Girls basketball teams try to lose game to each other, both get postseason ban

Options
Darth Sidious
Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/02/24/girls-basketball-teams-try-to-lose-game-to-each-other-both-get-postseason-ban/?tid=experimentrandom_1_NoVariantSpecified

( Video of 'Game' in link )

If only the Smyrna and Riverdale girls had Herm Edwards as their coach. He surely would have pointed out to them that “you play to win the game.” (He might also have tossed in a sarcastic, “Hello?” Which would have been great.)

Instead, the coaches that those Tennessee high school teams did have pointed out to them that it would be better if each lost its game to the other. That led to a travesty of a contest, which led to the head referee complaining to both schools, which led to both teams getting disqualified from the playoffs altogether.

The teams’ incentive to lose was getting placed on the other side of the playoff bracket from a regional powerhouse, thus improving the chances of making it into the state playoffs. In a story by The Tennessean, a Riverdale administrator told the organizing body (TSSAA) that the coach did not specifically spell out a plan to throw the game.

“He said he talked to them about bracketology,” [TSSAA executive director Bernard] Childress said. “He told them, ‘This is where we will be if we win, this is where we will be if we lose.’ “

Whatever that coach, Cory Barrett, did say, it resulted in unusual actions by his players. And Smyrna’s coach, Shawn Middleton, was quick to take notice and launch a counter-non-offensive. From the referee’s account of the game:

“Both teams played to lose. Riverdale started off the game in a 2-3 zone, which is very odd for Riverdale who usually plays 32 minutes of man to man full court pressure. After a few minutes I think that the Smyrna coach realized what was going on and subbed his second team in. Riverdale followed suit and did the same. …

Riverdale pulled the ball out and just passed the ball around. The Smyrna coach … told his team to foul to Riverdale in a bonus situation. When Riverdale got in the one and one they intentionally missed the free throws. They probably missed 12-16 free throws intentionally. On the other side, Smyrna wouldn’t get the ball across the half court line to get a 10 second count or to make us call an over and back violation intentionally. One time a Riverdale girl looked at one of the officials and gave the official a 3 second signal wanting him to call three seconds on her. Smyrna stood in the lane as well to have us call 3 seconds on them.

In the 3rd qrt I finally called both coaches together when a Smyrna player was about to attempt a shot at the wrong basket (but there was a 10 second violation call before they attempted the shot) on purpose. That is when I called both coaches together and told them we are not going to make a travesty or mockery of the game. WE ARE NOT GOING TO START TRYING TO SHOOT AND SCORE FOR THE OTHER TEAM.”

With about four minutes to go and what he apparently realized was an insurmountable 30-25 Smyrna lead, Middleton put his starters back in the game, and they coasted to a 55-29 win against Riverdale’s backups. According to The Tennessean, Middleton subsequently expressed regret for the whole episode.

“The bottom line is as a coach you make decisions in the heat of the game,” he said. “No way would I do it again.”

But the damage was done. On Monday, both Smyrna and Riverdale were fined $1,500 and put on probation for the 2015-16 school year, in addition to the girls’ teams being booted from this year’s playoffs.

Principals from both schools pleaded with the TSSAA to suspend the coaches but let the girls continue to play. However, Childress, the TSSAA executive director, found that the players were complicit in the attempts to lose.

“The student athletes bought into it,” Childress said, via The Tennesseean. “They were the ones asking to call three seconds. They were the ones stepping back over (midcourt). They were the ones not attempting to shoot at the basket.” …

“It’s a total embarrassment,” [Riverdale principal Tom] Nolan said. “In my 35 years at Riverdale I’ve never had that happen. It sends a bad message to everyone. Bottom line is you play the game to win.”

Both coaches are expected to receive further punishment.

Comments

• detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh at this ? . playing to lose. i would never let my children do no ? like this.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No thats weak bitchassery...

Compete.

Thats just me im competitive in that sense.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    May favorite part..lol

In the 3rd qrt I finally called both coaches together when a Smyrna player was about to attempt a shot at the wrong basket (but there was a 10 second violation call before they attempted the shot) on purpose. That is when I called both coaches together and told them we are not going to make a travesty or mockery of the game. WE ARE NOT GOING TO START TRYING TO SHOOT AND SCORE FOR THE OTHER TEAM.”
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hilarious! Wish I could have seen it.
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think both coaches should be fired or suspended for most of next season.
    these coaches are worse than the ones who only care about winning.
    1 either team could have forfeited
    2 what are you teaching your kids if loosing becomes better than winning
    3. you are a ? coach if you are more worried about who you play next than the game in front of you
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Bottom line is you play the game to win"

If you believe that then you cannot criticize what they did. They intended to win the war by losing a battle.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If both teams were that scared of they placement in the bracket they werent going to win it all anyways
  • lordhonka2
    lordhonka2 Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    "Bottom line is you play the game to win"

If you believe that then you cannot criticize what they did. They intended to win the war by losing a battle.

that makes sense if you are in WAR but this is basketball. in sports all this signifies is a lack of belief in you coaching, you teams play and the skill level of you kids.

my child would not play for a coach that taught that losing in a sport is better than winning. WTF

• _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate to be one of them back in the day ass ? . But when I played we was out lookin for the powerhouses. We'd see them ? in the parks, at the gyms in the off season, where ever, we was at them ? . The best games was the games at the cages or where ever all the hoopers congregated, up here it was the cages, and the Hoop(indoor 6 courts). You earned your stripes in those places. I'm washed up now, but it's still in me, I wouldn't run from lebron if he challenged me right now. It was just an attitude you had to have. These coaches teachin the wrong culture. Makin these players ? . ? strategy. I'm comin to take the king head off.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? have no honour
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? was funny girl shooting fts just threw the ball at side back board lmaooo
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    May favorite part..lol

Could you imagine seeing a game where both teams are trying to score in each others basket.

This game probably had all types of bloopers... probably mad funny to watch to anyone who didnt have a kid in the game.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    By the way I fully condone losing a game to avoid meeting the best team in the region for the first game of the playoffs, if that was the case. Especially if nothing else is lost by losing the game other than seeding.

? gotta think ahead.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they do this ? in the NBA now..
    they do it in football..

this ? aint nothin new..

? hilarious tho..
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? so lame, tryna lose to play a weaker part of the bracket, hmm if ur team was really bout ? u wouldnt have to worry about em, both programs should be ended, suspended for a year at least.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They learned it from pro teams tanking for the lottery and teams taking their foot off the pedal by “resting" star players right before playoffs began
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sounds like a sounds strategy, I don't think i could go through with it tho. if you gon lose, lose in the finals. You still get a state runner up patch on your jacket. I ain't shame, I got 2. I had to chase that ? trey harts around the track every ? week. We gon play and what ever happens; happens.