Happy Kwanzaa

Options
THIRDSUPREME
THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
Happy Kwanzaa!

The first principle celebrated today Dec. 26 is Umoja.

Umoja principle instructs that each member of the family and by extension the community is constituted by a web of interpersonal relationships. The health and possibilities of the family and community, therefore, is dependent upon the quality of relationship within the family and community.

My daughter asked me if I would celebrate Kwanzaa this year, she aint slick (more gifts), but I figured it would be good to do something that promoted black unity this year.

Anybody else celebrating Kwanzaa?
How long you been doing it?

Happy Kwanzaa - Teddy Pendergrass: http://youtu.be/EzrYUhMJZY0

Comments

• BrideofKilla
    BrideofKilla Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My family used to celebrate when i was growing up. I still remember the seven principles but I haven't celebrated in quite a while.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Happy Kwanaza, keep this alive for seven days
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    Every day ima post a new principle.
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    happy Kwanzaa to all those celebrating it.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    celebrating kwanzaa. its on my bucket list
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Happy Kwanzaa.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Umoja (Unity): To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace and great drop
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol this ? doesn't celebrate this ? irl man! Stop playing
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    Really ? ? Lol. Okay.

• jono
    Options
    The Charles H. Wright African American museum here in Detroit will be having events based on each principle daily

For Detroitiers and those in the area who might be interested
    http://thewright.org/component/eventlist/details/1212-kwanzaa-celebration
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh I'm just learning this FML.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    dont celebrate it but Peace to those that do
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    Second day of Kwanza- Dec.27
    Kujichagulia (Self-Determination): To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves.

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't ? with Kwanzaa because Dr. Maulana Karenga was an F.B.I. snitch and caused serious damage to the movement. Supporting Kwanzaa is by default co-signing snitching.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't ? with Kwanzaa because Dr. Maulana Karenga was an F.B.I. snitch and caused serious damage to the movement. Supporting Kwanzaa is by default co-signing snitching.

Speak on it
  • jono
    Options

Saw this coming.
  • jono
    Options
    The principles of Kwanzaa promote black unity, awareness, strength, and family. I wouldn't give a ? less who created it and why. If I'm going to celebrate any holiday this is it.

A lot of you ? ? rockin green on st. Patricks day goin to bars and playin the token.

Lot of you goof ? bussin firecrackers on independence day (when your people were slaves).

Lot of you nigras are giving a fat jolly imaginary white man credit for your hard work in the name of a white ? on Christmas. All your kids know is the white man is good and the white man is ? .

After looking at the principles of Kwanzaa this ? need to be celebrated every week in every black house hold. You can call it what you want ? . Call it No.? .hatred
    day.

Kwanzaa is the only holiday for black folks....

208clr5.jpg

Same to these clowns that celebrate cinco de mayo
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just left the Kwanzaa festival here....
    :-B
  • jono
    Options
    I went to the Kujichagulia presentation at the museum today. I didn't stay for the whole thing but it was a great show.

The opening ceremony is always my favorite part. The candle lighting, libations and the singing of the "Black National Anthem"
    http://youtu.be/ya7Bn7kPkLo

Michael Imhotep from African Empowerment Network did a short presentation on What Kwanzaa is and why it's important to celebrate it.

A young African dance troupe did a performance, they killed it then I had to go while they were doing a poem for a guy who started the Malcolm X Grassroots organization here.

Still considering whether I will go out again tomorrow night
  • THIRDSUPREME
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    The principles of Kwanzaa promote black unity, awareness, strength, and family. I wouldn't give a ? less who created it and why. If I'm going to celebrate any holiday this is it.

A lot of you ? ? rockin green on st. Patricks day goin to bars and playin the token.

Lot of you goof ? bussin firecrackers on independence day (when your people were slaves).

Lot of you nigras are giving a fat jolly imaginary white man credit for your hard work in the name of a white ? on Christmas. All your kids know is the white man is good and the white man is ? .

After looking at the principles of Kwanzaa this ? need to be celebrated every week in every black house hold. You can call it what you want ? . Call it No.? .hatred
    day.

Kwanzaa is the only holiday for black folks....

208clr5.jpg

Same to these clowns that celebrate cinco de mayo

Or...these ? that go to the ? damb puerto rican day parade. Nah ? ....I aint never been to the puerto rican day parade. But but but they got ? ....you gotta fight 5 latin kings to holla at a ? at that parade yet you go every year. I am sick and tired of these sellout ass ? .

But the st. Patricks day ? ...

I have never seen once in my entire life seen a white person CELEBRATING anything that has to do with African culture. I'm not talking vacations and ? neither. Yet every year I see theae ? ? wit green t-shirts on and ? wit a mob of crackers.

Ras Kas said it best.
    Jews don't salute the ? ? but ? pledge allegiance to the flag that acosted ya.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Celebrating it without the gifting part this year, me and my wife are just discussing the principles each day and trying to reinforce them in our lives.

First time, thanks for the thread.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Went to the Apollo Theatre last night. Me and my lady took my nieces there to see a Kwanzaa "Regeneration" show. Simply breathtaking.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm probly gunna get hate for this but w/e. I dont celebrate Kwanzaa, cuz i think making up a whole holiday " just for blacks" is stupid and makes us look needy once again. Makes more sense, if u researched ur roots and found out ur ancestors religion, instead of tryin to fit in, when whites celebrate w/e bs religion they follow. And my biggest ? beef is that imitation menorah.