"We had a bit of a kinky sex game and he's stopped breathing”

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
Man jailed over cling film mummification 'sex death'

_79812949_79458156.jpg
Richard Bowler was convicted of manslaughter through gross negligence following a trial

A man has been jailed for five years for causing the death of a man covered in cling film during a sex game.

Alun Williams, 47, died from a heart attack after being wrapped up during the ? session at a flat in Dover.

Richard Bowler, 35, of Sturry Road, Canterbury, was found guilty of manslaughter through gross negligence at Canterbury Crown Court on Thursday.

His co-defendant David Connor, 23, also of Sturry Road, was cleared of the same charge, which the pair had both denied.

'Delay caused death'
A post-mortem report said wrapping in cling film had caused Mr Williams to dehydrate, which led to his heart attack.

Judge Adele Williams told Bowler during sentencing: "In my judgment, you lost sight of the fact that day that Alun Williams was a human being and thought of him as your 'sex buddy', as you put it."

She said his failure to monitor or check Mr Williams led to his death and the delay in Bowler getting help was "reprehensible".

The court heard Mr Williams, the head chef for P&O Ferries, was unable to regulate his body temperature after being what was described in court as effectively "mummified".

He had an interest in ? and "mummification" and would meet men online for sex, jurors were told.

Mr Williams visited the pair at the flat in East Street where Bowler, who has cerebral palsy, and Mr Connor, his informal carer, were then living.

Just after 06:00 BST on 20 August, Mr Connor walked to the taxi rank where his mother worked and said: "Mum, Richard's killed someone."

During a phone call to the emergency services the same morning, Bowler said: "It's a bit embarrassing. It's my friend, he's called Alun. I have known him for five years. I'm ? , he's ? .

_79459330_79459328.jpg
David Connor said he was only acting on the instructions of Mr Williams and Bowler

"We had a bit of a kinky sex game and he's stopped breathing.

"I thought he was just sleeping. I am sorry, I should have called before. He takes ketamine and that mongs him out.

"He's on my bed, he's wrapped in a PVC sheet with tape and that."

After being put through to the ambulance service, he cut open the wrapping to perform CPR.

Bowler denied the charge of manslaughter through gross negligence, saying he took all reasonable care of Mr Williams and could not have foreseen that covering him in cling film and PVC would have led to his death.

Mr Connor said he was only acting on the instructions of Mr Williams and Bowler.

Police found drugs including ketamine, ? , methamphetamine and amyl nitrate, otherwise known as poppers, in Mr Williams' rucksack.

Following the sentencing, Det Insp Richard Vickery, said: "This is a tragic death of a man well-liked by his colleagues and friends.

"Bowler had a responsibility to look after the welfare of Mr Williams when he entered their home and spent the evening with him.

"Due to the nature in which he was restrained he should never have left him alone for extended periods of time, but he did.

"I hope this verdict and sentence goes some way to providing those who were close to Mr Williams some closure after what has been a very difficult time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-30536036

Comments