DC Plans to Invest $20 Million in Minority Male Students

Options
desertrain10
desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
DC Plans to Invest $20 Million in Minority Male Students
Posted: 01/27/2015 9:20 am EST Updated: 4 hours ago

D.C. Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson announced a plan to invest $20 million to support programs for Washington, D.C.'s men of color. This includes opening an all-boys college preparatory high school in 2017 under the "Empowering Males of Color" initiative.

The funding for the support programs will come from private and public sources. The D.C. Public Education Fund is working to raise money to support these initiatives outside the operating budget.

Henderson's decision to invest seriously in the specific needs of minority boys has everything to do with "mathematics," she says.

Black and Latino boys make up 43 percent of the students enrolled in D.C.'s public schools. The graduation rates, reading and math scores and attendance of minority boys are all lagging in the District. By fourth grade, nearly half of the city's black and Latino male students are reading below grade level.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-bruenig/white-high-school-dropout_b_5881838.html

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a damn shame that something like this is not the norm...when its already been proved that these things work wonders in minority areas and produce extremely positive results

schools in areas of Brooklyn and Atlanta are a testament to that
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? DC public schools...took me 25 years to figure out the when to use know versus no

good ? though.....but building and funding is just part of the battle.......just gotta get folks parents more involved b/c that's where it all starts....i'd say outta the 8 dudes i mentor only 4 of them can really read for real...It's sad as ? .....and they want some help...they embarrassed to ask for help at school and realize that they are gonna get passed on to the next grade regardless....parents won't help out. they got time to get checks off the backs of thier kids but own't help them learn. I thank ? everyday for my grandparents
  • Copper
    Options
    and smh @ white high school dropouts being more successful than black college graduates

and they say there is no discrimination in the work field and AA is not needed

its already been proven that a white person with a criminal record and HS degree gets more call backs and offers than a black person with a college degree

remember that black lady that changed her name on her resume to something white sounding and got like 3xs the call backs?

but according to clarence ? thomas AA is not needed and is reverse racism even though he admits to being helped by it...I hate the fact that he is from Savannah
  • desertrain10
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    and smh @ white high school dropouts being more successful than black college graduates

and they say there is no discrimination in the work field and AA is not needed

its already been proven that a white person with a criminal record and HS degree gets more call backs and offers than a black person with a college degree

remember that black lady that changed her name on her resume to something white sounding and got like 3xs the call backs?

but according to clarence ? thomas AA is not needed and is reverse racism even though he admits to being helped by it...I hate the fact that he is from Savannah

yea you can present people with all the numbers you want but if what you are proposing as a solution compromises them in any way you might as well be talking to a wall
  • desertrain10
    edited January 2015
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    ? DC public schools...took me 25 years to figure out the when to use know versus no

good ? though.....but building and funding is just part of the battle.......just gotta get folks parents more involved b/c that's where it all starts....i'd say outta the 8 dudes i mentor only 4 of them can really read for real...It's sad as ? .....and they want some help...they embarrassed to ask for help at school and realize that they are gonna get passed on to the next grade regardless....parents won't help out. they got time to get checks off the backs of thier kids but own't help them learn. I thank ? everyday for my grandparents

yea there are some dead beat parents

but than some parents can barely read themselves

or work so much don't have the time to get involved

its just sad

its great you're a mentor, more of us have to step up
  • BlackCat
    BlackCat Members Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a good news but they need need to reform the whole DC public school system. It's the worst school system I have ever seen, especially the secondary schools. There is no way kids that graduated can from DC public schools can survive college. They don't teach them enough to be able to make it in college and absolutely no resources. It's so sad. I feel bad for the children who can't afford private school because DC public schools are a joke.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can blame the system because it is nameless and faceless. But that is no excuse for parental failure. Even bad schools will produce some doctors/lawyers and other high level professionals. The kids who have parental educational support will always outperform those who don't no matter which school system is involved. I really hope this program gets taken full advantage of by black parents in the area.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For some reason I thought you meant DC comics
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options

Bruh....
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What high school you graduate from; but on the real the parents struggle with reading and math too and that ? trickles down, how a kid going to ask his parents for help when they can't do basic work
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • Copper
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    For some reason I thought you meant DC comics

HbldIlx.jpg
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope this has many positive results.

Being a product of the DC school system I really don't have any faith in it working out.

Please prove me wrong DC school system!!!
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    You can blame the system because it is nameless and faceless. But that is no excuse for parental failure. Even bad schools will produce some doctors/lawyers and other high level professionals. The kids who have parental educational support will always outperform those who don't no matter which school system is involved. I really hope this program gets taken full advantage of by black parents in the area.

This
  • lamontbdc
    Options

What high school you graduate from; but on the real the parents struggle with reading and math too and that ? trickles down, how a kid going to ask his parents for help when they can't do basic work

Ballou and yea it does trickle down. Then add in the lack of discipline and it's just a never ending cycle. I mean i seen it growing up for real. I can remember all my friends who used to be out riding bikes and ? at 1am on a school night. Most of them ain't mount to much or just getting by. A lot of times it's hard for the teacher to teach them b/c they spend half the time trying to get them to just show up pay attention and be quiet in class. Just some basic structure and discipline. And a lot of kids will not respect female teachers b/c they haven't been shown by a man how to respect women in general

• lamontbdc
    Options
    JokerKing wrote: »

Bruh....

i was a work in progress