Macklemore admits to white privilege and says he needs to know his place in Hip-Hop

Options

Comments

• BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    BoogaSuga wrote: »
    LOL we're gonna pretend like Black people took over basketball when every team owner except 1 is still white and every NBA commissioner has been white since the NBA's inception? White people are still the gatekeepers of basketball..Black people aren't the gatekeepers or Rock, Country, Jazz ..

Black folk run basketball. Period.

They may not make up the owners in the NBA but if every black player & coach left the league to start their own all black league it would ? on an all white NBA.

Same with football.

Start an all black league with what wealth/capital? Just because Black players are the most marketable (exploitable) doesn't mean they "run" anything. "Run" implies power. The Black players in the NBA and NFL don't have power.

All i ever hear on this site is talk about needing our own. Build our own...

If the black players left the league it would be all over for the NBA. People would still love basketball and would pay to watch an all black league.

They make up like 80% of the league so i can say they "took over" imo
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darius Rucker popped off in rock and country no ? given but a couple whites get popular and people lose it. How many people brought Gregory Porter, Lenny Kravitz, or Darius Ruckers albums? If we support them more black artist might go that direction. Thats what makes Ray Charles so great to me. He just made great music with no ? given. Now we only dabble in rap r&b, reggae, or pop
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I knew he wasn't a fruad from jump ic ? just couldn't accept it
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL we're gonna pretend like Black people took over basketball when every team owner except 1 is still white and every NBA commissioner has been white since the NBA's inception? White people are still the gatekeepers of basketball..Black people aren't the gatekeepers or Rock, Country, Jazz ..

They may not make up the owners in the NBA but if every black player & coach left the league to start their own all black league it would ? on an all white NBA.

Same with football.

Start an all black league with what wealth/capital? Just because Black players are the most marketable (exploitable) doesn't mean they "run" anything. "Run" implies power. The Black players in the NBA and NFL don't have power.

If the black players left the league it would be all over for the NBA. People would still love basketball and would pay to watch an all black league.

"If"

How did they take over when they only see a small fraction of the revenue that they're generating?

Hypothetically speaking if they were to pool their resources and have a mass exodus from the NBA to form a new league, that would be great. But let's not act like there wouldn't be a fresh new batch of willing Black players that would eagerly replace them. The NBA would just use their vast marketing dollars to create new stars.

And there would be no sudden leaving. These ? are under contract.
  • Say What
    Options

Same with football.

"If"

How did they take over when they only see a small fraction of the revenue that they're generating?

Hypothetically speaking if they were to pool their resources and have a mass exodus from the NBA to form a new league, that would be great. But let's not act like there wouldn't be a fresh new batch of willing Black players that would eagerly replace them. The NBA would just use their vast marketing dollars to create new stars.

Revenue and on the court play are two different things. If you look at it that way blacks never owned any music genre
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I peeped this ? this morning. I'm glad he stepped up to the plate and said what needed to be said, and I'm even more glad it was him who said it, because it wouldn't have been as powerful coming from anyone else. Not even Em. Macklemore is their golden child.

You can tell he's worn out from real ? blowing his ? up with hate scud missiles. I'm glad he's taken a brake from caping for the ? community, to help the culture that's made him rich.

The white ? always got it, but this particularly statement was eloquent. Hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears.

? ....i hate you
  • Say What
    Options
    I understand what you are saying from a power standpoint but the comparison doesn't mach up very well. If Mexicans stop working at Taco Bell they still are going to be the same because you can find anyone to fill that void an maintain their profits. You can't do that in the NBA
  • Stiff
    Options
    Say What wrote: »

Same with football.

"If"

Revenue and on the court play are two different things. If you look at it that way blacks never owned any music genre

Black people owned every genre until they didn't own them anymore.
  • Stiff
    Options
    I understand what you are saying from a power standpoint but the comparison doesn't mach up very well. If Mexicans stop working at Taco Bell they still are going to be the same because you can find anyone to fill that void an maintain their profits. You can't do that in the NBA

If all these current Black players were to leave the NBA you don't think they could just find some more to replace them? Hold special drafts to pull some out of College, bring some in from the D-Leagues, hold try-outs, bring in overseas players etc. Launch some marketing campaigns, pump a few dollars in advertising, get some new endorsement deals flowing and BOOM brand new stars.

The show would definitely go on. ..that's a multi billion dollar industry.
  • Say What
    Options

If all these current Black players were to leave the NBA you don't think they could just find some more to replace them? Hold special drafts to pull some out of College, bring some in from the D-Leagues, hold try-outs, bring in overseas players etc. Launch some marketing campaigns, pump a few dollars in advertising, get some new endorsement deals flowing and BOOM brand new stars.

They would lose profits and if long term credibility. It would basically be the ABA or USBA. They nit seeing the same profits
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options

Honestly

if the black players who are currently in the league leave and go and start their 'own' league then the NBA would have a problem..back in the day we had our 'own' leagues in a sense...but have become brainwashed to playing in their leagues..and when I say leagues..I"m speaking on a vast majority of things...but in CFB, you had the SWAC which and you have the MEAC etc other leagues in CFB, but I think the show can be stopped, just with anything if we educate ourselves and understand that we can be collecting the top dollars as these owners...it's not that hard
  • Stiff
    Options

They would lose profits and if long term credibility. It would basically be the ABA or USBA. They nit seeing the same profits

They would lose short term credibility probably but on the long term they would be fine. The players in the league now aren't the last wave of marketable talented basketball players. They would still have all of their network deals and corporate relationships to rebuild visibility. Unlike a hypothetical "Exodus" league. 60% of NBA players go broke within 5 years of leaving the league so again, where would the money come from to form this new league that will compete with the multi-billion dollar league which is the NBA? Kickstarter campaign?
  • Stiff
    Options

Honestly

if the black players who are currently in the league leave and go and start their 'own' league then the NBA would have a problem..back in the day we had our 'own' leagues in a sense...but have become brainwashed to playing in their leagues..and when I say leagues..I"m speaking on a vast majority of things...but in CFB, you had the SWAC which and you have the MEAC etc other leagues in CFB, but I think the show can be stopped, just with anything if we educate ourselves and understand that we can be collecting the top dollars as these owners...it's not that hard

Don't get me wrong. Anything's possible but we're talking about the same NBA players who responded to a racist owner's remarks by throwing their warm up jerseys in the middle of the court before the game out of protest(the game that they definitely still played).
  • Knock_Twice
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think David Banner said it..this is the only genre of music (hiphop/rap) where there are no checks and balances....anybody can come on the scene...it wasn't like that back in the day..

Country or Rock N Roll..you just can't do that
  • Stiff
    Options
    I think David Banner said it..this is the only genre of music (hiphop/rap) where there are no checks and balances....anybody can come on the scene...it wasn't like that back in the day..

I think the problem is in too many cases we as a culture seek validation from the mainstream. We place more value on major label releases than from independent/mixtape releases. We as fans place so much focus on first week numbers. We complain about grammy recognition. It's like we value mainstream acceptance more than we value acceptance from each other.

So when you have a white rapper come in, they don't have to seek approval from "the hip hop community" ; they can just bypass it and seek mainstream approval like we do, but of course it's much easier for them because they "look" like the mainstream.
  • Say What
    Options

They would lose short term credibility probably but on the long term they would be fine. The players in the league now aren't the last wave of marketable talented basketball players. They would still have all of their network deals and corporate relationships to rebuild visibility. Unlike a hypothetical "Exodus" league. 60% of NBA players go broke within 5 years of leaving the league so again, where would the money come from to form this new league that will compete with the multi-billion dollar league which is the NBA? Kickstarter campaign?

The money will follow the talent.
  • Knock_Twice
    Options

I think the problem is in too many cases we as a culture seek validation from the mainstream. We place more value on major label releases than from independent/mixtape releases. We as fans place so much focus on first week numbers. We complain about grammy recognition. It's like we value mainstream acceptance more than we value acceptance from each other.

So when you have a white rapper come in, they don't have to seek approval from "the hip hop community" ; they can just bypass it and seek mainstream approval like we do, but of course it's much easier for them because they "look" like the mainstream.

Where is the hip hop community when it comes to washing out these artists??

I mean I never heard an iggy album other than the stuff on radio but to have her up going for a Grammy..for what again?? what was so Grammish about her work she done in Rap.. and nobody is saying anything about it..
    It's like this..when Vianille Ice came on the scene..dude was big no doubt, but there was a check n balance in place..with Suge trying to extort dude over his royalties or whatever the case it was hanging him over the balcony ..granted it was wrong, but Suge wasn't having it...where are these cats at now?
  • Say What
    Options

Where is the hip hop community when it comes to washing out these artists??

I mean I never heard an iggy album other than the stuff on radio but to have her up going for a Grammy..for what again?? what was so Grammish about her work she done in Rap.. and nobody is saying anything about it..
    It's like this..when Vianille Ice came on the scene..dude was big no doubt, but there was a check n balance in place..with Suge trying to extort dude over his royalties or whatever the case it was hanging him over the balcony ..granted it was wrong, but Suge wasn't having it...where are these cats at now?

The question is why does metros covet a Grammy so much? How often do they get it right or even close?
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "PEople ? me when they say white men cant jump....WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP? THEY DONT HAVE TO...THEY OWN THE TEAM"
    -Paul Mooney

"I dont wanna be as rich as Shaq...I wanna the muthafukka that writes Shaq's check."
    -Chris Rock

...point is most of the players may be black. And yes if they banded together they could run a league with maybe fewer teams. But them ? can't even show league wide unity wearing a ? "I Can't Breath" shirt or not playing until a racist NBA owner is off a team. You think them ? really gonna run these billionaires owners? PFFT they aint ALL Lebron & Kobe. 90 percent of the NBA is replaceable bruh...
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I was him I tell y'all ? kiss my ass. I earned this ? . What's more hip hop than not giving a ? bout people's opinion and doing you.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    Options
    gemini86 wrote: »
    this ? is stupid to me. call me a ? but why is it ok to act like that. we do alot of ? that other cultures started and no one says anything. why do we have to act like that with rap music. if all cultures acted like that then there would be no room to grow in anything

Exactly
  • A$AP_A$TON
    Options
    You ? want it one way. Word to Marlo
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he speaks so well.

• #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »
    "PEople ? me when they say white men cant jump....WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP? THEY DONT HAVE TO...THEY OWN THE TEAM"
    -Paul Mooney

"I dont wanna be as rich as Shaq...I wanna the muthafukka that writes Shaq's check."
    -Chris Rock

...point is most of the players may be black. And yes if they banded together they could run a league with maybe fewer teams. But them ? can't even show league wide unity wearing a ? "I Can't Breath" shirt or not playing until a racist NBA owner is off a team. You think them ? really gonna run these billionaires owners? PFFT they aint ALL Lebron & Kobe. 90 percent of the NBA is replaceable bruh...

I love the NBA and I have to unfortunately co-sign this statement a thousand times.

The people who think it would be easy for the players to create there own league competing against the NBA are very misguided. Some of the players are millionaires after everything is said and done with taxes, bills and so forth but all of the owners are millionaires and a good percentage are billionaires. Most of the people that own these teams do so because it's a hobby to them. They don't truly depend on it to make them money and some teams (not as many as they would have you believe) don't even make money. It is totally different owning a team and running it as your sole way of making ends meet as opposed to it being your play toy.