Yall ever had jury duty?

Options
farris2k1
farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
This will be my 2nd time at this ? , kinda annoying but when i done it years ago and was actually on a case the whole process was interesting, seeing how it went down first hand was kinda cool on the real, anyone else had to do it?

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I did it. As a criminal justice major i found it extremely interesting...borderline fun. I was there for 15 minutes and got called on a case.

I'm sure it's a pain in the ass waiting to see if they even use you that day though.

Anyway, I got a carjacking/ armed robbery case. Defendant was about 18 and facing some serious time if convicted. Dude admitted that he was in possession of the victim's credit card because the real Jackers gave them to him, he admitted to being good at fraud but that he never carjacked anyone.

The victims were a boyfriend and girlfriend that were robbed and had their car stolen while the BF was hooping on an outside court at night.

I don't remember all the details because it's been a few years but I do remember the defense brought in the guy who stripped the car and he testified that neither of the guys who brought him the car was the defendant. The police testified that when they caught the defendant he was in a hotel with a chick and had the victim's credit cards on him.

The defendant testified that the real Jackers brought the cards to him so he could get money off them. He did that and they let him keep the cards. They also gave him a ride to the hotel where he used the cards and where he called the girl over.

The GF testified that the Jackers were taller than her BF but the defendant was shorter.

Basically there wasn't enough evidence to convict him for the armed robbery/carjacking and we found dude not guilty.

For our trouble the judge hammed up on us saying our verdict made no sense because he was caught with evidence on him and that we put a criminal back on the street, right before he slammed his gavel he told the defendant he was sure he would see him again soon.

Everyone involved was black by the way.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Except some of my fellow jurors that is, the judge, the attorneys, the defendant and victims were all black.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes. Didn't get called once to the court just sat in that room and read the Aeneid for the whole damn time. Coffee was good though
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea, sat in there for a while was getting interested in the case then found out i didnt get called so i just said ? it
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    2006 I sat in the back with head phones on
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like my ? Martin said

Rippety rip.
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Always Voir Dire .....

Never a Juror
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jury duty is only ? if you don't get picked for the jury. The time I got to sit on the actual jury was pretty dope and informative. Of course I was the only black dude on the jury. Wanted to make sure they ain't railroad the black dude that was on trial. After a couple days of testimony, I had to say to myself, 'This ? is guilty as ? .'. Lol.

But yeah, I'd strongly suggest that people NOT go out of their way to get out of jury duty. Do your civi duty, ? .
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Jury duty is only ? if you don't get picked for the jury. The time I got to sit on the actual jury was pretty dope and informative. Of course I was the only black dude on the jury. Wanted to make sure they ain't railroad the black dude that was on trial. After a couple days of testimony, I had to say to myself, 'This ? is guilty as ? .'. Lol.

But yeah, I'd strongly suggest that people NOT go out of their way to get out of jury duty. Do your civi duty, ? .

You took it to far with the bold.

We still waiting for these CACs to do their civil duty.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    I did it. As a criminal justice major i found it extremely interesting...borderline fun. I was there for 15 minutes and got called on a case.

I'm sure it's a pain in the ass waiting to see if they even use you that day though.

Anyway, I got a carjacking/ armed robbery case. Defendant was about 18 and facing some serious time if convicted. Dude admitted that he was in possession of the victim's credit card because the real Jackers gave them to him, he admitted to being good at fraud but that he never carjacked anyone.

The victims were a boyfriend and girlfriend that were robbed and had their car stolen while the BF was hooping on an outside court at night.

I don't remember all the details because it's been a few years but I do remember the defense brought in the guy who stripped the car and he testified that neither of the guys who brought him the car was the defendant. The police testified that when they caught the defendant he was in a hotel with a chick and had the victim's credit cards on him.

The defendant testified that the real Jackers brought the cards to him so he could get money off them. He did that and they let him keep the cards. They also gave him a ride to the hotel where he used the cards and where he called the girl over.

The GF testified that the Jackers were taller than her BF but the defendant was shorter.

Basically there wasn't enough evidence to convict him for the armed robbery/carjacking and we found dude not guilty.

For our trouble the judge hammed up on us saying our verdict made no sense because he was caught with evidence on him and that we put a criminal back on the street, right before he slammed his gavel he told the defendant he was sure he would see him again soon.

Everyone involved was black by the way.

That judge is an idiot
    You made a good call that day, I would have went the same way
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    The Martin jury duty episode is on right now
  • MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I done it nearly nine years ago, lasted like 2 or 3 days. It was like a hundred of us in one room, just bring a book or something to keep you occupied. I still got the certificate somewhere and I think they did pay me, can't remember how much.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah and i walked out outta that ? to no repercussions to this day
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Man i'll never forget. Got called for it, get there, we all in the room shootin the ? , btychin about bein there, laughin, jokin like 'watch us get a OJ case. We'll be sequestered HAHAHA' etc.

Balif or whoever walks in the room. 'Just a few more minutes and we'll be ready for you. The case in question is The state of Richmond vs Ricky Gray. Capital murder' Closes the door.

movietheaterclapwhat.gif

The air went out the room. Dead silence. Everybody knew that case. Straight up serial killer. In THIS case, he killed a family of 4. He was later found guilty of like 4 or 5 other murders in a week span

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Richmond_spree_murders

Ended up gettin on the stand in front of everybody, prosecutor askin me basic questions but i was nervous as ? . He asked me if i was for or against death penalty. I said against. That was that. They let me go.

Dude ended up gettin the chair. Later read that in the trial they showed ALL the pics of the crime scene. 2 parents and 2 little kids bludgeoned and burned. Im not about that life. No sir.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Couple years ago served on a jury. Case was indecent exposure. Chick claimed some old Mexican dude was beating his meat looking at her while he was sitting in his car at the car wash they were at. His defense was he has a foot fungus issue that forces his foot to itch a lot and at the time.he was using a back scratcher to scratch his foot.

I used to be a criminal justice major so I've always been interested in law so it was cool. I was also the only black man on the jury.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope. Never did.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Listen to music, read and wait. First time 10 years ago got call for 2 cases I said i was in school so they dismissed me (medical malpractice civil case, the other a robbery assault criminal case). 2 years ago I just waited was never called.