thousand subscribers we'll be able to learn from consumers what they like about Hulu Plus," he added. "Then we'll work to incorporate what we find back into Netflix."

"The Hulu team is sharp, and we're not going to underestimate them."

Netflix recently announced the service would be available in Canada for the first time ever this fall.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1107663p1.html

Comments

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    awesome. but when does a one-disc Final Fantasy for 360 drop?
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Y'all had to use a disc?
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Y'all had to use a disc?

Yeah, reason why we going disc-less is b/c the agreement between Netflix and M$ ended
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    LOL! The things PSN users get excited about.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »

cs hit me up when yall get wifi, free online, charging controllers and blu ray along with free 3d upgrade capability
  • EmandWeezy=Goats
    EmandWeezy=Goats Members Posts: 1,034
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Xbox stay winning
  • earth two superman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »

like 360 ? swear about crosschat
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    When it's all said and done not buying games >>>>>>> paying $60 bucks for sub par games all year with the occasional block buster game. Now no more Ps3 vs 360 post until one of you ? can mod a ps3 and not buy games.
  • John_Blazini
    edited July 2010
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Lol are you bragging about being cheap? Or are you bragging because your system software is sub-par compared to ps3.....lol at you bragging about X-box flaw.......you have bad graphics, yall get 2 games a year, your systems look like ? (big piece of ugly plastic), controller dies you have to go to wal mart to get some batteries......only thing I ever really hear x box fanboys speak about is cross chat....lmao who gives a ? when I'm playing better games on ps3...and have the better system.....lol at not being able to go online with a modded game on xbox....? gotta have 2 seperate systems and ?

Lol cheap i have every system even built custom $2000 PC, I dont use wireless controller, I have the lateest firmware so I can go online. I have one xbox lol. I don't care if these systems get hacked ? I'm not on MS or Sonys pay roll all I know if I get ? free and that >>>> any argument you ? can muster up. Good try though.
  • Terrorist_Jones
    Terrorist_Jones Banned Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    all you ? lauce?!?! i can get all the movies netflix got with my ps3 web browser,, you ? like paying for free ? ?? i dont even buy bottled water,, why when i got a faucet. cheap ? stay winning in the long run!
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    netflix live streaming selection of movies blows anyway
    by the way
    360>>>>>>ps3
  • Terrorist_Jones
    edited July 2010
    Options
    360>>>>>>ps3

prove it! cuz im sitting here on my 360 and bored as hell,wat the ? else can i do on my 360 if i dont wanna play games?!?!?, i wanna watch a movie BUT i aint got netflix ,, so im SOL,, SMDH only thing i can do is LAST.FM,,, 360 aint got ? on the ps3,, so to sum it up ,,, PS3 web browser on my tv>>>>360 netflix
  • John_Blazini
    edited July 2010
    Options
    prove it! cuz im sitting here on my 360 and bored as hell,wat the ? else can i do on my 360 if i dont wanna play games?!?!?, i wanna watch a movie BUT i aint got netflix ,, so im SOL,, SMDH only thing i can do is LAST.FM,,, 360 aint got ? on the ps3,, so to sum it up ,,, PS3 web browser on my tv>>>>360 netflix

I have used my Ps3 browser once. I'm all set with that. a ? got a beastly PC with a 25/15MBps FIOS connection readily available.
  • bankrupt baller
    edited July 2010
    Options

lol prove what? my opinion? the fact that i owned a wii,ps3 and a 360 but sold the ps3 cause it was collecting dust?
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    blazini wrote: »
    When it's all said and done not buying games >>>>>>> paying $60 bucks for sub par games all year with the occasional block buster game. Now no more Ps3 vs 360 post until one of you ? can mod a ps3 and not buy games.

Broke ? talk
  • joshuaboy
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Netflix is not out here.

School me on this disc insert thing...

Y'all laucin again?

MS lost on this one.

They announced that they had an exclsuive deal (for a year) with Netflix to stream movies (http://www.next-gen.biz/news/netflix-xbox-360-console-exclusive-%E2%80%9Cfor-now%E2%80%9D)

A week later Netflix announced they were also bringing the service to PS3 and Wii. They took MS's money and used a loophole in the contract to bring it to PS3 and Wii with the use of a disc at the same time. Then after the year is up, you don't have to use the disc anymore
  • Terrorist_Jones
    edited July 2010
    Options
    lol prove what? my opinion? the fact that i owned a wii,ps3 and a 360 but sold the ps3 cause it was collecting dust?

got'cha.

@ blazini
    ? ,, you got a desktop in ur bedroom?,, thats college boy gangsta ? there,,,lol
  • John_Blazini
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Broke ? talk
    I own my own home.................... : (
  • John_Blazini
    edited July 2010
    Options
    got'cha.

@ blazini
    ? ,, you got a desktop in ur bedroom?,, thats college boy gangsta ? there,,,lol

yeah im fixning up my lower level where it use to be. but even when it was not in my room i still wasnt surfin the web in PS3.
  • earth two superman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    how do you even BUY wack games anyway? With all the demos, youtube videos, gamefly, etc. , how does one even buy wack games? If you buy a garbage game because you didnt do your research and got taken by the hype youre obviously not very smart.
  • joshuaboy
    edited July 2010
    Options
    how do you even BUY wack games anyway? With all the demos, youtube videos, gamefly, etc. , how does one even buy wack games? If you buy a garbage game because you didnt do your research and got taken by the hype youre obviously not very smart.

Co-sign. If demo's are not available I wait a day or two so I can read the reviews (especially user comments) and check multiple review scores (Metacritic).
  • earth two superman
    edited July 2010
    Options

the fact that you simply dont like the exclusives PS3 has to offer. so what? but at least you had the courtesy to actually get rid of it, instead of someone who keeps it and just mentions the same 1 game they like over and over again, even when it aint relevant to the thread.

and netflix streaming is better for TV than movies. They do have some good flicks, wish more of them were HD though.
  • earth two superman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Co-sign. If demo's are not available I wait a day or two so I can read the reviews (especially user comments) and check multiple review scores (Metacritic).

exactly, most will agree Infamous is a pretty good game, especially for a new IP. but if theres some ? who didnt like it, EVEN AFTER PSN OFFERED A 2 HR LONG DEMO FOR IT, why did you bother to buy it? youre not stupid for not liking it, but you are pretty ? stupid if you bought it w/o trying it out first for free. Smae with Killzone 2. You pretty much got the idea of what it was after the demo, yet you still bought and ? about it.

SMH ? talking Oh i bought and sold it 2 hrs later like we're supposed to feel sorry for you or the game LMAO
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    who pays for movies? That ? is a waste of money imo
  • bankrupt baller
    edited July 2010
    Options

cosign.....