Pac's beats

Options
spayspay
spayspay Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
You know why 2Pac is one of the all time greats? Because he reached the highest levels in hip hop despite having to rap over mostly mediocre or trash beats.

A lot of beats from the 90's were good then, but don't hold up in 2015. I feel like most of Pac's catalog falls into that category. But Pac was so good that he could transform a so-so beat into a classic.

Discuss.

Comments

• D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the beats in an eerie way . allowed his music to stay relevant.
    Outside of strictly 4 ? ... which is his most dated album.

Pac albums were never fillled with the hot sound of the time. Which after some time become dated..
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He had many classic tracks but for the most part I agree. His beats were the weakest part of his legacy, besides features of course...
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wonder Why they Call You B**** is a great beat too.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i realized that people arent really bumping pac or biggie as much .
  • spayspay
    spayspay Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all mention a lot of classic beats. But would they be classic beats if they were on Hammer's gangsta album or some ? . I say no. They're classics because we associate them with Pac, his image, his legend and good times we had in the 90's. My opinion.
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    But the beats ain't garbage or anything like that. The song might not be classic on Hammer's album but it would have still been a good beat.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I seen this argument several times over the years and always been shocked that people didnt like Pac's beats. I can understand Strictly 4 My ? but the rest of his ? was flawless and timeless

Pac didn't pick his own beats btw. Other ? had to pick his ? for him which resulted in him rapping over some of the best and most emulated beats in hip hop

That was only true at the beginning of his career for his first two albums but he eventually started picking his own beats. Producers like Johnny J and Easy Mo Bee have said that he picked which beats he wanted; Doug Rasheed made him a tape with beats on it and QD3 played beats for him over the phone. When he was working the Makaveli album, he made Hurt-Em-Badd and Big D make beats from scratch for him.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pac's production was GOAT.

I can listen to "To live and die in LA" "White Man's World" and "Pain" instrumentals on repeat right now.

You make it seem like Pac was Nas at picking beats.

Their beat selection is about on the same level to me.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    2Pac - Ambitionz az a ridah [HD]: http://youtu.be/cQZqPi1aHNo
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pac had goats beats FA ? u talking bout
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's why 7 Day Theory is easily his best imho, the production is all-time great in of itself. Hail Mary...Toss it Up... Blasphemy. Lush, dark soundscapes that blend into the next seamlessly. Timeless music.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Majority of his beats ? on today's beats homie. ? yo thread.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dear lil niqqaz,

please stay away from my era of hip hop (late 80s-90s). its obvious u all will never understand why we hold it in such a high regard & u will never understand why we ? on yalls era so hard..

thanx in advance,

dee-dub aka tha trilladelic one
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I put on Skandalous, To Live and Die in L.A., Keep Ya Head Up, Me Against The World, Pour Out A Little Liquor, Str8 Ballin, I Wonder If Heaven Got A Ghetto, Starin Thru My Rearview, I Ain't Mad At Cha, Good Life, Happy Home, Letter 2 My Unborn Child, Hail Mary, Ambitionz Az A Ridah, Teardrops and Closed Caskets, How Long Will They Mourn Me, How Do U Want It, Pain, Keep Ya Head Up and I'm grooving, Pac had nice beats I don't know what people are hearing.
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obviously ? do not overstand musicality

Those beats from that era are immortal

Do you know how many times pacs beats have been recreated or rapped over?

I dont hear producers revisiting a 2chainz beat from 4 years ago...

Aside from some filler material here and there,pacs material still sounds fresh

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You might have Tupac confused with Nas, cause Nas beats be ? water
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EyeofAsaru wrote: »
    Obviously ? do not overstand musicality

do they understand it though?
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭