Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo and Youth Official Album Discussion 1/20/15

Options

Comments

• 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tetsuo & Youth is raw, but after a week or so of being out, I can't say it's a better album than the fast talkin' on the hustle of The Cool

Y'all really think the lyrics Lupe spits are that hard to decipher? I never felt that way
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »
    Forrest hills has no replay value.

Tetsuo and youth is a much better project, has like 3 skippable tracks though.

F&l2 the only skippable track was " how dare you" damn that song was so ASS.

I strongly disagree. How dare you was a good song imo.. but I like all the songs on fnl2
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    9TRAY wrote: »
    Tetsuo & Youth is raw, but after a week or so of being out, I can't say it's a better album than the fast talkin' on the hustle of The Cool

Y'all really think the lyrics Lupe spits are that hard to decipher? I never felt that way

They are to your average rap fan who only listen for production anyway.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So now Forrest Hills has no replay value?

FOH man...I can't deal
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bought forrest hills the day it came out, and i actually liked the album.

That being said that cd sitting in my truck collecting dust.

I mean you are talking hardly any guest appearances and weak production.

Its not really a diss but there aren't many artists that can make a hot cd (with hot being high replay value) sticking to those guidelines.

Even the recent classic good kid mad city had features and crazy production.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Id say features are a case by case thing.

They at least break up the monotony of an album.

Dont get me wrong im not saying anything was wrong with the album outside of replay value which for me is a major reason to actually purchase albums instead of individual tracks.

• Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chopper is 9 minutes worth of dead space

Outside of the hook it's trash
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Man am I the only one who still is having trouble trying to find a way to listen to this album? The lyrics are so complex to listen to but when I try, the production is so amazing, and then I have to focus on the "feel" smh I don't think I will fully grasp the concepts of each record till the 80th listen. I just find key words now, but I'm still lost. For example the third verse on that Maji record I still haven't noticed it yet, I'm still trying to understand wtf the person is saying on the hook. But then I'm amazed at the sounds....

I'm trying to avoid rap genius or other deciphers Lol.

Start off with rap genius and then it will make sense to you some of the stuff you just won get because of some of the reference there are lyrics that you can make your own interpretations.. and yeah some of the hooks are hard to make out at first but .. its better to know than just have music you hear..

LISTEN TO IT
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Chicity wrote: »

I don't think it's trash but definitely way too many wack ? on a pretty nice beat.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for listening anyway

However your opinion on HipHop on this site music has always sucked
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bout to listen to it in reverse someones basic summation made sense and when you look at the tracks in relation to the seasons especially from the top with the christ references make more sense
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

I don't think it's trash but definitely way too many wack ? on a pretty nice beat.
    They all killed that ? if you bothered to listen to their lyrics. Not a whack verse.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Album is good. Not better than the cool

But the way u ? are going into scientifical aspects of a damn rap album needs to stop lol
  • Negro_Caesar
    Options
    why you ready to die, you just a baby

31BMGefIx2L.jpg

why them tears under your eyes, you just a baby

51%2Bp77Bj99L.jpg

keep your head up in the sky, you just a baby

Nothing_Was_the_Same_cover_1.png

quit chasing money, nvm, you just a baby

NirvanaNevermindalbumcover.jpg

why you wanna be born again, you just a baby

BlackSabbath-BornAgain-09-14-11-290x300.jpg
    (or since biggie died so young...)
    B.I.G._-_Born_Again.png

why you playing in the streets, you just a baby

NasIllmatic.jpg

? definitely went over my head
  • Negro_Caesar
    Options
    But y incorporate nirvana in that? Thats a little off
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peanut_205 wrote: »
    But y incorporate nirvana in that? Thats a little off

Why not?
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    supportin lupe the killa
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9TRAY wrote: »

its not that his lyrics are "hard to decipher", but if you're not privy to his references/allusions or have a general idea of what a song is about....you're going to be lost.

take "Body of Work" for example. If you play that for the average person, the entire song sans the production will go over their head. on the surface, the song just sounds like random bars that are strung together because they rhyme.

Thats my whole feeling of this album. I really respect it, but its looked upon as a abstract project, thats why the Cool will always be my favorite Lupe record. It was abstract, but also comprehensive and emotional at the same time. I think T and Y sounds soncially amazing, but its not hitting people like The Cool becuase it takes a while to understand wtf he is saying.

And im a fan of ":Da Vinci Rap" but some of his refrences and how the songs are mixed makes it easy to miss what they are saying becuase its not clear. (Madonna hook)

I think in the end i will get the Childish Gambino "Because the Internet" effect from this project which will make it a classic (Because the Internet is a classic album, forreal) because over time you understand clear what is said or you can take your own perspective of the song meaning. Which i think what he is trying to do.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Aight real talk, I see where you are coming from it to does seem kinda random placed but think of it like this:

A) it's a dope song
    B) every one one the track did what they we're asked to do and did it very well, be it lyrically or flow wise
    C) it fits perfect with the winter season....? cold and harsh...I feel like it's the perfect track to follow that I interlude. And then to be followed by deliver....yeh it all drops nicely