Only 25% of American Black women according to a study are looking for a serious relationship

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in The Social Lounge
Does this poll seem real to ya'll? A Harvard study says 43% of American Black men are looking for a serious relationship, but only 25% of Black women are. I thought it would be a lot higher then this but is this really true from what ya'll see??

http://thegrio.com/2013/06/04/new-study-finds-african-americans-are-overwhelmingly-satisfied-with-their-lives/

Black women: Not seeking long term relationships

In the area of love and relationships, more black men than black women reported difficulty in finding mates. Forty-three percent of black men said they were looking for a significant other, but only 25 percent of women were seeking the same.

Two-thirds of single African-Americans between 18 and 45 said they were not looking for a longterm relationship at all. (Marriage was not a subject of the poll, only longterm relationships.)

“African-American women appear to have more security than men, and so women [might] see less men who bring financial security to the table,” said Harvard University professor of public health Robert Blendon, a co-director of the study.

He also speculated to NPR that, based on studies showing that black women take the earning power of potential mates into higher consideration than other women, their higher educational attainment compared to black men overall renders them less interested in partnering.

--The poll was done in 2013

Comments

• kingblaze84
    edited February 2015
    Options
    From my observations, I thought it would be like 60% or 70%

I can't even lie I'm shocked by this lol
  • MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I learned this during dating. A man said that women want you to make more money than them no matter how much they make. Women think if they have a degree, a man should too and if he doesn't, he's not qualified for her. If they were smart, people without degrees could be financially educated, have businesses, etc. Those are the kind of women who keep dogs for companions for the rest of their lives.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't take a poll like these serious when I never heard of them polling anyone that I know.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i would agree.....most pf these chicks want someone to fukk and someone to splurge on them.

it would appear they want a relationship but when it comes down to it....they be ready to bounce because you didnt change the batteries in the remote
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm calling ducktales on that 1
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    i would agree.....most pf these chicks want someone to fukk and someone to splurge on them.

it would appear they want a relationship but when it comes down to it....they be ready to bounce because you didnt change the batteries in the remote

There's a lot of chicks like that out here these days, it's been that way for a long time and it got worse after the recession. I've seen women with kids and a man be willing to do disgusting things for some change, all because their man may be broke smh
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black women have convinced themselves that there are no good Black men left, so they seek other things. 25% seems low, but I can believe a lot of Black women are out there claiming they don't care about relationships anymore.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    gnawledge wrote: »
    I learned this during dating. A man said that women want you to make more money than them no matter how much they make. Women think if they have a degree, a man should too and if he doesn't, he's not qualified for her. If they were smart, people without degrees could be financially educated, have businesses, etc. Those are the kind of women who keep dogs for companions for the rest of their lives.

Yeah we've seen this type and if anything, maybe half of women probably feel this way these days. It's good in some ways that women want a man to be well off so they can better raise kids (or her own kids) but at the same time, a lot of chicks haven't even done ? for themselves and are expecting the universe.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    I'm calling ducktales on that 1

I do wonder if the poll is flawed but damn it was done by Harvard. I know Harvard is a mostly White institution and everything but even a Black website published the results, so IDK...then again, we've had a lot of liars come from Harvard....
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't trust white people to tell me anything about Black people
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just clicked the article and saw:
    based on a survey of 1,081 people

The results of the survey is interesting but I'll need a bigger sample size to view this seriously as a revelation.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems feasible
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just clicked the article and saw:
    based on a survey of 1,081 people

The results of the survey is interesting but I'll need a bigger sample size to view this seriously as a revelation.

A sample that size could be generalizable provided it is actually representative