Florida mom arrested for punishing her daughter's straight-F report card

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link

A Florida mom's alleged attempt to shame her child into earning better grades in school led to her own shameful arrest for child abuse.

Melany Joyce Alexander, 30, is accused of beating her middle school daughter with a metal-studded belt before sending her to school with a T-shirt flaunting the child's failing grades, WFTS reported.

The handwritten tee shamed the child for earning Fs in all of her classes and further warned her friends — and any prospective boyfriends — to "back off before I get another good woopin like I got last night."

"My (days) eating French Fries and being a social butterfly is over because I know why my parents send me to school," it reads in black ink.

It adds that she is prohibited from having friends until her grades are brought up to C's or better.

"So unless you are helping me with this goal ... back off!!!" it warns, apparently to fellow students.

A deputy responded to West Hernando Middle School, north of Tampa, last Friday out of concern over the child's attire.

When the deputy and a social worker examined her body she was also found with "clear impressions" from where she was hit with the belt, according to the arrest affidavit.

The punishment was determined to be "excessive" by Department of Children and Families, leading to Alexander's arrest.
ku-medium.gif

Yep. When a parent can get arrested for going hard on their kid who obviously didn't do ? in school for a whole marking period…..well, ? .

Comments

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    30 years old with a middle school child. That would mean between 12-14 yrs old maybe. Interesting!!

Not seeing how that matters. But anyways.

Great message. Wrong approach.

What's more interesting is, Blacks parents are constantly accused of not caring about School and education. When a parent does show their interest albeit perhaps a little overzealous it still end in something frowned upon.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    30 years old with a middle school child. That would mean between 12-14 yrs old maybe. Interesting!!

What's more interesting is, Blacks parents are constantly accused of not caring about School and education. When a parent does show their interest albeit perhaps a little overzealous it still end in something frowned upon.

It matters cause the ? is obviously living her life and not truly pay attention to wtf is going on in her daughter life. Having a baby so young she missed some ? and still wants live life for the years she may have missed when her daughter was baby/toddler.

She on some baby boy "mama got have a life too" ? . Your child goes the whole semester before she finds out the girl not doing ? . The mother not rearing that lil girl.

Looks like a case of do as I say not as I do.

The child not going to get anything out of that. Basically the girl probably feeling like ? you ain't care all this time what you mad for now. To get straight F's on your report card means that girl been failing for a long ass time but nobody noticed until now. Thats fake outrage to me
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All Fs?

And the mom didn't know anything?

What kind of parent and or school is this.

Fail on all sides.

But you really have to be a true dumb muthafucka to get all Fs.

• Shizlansky
    Options
    I hate to be the one to say this

But

That kid is a lost cause.

If you cant stumble across Cs in middle school you have no chance in high school or higher.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

It matters cause the ? is obviously living her life and not truly pay attention to wtf is going on in her daughter life. Having a baby so young she missed some ? and still wants live life for the years she may have missed when her daughter was baby/toddler.

She on some baby boy "mama got have a life too" ? . Your child goes the whole semester before she finds out the girl not doing ? . The mother not rearing that lil girl.

The child not going to get anything out of that. Basically the girl probably feeling like ? you ain't care all this time what you mad for now. To get straight F's on your report card means that girl been failing for a long ass time but nobody noticed until now. Thats fake outrage to me

Stick to your day job family. To assumptions and generalizations on your part.
  • D. Morgan
    edited February 2015
    Options

hol up ? i got a middle school aged child... and im the go to guy for disciplinarian advice.

so uhhh what you tryin to say bruh...

LLS

If you 30 with a middle school aged child and they got all F's on their report card you know exactly WTF I'm trying to say.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Who says the Mom didn't know? How do we know the Mom didn't help or intervene? Children to can have a mind and agenda all their own.

At the middle school age many parents begin to let go of the reins a little bit because, this is the time students need to find their own motivation to want have academic success.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

But

If you cant stumble across Cs in middle school you have no chance in high school or higher.

Well, we can only hope that you are neither a parent or teacher. Calling a kid who is more the likely ages 12-14 a lost cause, is pretty ignorant.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Who says the Mom didn't know? How do we know the Mom didn't help or intervene? Children to can have a mind and agenda all their own.

At the middle school age many parents begin to let go of the reins a little bit because, this is the time students need to find their own motivation to want have academic success.

If the mom did know why wait until report cards came out before she went that hard on her daughter?

She would have known leading up to report cards that her daughter was ? up which would lead me to believe there would be no reason to beat her now and make a homemade t-shirt talking about keep away from my daughter.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • D. Morgan
    Options

bruh you just wait...

you... just... wait...

kids are smart, kids can hide ? and lie with the best of them.

? happens.

? gon happen especially when you have kids.

they will put an ungodly amount of effort into putting up the appearance that they are doing their homework... but when you check the ? after they went to be ? be alllll ? up.

so yeah... i can see how this went on for a whole damn grading period.

my oldest daughter got this one teacher that never updates her digital grade book, so i can see how the ? comes as a surprise yo.

? happens.

and the faculty aint finna admit they ? up.

either way, my rationale is humans weren't meant to sit still for 8 hours at a time.

We all know ? happens and kids lie and are very smart indeed.

If you checking you childs homework and its all ? up. I refuse to believe a good and attentive parent can let that ? go for a whole grading period where your child comes home with all F's.

I'm sorry a child bringing home all F's means the parent(s) not pay attention and doing part of their job.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea these kids sneaky now a days coming home saying they doing homework online but watching Boosie videos and looking at Instagram all day. I worked with kids before I know how they get down
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

If the mom did know why wait until report cards came out before she went that hard on her daughter?

She would have known leading up to report cards that her daughter was ? up which would lead me to believe there would be no reason to beat her now and make a homemade t-shirt talking about keep away from my daughter.

Kids also bring home progress reports. At that time, there is still time to bring up your grades. I know this for fact. I am dealing with this now. Not all F's but my children bring home progress reports and if they aren't up to our standards the warning goes out and even minor discipline is carried out.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    The judge should just sentence the mom to wear a shirt that says "how the ? did my kid get straight F's in school and I had no clue until she got her report card?"

Exactly. ? , you can't just get straight F's one day. Mom was chilling just as hard the kid was smh.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

bruh you just wait...

you... just... wait...

kids are smart, kids can hide ? and lie with the best of them.

? happens.

? gon happen especially when you have kids.

they will put an ungodly amount of effort into putting up the appearance that they are doing their homework... but when you check the ? after they went to be ? be alllll ? up.

so yeah... i can see how this went on for a whole damn grading period.

my oldest daughter got this one teacher that never updates her digital grade book, so i can see how the ? comes as a surprise yo.

? happens.

and the faculty aint finna admit they ? up.

either way, my rationale is humans weren't meant to sit still for 8 hours at a time.

We all know ? happens and kids lie and are very smart indeed.

If you checking you childs homework and its all ? up. I refuse to believe a good and attentive parent can let that ? go for a whole grading period where your child comes home with all F's.

I'm sorry a child bringing home all F's means the parent(s) not pay attention and doing part of their job.

Don't be sorry you just don't have any experience in this department. This isn't a failure on the parents part. This is a crucial part of a young students development and part of that development is putting the onus on the student to be responsible for their education. Mommy and daddy shouldn't have to be all up in a students ass at this age. But this is a case where mommy had to be and she was. Albeit over the top by my standards.

• D. Morgan
    Options

Kids also bring home progress reports. At that time, there is still time to bring up your grades. I know this for fact. I am dealing with this now. Not all F's but my children bring home progress reports and if they aren't up to our standards the warning goes out and even minor discipline is carried out.

Exactly.

I know all schools don't do progress reports and you have teachers who don't care so they won't tell a parent if they child is failing.

At the sametime I feel its the job of the parent to know how their child is progress regardless of progress reports. Call or go to the school to see how your child is doing. That is on nobody but the parent to me.
  • D. Morgan
    Options

actions have consequences.

"if your grades aren't up by the next report card, thats your ass"

you dont have school aged children do you?

So with the bold you mean to tell me as a good parent. Your child ? up on one report card, you make the bold threat and for the whole next grading period you never check to see how your child is doing? You just sit back and wait until that next report card to find out. FOH
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

But

Well, we can only hope that you are neither a parent or teacher. Calling a kid who is more the likely ages 12-14 a lost cause, is pretty ignorant.

First of all I am a parent and was a student. So you getting all Fs in middle school you're done.

Her mom failed her. My mom use to give me math problems to do on my own to make sure I was actually learning instead of copying. And making me spell words that wasn't on my homework to make sure I know how to sound words out and pronounce them

I never seen a kid come back from all Fs. Unless the kid was just skipping school.

You think one day math is just gon click in your head?

I wanna know what classes she's taking.

Because if you're getting Fs in English and basic math you can't come back.

She probably can't even do Basic multiplication. And math gets harder ever year.

I seen kids like her gets those kinds of grades. She ain't coming back.

I'm blaming parents. Because if she knew her kid was dumb she would punish her like that he would seek extra help. And if the parent truly didn't know it's still her fault for not checking in with teachers.

• Shizlansky
    Options
    Wouldn't punish her