Great College BBall Teams the Never Won Titles

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
Im sure its been done before but...

-Of course the Fab 5

-The UNLV team that didnt repeat

-1998 UNC. Vince Carter, Antwan Jamison, Ed Cota, Shammond Williams, Okulaja, Ndiaye, Haywood...Bruh!? To this day i blame Bill Guthridge for them not winnin it all. He stuck to that '6 starters' rotation and would have carter, jamison, cota and williams occaisionally comin off the bench. Shammond is the forgotten man he had a 40 point game that year. He came off the bench the game they lost in the final 4

2000 Cincy Bearcats-Kenyon Martin player of the year and #1 pick. Broke his leg right before the tourney. Team also had 6'9 SG Dermarr Johnson, Pete Myckael, Steve Logan, Kenny Satterfield. Used to ? wit this squad with the all black, black socks, and team Jordans

2008 Memphis-the Derrick Rose missed FTs squad. Also had Joey Dorsey, Robert Dozier, Antonio Anderson

2008 Tennesee- a team full of goons. Jajuan smith, raymar smith, tyler smith, jp prince, chris lofton was a great shooter, wayne chism. Beat Derrick rose Memphis squad that year in a #1 vs #2 matchup

Georgia Tech Lethal Weapon 3-Kenny Anderson, Dennis Scott, Brian Oliver

Take a trip down memory lane, add on...

Comments

• TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Uconn team that lost to George Mason
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    UNLV squad that lost to Duke
    Michigan's Fab 5 squad
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1999 Duke squad - (was 37-2 overall and went undefeated in the ACC), was statistically one of the most dominant teams in the last 20 years (beat teams by roughly 25 points per game) and led the nation with 92 points per game. Thanks to Coach K pulling a #1 recruiting class and building it on for a few years. That squad had 5 NBA lottery picks and 3 ACC players of the year (each in a different year). Coach K said that team partied all night before the NCAA Championship game because they knew they'd win the championship easily (and Vegas odds at the time considered them the heavy favorite) then UConn (and Rip Hamilton) shocked the world and pulled off the upset.

2010 Kentucky squad - (Was 35-3 and only lost 2 games in the SEC), Like 1999 Duke, was a loaded team that had a #1 recruiting class as its foundation. This squad had 8 future NBA players and 3 NBA lottery picks. They were cocky and took plays off (and perimeter shooting was the fatal flaw that ultimately hurt them at the end) but when they wanted to play they had a gear no one in the country could hang with. Led by John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe and Patrick Patterson.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That tenn team was good squad
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I swear I hated than Tenn team with a passion lol
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 04-05 Illinois team with the 3 head monster of Deron Williams Dee Brown and Luther Head. Went all the way to the ship. Refs let Sean May Bulldoze us all night calling. And that lucky as tip in by Marvin Williams. Yeah I'm still mad lol
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    95 Umass-Camby, Donte Bright, Carmelo Travieso, Dana ? , Edgar Padilla, Tyrone Weeks
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drexler and Hakeem gotta be up there when they were at Houston

First team that i thought of.
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    95 Umass-Camby, Donte Bright, Carmelo Travieso, Dana ? , Edgar Padilla, Tyrone Weeks

Good choice. Forgot about them.

Coincidentally that team was coached by John Calipari.

Now I think about it, in this thread we've all just named 3 different schools that had teams he's coached that should've won it all. Either he's had bad luck or this man has squandered more elite teams then any coach in the modern era.

On the flip side this also proves he's arguably the best recruiter the game has seen since John Wooden was stacking rosters with multiple future NBA hall of famers back in the day.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You forgot Lou Roe on that squad
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    9TRAY wrote: »

Year they were the number 1 seed he wasn't on that squad
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2000 Tulsa golden hurricanes. They beat the bearcats in the second round and lost to unc in the elite 8. I didn't watch ESPN for a week.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2009 UK team

Demarcus Cousins
    John Wall
    Eric Bledsoe
    Patrick Patterson

Team went 35-3 made it to the elite 8 and had a bad shooting day against WVU.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That 2000 Cincy team killed me. I still remember coming home from college and found out the Kenyon broke his leg. They dropped them from a 1 seed to a 2 seed because of it.
  • ibestrokin
    ibestrokin Members Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Options
    that 2014 uofl team. if chane wasnt gettin high all the time we would of went back to back and to make it even sweeter we would of beat them ? cats to knock them out the tournament.
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1990 LSU squad led by Chris Jackson(Mahmoud Abdul Rauf), Stanley Roberts and Shaq as a 17 year old freshman. Beast ass squad that lost to that G Tech Lethal weapon 3 squad.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ibestrokin wrote: »
    that 2014 uofl team. if chane wasnt gettin high all the time we would of went back to back and to make it even sweeter we would of beat them ? cats to knock them out the tournament.

Foh
  • S2J
    Options
    1999 Duke squad - (was 37-2 overall and went undefeated in the ACC), was statistically one of the most dominant teams in the last 20 years (beat teams by roughly 25 points per game) and led the nation with 92 points per game. Thanks to Coach K pulling a #1 recruiting class and building it on for a few years. That squad had 5 NBA lottery picks and 3 ACC players of the year (each in a different year). Coach K said that team partied all night before the NCAA Championship game because they knew they'd win the championship easily (and Vegas odds at the time considered them the heavy favorite) then UConn (and Rip Hamilton) shocked the world and pulled off the upset.

2010 Kentucky squad - (Was 35-3 and only lost 2 games in the SEC), Like 1999 Duke, was a loaded team that had a #1 recruiting class as its foundation. This squad had 8 future NBA players and 3 NBA lottery picks. They were cocky and took plays off (and perimeter shooting was the fatal flaw that ultimately hurt them at the end) but when they wanted to play they had a gear no one in the country could hang with. Led by John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe and Patrick Patterson.

You know what prompted me to make this thread? Anniversary of the dunk the other week, they showed the Melvin Levett 'helicopter' dunk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY3TV3vgs7k

I googled Melvin Levett and they had a vid of him on the 99 Bearcat team, the year before Kenyon Martin broke his leg. Cincy was one of the teams to beat them that year. Levitt dropped 25

That squad was disgusting: Williams Avery, Trajon Langdon, Battier, Magette, Brand

NO HEART THO. hahaha i hate Duke.

• S2J
    Options
    The 04-05 Illinois team with the 3 head monster of Deron Williams Dee Brown and Luther Head. Went all the way to the ship. Refs let Sean May Bulldoze us all night calling. And that lucky as tip in by Marvin Williams. Yeah I'm still mad lol

They were 1 of a kind, but just too small.

Not only the 3 guards, but their 4 was a converted SG, Roger Powell. I remember one game Deron Williams wen toff in the second half w/ a epic comeback
  • S2J
    Options
    Illinois 1 seed down 15 w/ 4 minutes to go came back to beat Arizona
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTbE4eC-AIc

ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP) -- Illinois made a jaw-dropping final push for the Final Four with a rally that was as electrifying as it was improbable.

"Just amazing," Illinois coach Bruce Weber said.
    Trailing by 15 with just four minutes to play Saturday night, the Illini then showed why they have been No. 1 for most of the season.
    "We just kept fighting. We never gave up," Deron Williams said "It looked like the game was over."
    But it wasn't.
    With Williams and Luther Head leading the way, Illinois went on a dazzling 20-5 run, tying it on Williams' 3-pointer, and then held on in overtime to send Arizona to a crushing 90-89 defeat Saturday night in the Chicago Regional Finals.
    "We've got to keep going, keep playing. I'm trying to tell my teammates out on the floor 'This game's not over,' " Williams said. "'There's still some time, we can still get it down, chip away.' We ended up getting the momentum, the crowd into it and we were able to take the game over."
    The Illini (36-1), who've been able to drive to their two tournament sites in Indianapolis and suburban Chicago, so far, can keep on busing to the school's first Final Four appearance since 1989.
    In St. Louis, they will play Louisville (33-4), which rallied from a 20-point deficit Saturday to beat West Virginia 93-85 in overtime and take the Albuquerque Regional.
    The last time two regional final games went into overtime in the same year was 1992 when Michigan beat Ohio State, and Duke eliminated Kentucky.
    Arizona (30-7) went up 75-60 with four minutes to go after an 18-6 spurt that momentarily silenced a large, orange-clad partisan crowd.
    The Illini stoked up their defense, incited the crowd and turned the game around.
    "It's heart man, it's just heart," Illinois' Dee Brown said. "The whole time I was saying 'If it was meant to be, it was meant to be.' And I guess it was meant to be that we go to the Final Four."
    Head hit a pair of 3-pointers, Brown made a basket in the lane, Head scored after a steal, Williams drove for a basket and then made a steal and fed Brown for another basket with 45 seconds left.
    After Jack Ingram deflected an inbounds pass, Williams hit a 3-pointer to tie it with 38 seconds to go.
    "Guys left and right on their team were hitting big buckets, left and right, left and right. Whether it was a big guy or a guard," Arizona's Mustafa Shakur said.
    "It was just an unbelievable thing to lose a game that way."
    Even Weber, who was drawing up the defense to spark the comeback, couldn't keep track of all that happened.
    "It was just crazy," he said. "We picked up the pace, did a little 2-2-1 zone, denied. Jack made a steal, Dee made a steal and I'm not sure how Deron got the last 3," Weber said.
    After Williams tied it at 80 in regulation, Salim Stoudamire, the hero of Arizona's semifinal win over Oklahoma State with a last-second game-winner, dribbled the clock down and then passed the ball to Jawann McClellan. He missed, but Stoudamire came up with a loose ball, only to have his shot blocked by Head.
    "The defense collapsed on me so I wasn't going to force it so I kicked it out to Jawann," said Stoudamire, who managed just nine points under heavy defense from Williams.
    Williams hit two more 3-pointers in overtime, but Illinois' victory wasn't secured until Arizona's Hassan Adams, who'd scored five points to get the Wildcats within a point, missed a rushed shot just before the final buzzer.
    Adams couldn't get the ball inside to Channing Frye or drive, so he took the shot. But it wasn't close.
    "It's extremely hard. ... My disappointment is for the team," Arizona coach Lute Olson said. "I'm disappointed we didn't reach one of our goals. I wish we could have closed it out."
    Williams, a junior who might leave for the NBA, finished with 22 points, hitting five 3-pointers, and had 10 assists. Head, playing with a sore hamstring, added 20.
    "We just played very hard down the stretch," Brown said. "Deron Williams, the best guard in America, came through, made a lot of great plays. In the huddle we just said we aren't going to lose this game."
    Stoudamire had a miserable game, making just 2 of 13 shots -- 1-of-7 on 3-pointers -- his chance of going to the Final Four for the first time as a senior erased.
    "It was just an off night on my part. I didn't knock the shots down," he said.
    "I didn't quit though. I tried to do other things on the floor and it just so happens that we came up short."
    Frye was a force all night and finished with 24 points, 12 rebounds and six blocked shots. His 3-pointer with 6:03 left in regulation was the last field goal the Wildcats scored in regulation.
    Adams scored 21 on 9-of-13 shooting.
  • S2J
    Options
    As a guard myself, seein them 3 lil nggas go full on rec league was epic as ?
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1995 UNC team with Sheed Wallace and Stackhouse. Main reason why I love UNC now. Lost to Arkansas w/Corkiss Williamson in the final 4. Those 40 minutes of hell Arkansas teams were trill as hell in the 90's.
  • S2J
    Options
    9TRAY wrote: »

Lou Roe was a star in his own right, but he wasnt on that squad. Graduated the year before
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Illinois 1 seed down 15 w/ 4 minutes to go came back to beat Arizona
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTbE4eC-AIc

ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP) -- Illinois made a jaw-dropping final push for the Final Four with a rally that was as electrifying as it was improbable.

"Just amazing," Illinois coach Bruce Weber said.
    Trailing by 15 with just four minutes to play Saturday night, the Illini then showed why they have been No. 1 for most of the season.
    "We just kept fighting. We never gave up," Deron Williams said "It looked like the game was over."
    But it wasn't.
    With Williams and Luther Head leading the way, Illinois went on a dazzling 20-5 run, tying it on Williams' 3-pointer, and then held on in overtime to send Arizona to a crushing 90-89 defeat Saturday night in the Chicago Regional Finals.
    "We've got to keep going, keep playing. I'm trying to tell my teammates out on the floor 'This game's not over,' " Williams said. "'There's still some time, we can still get it down, chip away.' We ended up getting the momentum, the crowd into it and we were able to take the game over."
    The Illini (36-1), who've been able to drive to their two tournament sites in Indianapolis and suburban Chicago, so far, can keep on busing to the school's first Final Four appearance since 1989.
    In St. Louis, they will play Louisville (33-4), which rallied from a 20-point deficit Saturday to beat West Virginia 93-85 in overtime and take the Albuquerque Regional.
    The last time two regional final games went into overtime in the same year was 1992 when Michigan beat Ohio State, and Duke eliminated Kentucky.
    Arizona (30-7) went up 75-60 with four minutes to go after an 18-6 spurt that momentarily silenced a large, orange-clad partisan crowd.
    The Illini stoked up their defense, incited the crowd and turned the game around.
    "It's heart man, it's just heart," Illinois' Dee Brown said. "The whole time I was saying 'If it was meant to be, it was meant to be.' And I guess it was meant to be that we go to the Final Four."
    Head hit a pair of 3-pointers, Brown made a basket in the lane, Head scored after a steal, Williams drove for a basket and then made a steal and fed Brown for another basket with 45 seconds left.
    After Jack Ingram deflected an inbounds pass, Williams hit a 3-pointer to tie it with 38 seconds to go.
    "Guys left and right on their team were hitting big buckets, left and right, left and right. Whether it was a big guy or a guard," Arizona's Mustafa Shakur said.
    "It was just an unbelievable thing to lose a game that way."
    Even Weber, who was drawing up the defense to spark the comeback, couldn't keep track of all that happened.
    "It was just crazy," he said. "We picked up the pace, did a little 2-2-1 zone, denied. Jack made a steal, Dee made a steal and I'm not sure how Deron got the last 3," Weber said.
    After Williams tied it at 80 in regulation, Salim Stoudamire, the hero of Arizona's semifinal win over Oklahoma State with a last-second game-winner, dribbled the clock down and then passed the ball to Jawann McClellan. He missed, but Stoudamire came up with a loose ball, only to have his shot blocked by Head.
    "The defense collapsed on me so I wasn't going to force it so I kicked it out to Jawann," said Stoudamire, who managed just nine points under heavy defense from Williams.
    Williams hit two more 3-pointers in overtime, but Illinois' victory wasn't secured until Arizona's Hassan Adams, who'd scored five points to get the Wildcats within a point, missed a rushed shot just before the final buzzer.
    Adams couldn't get the ball inside to Channing Frye or drive, so he took the shot. But it wasn't close.
    "It's extremely hard. ... My disappointment is for the team," Arizona coach Lute Olson said. "I'm disappointed we didn't reach one of our goals. I wish we could have closed it out."
    Williams, a junior who might leave for the NBA, finished with 22 points, hitting five 3-pointers, and had 10 assists. Head, playing with a sore hamstring, added 20.
    "We just played very hard down the stretch," Brown said. "Deron Williams, the best guard in America, came through, made a lot of great plays. In the huddle we just said we aren't going to lose this game."
    Stoudamire had a miserable game, making just 2 of 13 shots -- 1-of-7 on 3-pointers -- his chance of going to the Final Four for the first time as a senior erased.
    "It was just an off night on my part. I didn't knock the shots down," he said.
    "I didn't quit though. I tried to do other things on the floor and it just so happens that we came up short."
    Frye was a force all night and finished with 24 points, 12 rebounds and six blocked shots. His 3-pointer with 6:03 left in regulation was the last field goal the Wildcats scored in regulation.
    Adams scored 21 on 9-of-13 shooting.

Bro thats one of greatest comebacks I ever withness I thought it was over with. Then Deron Williams and Luther Head took over. That game made Deron a top 5 pick. And Luther a 1st round pick. If Dee Brown didn't break his foot he probably would've snuck in the 1st round that year.