Can We All Agree That Tom Brady >>> Peyton Manning?

Options

Comments

• _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »
    R.D. wrote: »
    ckfree wrote: »
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Why is Manning overrated so much? Dude has one superbowl and in that year in the playoffs he had 3 tds and 7 ints. Has been a career choker all his life. Played in a weak division 98 percent of his career. Jags, Titans, Texans (expansion team) and when he is done padding stats on those weak teams he goes to the playoffs and plays real teams and has 10 one and dones? and a losing playoff record.....smh. He is not even top 10 of all time, he is a stat padder

he should thank the heavens he got to play against the worst starting super bowl qb of the 21st century

Weak ass excuse

He was good enough to get them to the bowl

Probably nothing too different they do say he is a control freak and with people like that once control is lost they panic like crazy

Slept on quote right here.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tom Brady
    coop9889 wrote: »
    Case in point... In this last Superbowl, before that last interception...

If the seahawks run the clock down to 1 second (which they could've done) and then run it in with Lynch, they win and Brady is now 3-3 in Superbowls. And people look at him different. But what happened happened, because of Brady's DEFENSE, and he is now 4-2. Many plays have happened over Brady's CAREER to make him 4-2, both in and out of his favor.

So when people compare SB rings it's laughable to say that that is the sole comparison required to validate a QB's skill. No QB in the history of the NFL won ANY SB ring by himself.

In the last SB the defense did what it was suppose to do and get the final stop to seal it after Brady brought them back to take the lead for the 3rd straight SB....

Stop acting like the defense bailed Brady out when Brady bailed the D out, the Pats D even let the Hawks score in 40 seconds before halftime after just a Pats score, the pats D made it come down to the final play and thank ? somebody stepped up this time compared to the previous 2 trips....

My point is if they lost this SB then it would've been on the defense easily not Brady, all the Defense did was clean up their own mess on that last play not Bradys and the O...
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blu197 wrote: »
    Case in point... In this last Superbowl, before that last interception...

If the seahawks run the clock down to 1 second (which they could've done) and then run it in with Lynch, they win and Brady is now 3-3 in Superbowls. And people look at him different. But what happened happened, because of Brady's DEFENSE, and he is now 4-2. Many plays have happened over Brady's CAREER to make him 4-2, both in and out of his favor.

So when people compare SB rings it's laughable to say that that is the sole comparison required to validate a QB's skill. No QB in the history of the NFL won ANY SB ring by himself.

In the last SB the defense did what it was suppose to do and get the final stop to seal it after Brady brought them back to take the lead for the 3rd straight SB....

Stop acting like the defense bailed Brady out when Brady bailed the D out, the Pats D even let the Hawks score in 40 seconds before halftime after just a Pats score, the pats D made it come down to the final play and thank ? somebody stepped up this time compared to the previous 2 trips....

My point is if they lost this SB then it would've been on the defense easily not Brady, all the Defense did was clean up their own mess on that last play not Bradys and the O...

This is where you are wrong.

When bringing up Brady vs whoever... people would say "Well Brady is 3-3 in Superbowls!" without bringing up any detail of whether he did his part in the superbowls or not.

100% fact.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brady now. The interesting thing about this debate is when it was 3-1 Brady it was hard to put Brady over Peyton even with that. Realistically, if Peyton won one more he would probably be considered the goat as again. Brady isn't the goat but he is ranked higher than Peyton now.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Brady was better when it mattered and Peyton wasn't.
    Brady by a mile at this point.

Peyton gots (regular season) stats, and Brady gots 4 Superbowl rings (plural) while Peyton gots a ring (singular)
    Individual stats would be cool if they were playing Baseball but they ain't
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree with most of what @coop9889

Yea Peyton he didn't play his best football the year he won the SB but he was clutch when the game was on the line

Majority of his ints was in the first two games with 5, and he only threw 2 after

Plus HE did battle back against NE to GO TO the SB

Peyton has taken TWO different teams to the SB with THREE different head coaches

LMAO @ that being overrated

Didn't vote because Legacy wise I'm going to put Brady over Peyton

Player wise I'm going with Peyton

Peyton is going to HAVE to win another mvp and a SB to be put in the discussion
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lol @ stat padder. Do you even know what that means

And should QBs only be judged on their stats?

Because if your argument is he is a stat padder, then you should find a way to judge him OTHER than his stats, dontcha think.

Read what I wrote before and then re read your reply. What else should we judge a QB on? Manning gets judged on his regular season stats (padding them in a weak division over a decade mind you) Because of his stats he gets included in the GOAT conversation. I am trying to figure out how Manning is better then Montana, Elway or Young......hell even Troy Aikman. That's right he has superior stats then them in the REGULAR SEASON. To judge a QB I need to see playoff wins, championships and stats. Manning has 10 one and dones, a losing playoff record and chokes in clutch moments..... How can Manning be in GOAT conversations with that track record when other QBs accomplished more then he did in the playoffs. He is lucky that colts defense played out of their mind in the playoffs that year when he threw 3 tds and 7 ints and played Rex Grossman lead Bears....smh......I will take Brees over Manning in the playoffs and a shocker I will take JOE FLACCO in the playoffs over Manning yea I said it
  • coop9889
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lol @ stat padder. Do you even know what that means

And should QBs only be judged on their stats?

Because if your argument is he is a stat padder, then you should find a way to judge him OTHER than his stats, dontcha think.

Read what I wrote before and then re read your reply. What else should we judge a QB on? Manning gets judged on his regular season stats (padding them in a weak division over a decade mind you) Because of his stats he gets included in the GOAT conversation. I am trying to figure out how Manning is better then Montana, Elway or Young......hell even Troy Aikman. That's right he has superior stats then them in the REGULAR SEASON. To judge a QB I need to see playoff wins, championships and stats. Manning has 10 one and dones, a losing playoff record and chokes in clutch moments..... How can Manning be in GOAT conversations with that track record when other QBs accomplished more then he did in the playoffs. He is lucky that colts defense played out of their mind in the playoffs that year when he threw 3 tds and 7 ints and played Rex Grossman lead Bears....smh......I will take Brees over Manning in the playoffs and a shocker I will take JOE FLACCO in the playoffs over Manning yea I said it

Answer me this. If Brady was drafted to the Cleveland Browns, or you put Brady on the 2-14 Bucs or Titans this year, does he win the Super Bowl? Of course not.

Point being no one is stupid enough to say a QB can do it all by himself.

So why do you judge Manning ONLY BY his postseason record, when even you acknowledge that a good team is required, and the defense that the QB has is an important factor?

He is lucky that colts defense played out of their mind in the playoffs that year
  • coop9889
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I will take Brees over Manning in the playoffs and a shocker I will take JOE FLACCO in the playoffs over Manning yea I said it

In the grand scheme of things this means jack ? .

You know why?

Well one, you wouldn't take Flacco's career or Brees' career over Manning's.

And two, because if you were starting a team today you wouldn't take Prime Flacco over Prime Manning.

You know why?

Cuz Manning is a much better QB than Flacco in general and you would be laughed off this board if you try to say otherwise.

Hence you having to specify "in the playoffs".
  • coop9889
    Options
    To further solidify that you pretty much don't know what you're saying....
    Manning gets judged on his regular season stats (padding them in a weak division over a decade mind you) Because of his stats he gets included in the GOAT conversation.

So Manning stat pads because he's in a weak division? Hmmm so what is Brady doing? Since the AFC South became what it is today (2002), lets take a look at what Brady and Manning had to go up against: (These don't include Pats/Colts/Broncos)

AFC East: a total of 277 wins
    AFC South/West: a total of 284 wins

AFC East teams to make playoffs that are NOT the Patriots: 6
    AFC South/West teams to make playoffs that are NOT the Colts/Broncos: 9

So overall, the teams in Manning's divisions have been consistently better than the ones in Brady's division.

But you ain't said nothing about Brady "stat padding".
    How can Manning be in GOAT conversations with that track record when other QBs accomplished more then he did in the playoffs.

Is that so? I know you are SOLELY talking wins, when I've proven that even you know it's dependent on the entire team.

And still, only 4 QBs have more wins than him.

What about the fact that:
    Only Brady has more yards than him.
    Only 3 QBs have more TDs than him.

You would be ? to say that those aren't accomplishments. By the very definition of the word, they are.

Maybe you meant to say a different phrase than "accomplished more" because even though he has a lot of negatives, he has a lot of positives too.

And to answer your question bluntly, when only 4-5 people have done more than what you have done, THAT is why you are in the conversation of the GOATS.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady has played 13 complete seasons. Not including 2000 or 2008 where he only played in one game each.

In 13 seasons he’s taken his team to the Super Bowl 6 times. That means he goes to the Superbowl 46% of the time.

That's almost half the time he goes to the Super Bowl.

That means in crunch time he's better than all of these guys that have better regular season statistics and choke in the playoffs.

Even if you compare Brady to Joe Montana you'd have to admit that Joe Montana choked in the playoffs more than Brady. In other words Joe Montana's teams lost before making it to the Superbowl. Brady has more Super Bowl appearances.

John Elway has 5 Superbowl appearances but he lost more than he won. He's 2-3 in Superbowls

I think the best Quarterback isn't the guy with the best regular season stats, especially considering all of the teams have different schedules, they play teams of different calibers, different competition, etc. For example, if you're in a weak division you play the teams in your division twice, once at home and once away. That's 6 games against teams in your division and if its a weak division you're stats will look really good.

Its better to judge teams and players by their performance in the playoffs where the competition is more evenly distributed. There's no weak teams in the playoffs.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Tom Brady
    If you had a competition where you took an independent offense and put Manning in charge for a couple drives and then put Brady in charge for a couple drives, I bet Manning would win. I think he's a more technically capable QB.

However, when it comes down to what is important which is, who is the one more likely to win with a team. I think it's safe to say, Brady is superior in that area and has been for a while.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Tom Brady
    The more I think about it, regular season statistics are irrelevant.

Its all about how you play in the playoffs when the competition is harder.
  • coop9889
    edited February 2015
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Back this up.

Explain to me why Eli isn't regarded as a better QB than Peyton.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Tom Brady

Back this up.

I can't explain it. I've been thinking about it since Eli won his second ring. I think the Giants were 9-7 that year and barely made it into the playoffs. But Eli is a clutch player and when the game was on the line he came correct.

Again, when the Superbowl is on the line everything you did in the regular season goes out the window.

Who would you rather have going into the Superbowl; Eli or Peyton?

I'm going with Eli, Peyton cracks under pressure.

LOL@ a Quarterback that puts up numbers in the regular season and chokes in the playoffs.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Members, Writer Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tom Brady
    _Lefty wrote: »
    So we gon act like brady doesn't have the greatest coach of all time behind him.

What was Brady's record before Bill?

What was Bill's record before Brady?

I'll wait.
  • coop9889
    edited February 2015
    Options

Back this up.

I can't explain it. I've been thinking about it since Eli won his second ring. I think the Giants were 9-7 that year and barely made it into the playoffs. But Eli is a clutch player and when the game was on the line he came correct.

Again, when the Superbowl is on the line everything you did in the regular season goes out the window.

LOL@ a Quarterback that puts up numbers in the regular season and chokes in the playoffs.

Yet, how often has eli gotten to the playoffs? How often has peyton MISSED the playoffs? That has to account for something. To even be good in the playoffs you have to get there first. Which Peyton has done 1000 times better than Eli.

So with that being said, let's say you're building a team.

Ignore the laws of physics and time lol, and say both peyton and eli are available in the next draft. Who you picking to the be face of your team for the next 15 years? (and yes, knowing the skill of both players)
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Tom Brady

Back this up.

Yet, how often has eli gotten to the playoffs? How often has peyton MISSED the playoffs? That has to account for something. To even be good in the playoffs you have to get there first. Which Peyton has done 1000 times better than Eli.

So with that being said, let's say you're building a team.

Ignore the laws of physics and time lol, and say both peyton and eli are available in the next draft. Who you picking to the be face of your team for the next 15 years? (and yes, knowing the skill of both players)

If its a draft I'm going with Peyton for obvious reasons, he has better regular season statistics over the course of his career.

But here's the next question;

Who would you send out on the field if the Super bowl was about to start in an hour and your starting QB got kidnapped. You only have two choices, Eli or Peyton?
  • coop9889
    Options
    I'll answer your question in a sec, I just wanted to prove to you and people who think like you that your way of thinking is contradictory.

You originally said:
    I think the best Quarterback isn't the guy with the best regular season stats, especially considering all of the teams have different schedules, they play teams of different calibers, different competition, etc. For example, if you're in a weak division you play the teams in your division twice, once at home and once away. That's 6 games against teams in your division and if its a weak division you're stats will look really good.

Its better to judge teams and players by their performance in the playoffs where the competition is more evenly distributed. There's no weak teams in the playoffs.

Right...?

Then you said:
    If its a draft I'm going with Peyton for obvious reasons, he has better regular season statistics over the course of his career.

LMAO.

Come on man.
  • coop9889
    Options
    But here's the next question;

Who would you send out on the field if the Super bowl was about to start in an hour and your starting QB got kidnapped. You only have two choices, Eli or Peyton?

To answer your question I'm picking Peyton. (Maybe not the end-of-his-career, lost-his-arm-strength CURRENT Peyton, but without a doubt prime Peyton over prime Eli)

Why?

BECAUSE HE'S THE BETTER QB. Period.

Lebron could've went 0-5 in all his finals appearances, and I'd take him over Kawhi Leanord on my team even though Kawhi would have 2 rings and a finals MVP AND beat him head to head in the finals twice.

Lebron's the better player.

Same concept.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tom Brady
    How is this an argument? The end goal of pro football is to win the Super Bowl.

Peyton: 1.

Brady: 4. He's been better than Peyton since ring 2.

No one's in a professional sport that wants to be great wants to be great on one end. You think all these stat beasts wouldn't give that ? up for rings, you're mistaken. You really think Peyton's out there throwing his arm and neck out of socket to run up his stat sheet? ? . No. He's out there for rings.

Furthermore...

Peyton had more weapons than Brady ever did because that was the story when the Patriots were winning: they were using SCRAPS. Cut players, waived players, traded players, old players.

Peyton had Marvin Harrison (PRIME), Reggie Wayne (PRIME), Edge (PRIME), and on and on. Brady with a past-prime Randy Moss broke records.

It's hard to stomach, but a 6th round 199th Pick is better than P. Manning. U mad?
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options

Exactly, coop is bringing up useless statistic....what a ? . Manning is overrated he is not better then Montana, Young or Elway, so how is he GOAT? LOL come on
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    Your case is point says NE won because of defense well in my perception NE won because of Seattles bad playcall
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    How you play in the playoffs matters, the end goal is to win a superbowl. The fact that many times Mannin has 10 one and done says more about him then the team. I can remember off hand how many times Manning had a chance to tie or win the game on a drive and throw the game ending INT in the playoffs
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmaoo at Elway being better that Peyton

?
This discussion has been closed.