Was Saturday Night Live Ever Truly Funny?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Lights, Camera, Action!
SNL is an institution and has produced some of the funniest people ever, but I've had this thought for a very long time, with the exception of a few stand outs that seem to come through, can we honestly say that show is consistently funny from beginning to end.

For example, Chappelle's Show, and In Living Color were funny from the beginning of the show to end, where as with Saturday Night Live, you literally have to watch damn near all 90 minutes of that ? to even ? a smile, but this is the cold part, Saturday Night Live makes funny people unfunny. Case in point, Tina Fey.

I watched 30 Rock and laughed my ass off. Again the show is funny from beginning to end. We all know that Tracy Morgan is the ? , but that Brian Fellows ? was hot garbage, and Chris Rock's best work definitely was not on SNL. You obviously have to be funny to get on SNL, but it seem as soon as a person gets on there, they purposely hold back on their best material, build audience, leave Saturday Night Live, then "miraculously," get funny against. My boy says that a lot of has to do with Loren Michaels and SNL is a reflection of his brand of comedy with is obviously on some out of touch hella white appealing to the Midwest demographic ? .

My question is it's obvious that SNL is in a very vulnerable position. Why haven't the other networks, (especially the cable networks,) Hello, Comedy Central, come out with a sketch comedy show in the same format, 90 minutes, a host, with a musical guest, with the exception being it's edgier, cooler, more provocative, and (most importantly,) more funnier than Saturday Night Live? And don't say say Mad TV that ? actually succeeded in being less funny than SNL

Comments