You have one choice

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
I was listening to sports radio a week ago and the guy asked if he had the choice of seeing his favorite baseball team winning 5 straight World Series, or his favorite football team winning 1 Super Bowl in 5 years what would he prefer. He said he would rather see his favorite football team win a SB during that 5 year period.

So if you had the choice would you prefer to see the team from the sport you don't like as much win 5 straight championships, or the team from your favorite sport win 1 championship in 5 years?

Comments

• Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll take the World Series wins for the White Sox, I just tolerate the Bears cause they're here I don't really care about them
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    I'll take the World Series wins for the White Sox, I just tolerate the Bears cause they're here I don't really care about them

So one WS win in 5 years over 5 straight SB wins for the Bears.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

So one WS win in 5 years over 5 straight SB wins for the Bears.

You said 5 ws over 1 sb, I'm taking 5
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    If the sox win 5 in a row you could label is the greatest franchise of all time, Pats already own that in football
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    I said your favorite team from a sport you don't like as much.

For example if your number 1 sport is basketball and you also like football. Would you prefer to see your favorite basketball team win 1 NBA title in 5 years or your favorite football team win 5 straight SB's.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Oh, yea I'm taking 5 everytime
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bears super bowl easy cause I ? hate Jerry Reinsdorf
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A Super Bowl. Lol @ the Pats being the GOAT NFL franchise, they not even the best in the AFC(that would be the Steelers as much as I hate that franchise), let alone the NFL.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    A Super Bowl. Lol @ the Pats being the GOAT NFL franchise, they not even the best in the AFC(that would be the Steelers as much as I hate that franchise), let alone the NFL.

Once we get that 5th it's a wrap, no argument
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options

Good luck with that. Even then y'all still wouldn't be the undisputed GOAT franchise. You have too many historically great Franchise's that have many memories from decades ago not just Tom Brady and Bill Belichek, they will be what the Pats are going to be remembered for.

Cowboys
    Steelers
    Packers
    49ers

All have more legitimate cases for GOAT franchise than the Pats I'll give y'all top 5, but prolly sitting at the 5 spot.

Hell the Ravens for as short as they have been a franchise in Baltimore are arguably ahead of the Pats cause of what they have accomplished in less than 20 years.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options

Good luck with that. Even then y'all still wouldn't be the undisputed GOAT franchise. You have too many historically great Franchise's that have many memories from decades ago not just Tom Brady and Bill Belichek, they will be what the Pats are going to be remembered for.

Cowboys
    Steelers
    Packers
    49ers

All have more legitimate cases for GOAT franchise than the Pats I'll give y'all top 5, but prolly sitting at the 5 spot.

Hell the Ravens for as short as they have been a franchise in Baltimore are arguably ahead of the Pats cause of what they have accomplished in less than 20 years.

For one Ravens aren't on that level I don't know where that came from, two we're doing it in an era where it's a lot harder to stay on top, here's a good article to put things in perspective

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/02/nfl-morning-after-the-patriots-are-the-nfls-greatest-dynasty/

And I don't even think it mentions the 21 game winning streak in 03-04 longest in NFL history, goat franchise
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at NE being the goat franchise.

Sit your ass down.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Lol at NE being the goat franchise.

Sit your ass down.

Haters going to hate but that's the reality of it
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options
    GOAT dynasty and GOAT franchise are two different things. One is historically speaking, one is just for one generation. Let me put this into perspective for you the Cowboys and Steelers both have two dynasties years apart from each other. The Pats last dynasty died with the helmet catch. I wouldn't say y'all are a dynasty currently.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Taking a skins SB over a Lakers 5peat.

• its....JOHN B
    Options
    GOAT dynasty and GOAT franchise are two different things. One is historically speaking, one is just for one generation. Let me put this into perspective for you the Cowboys and Steelers both have two dynasties years apart from each other. The Pats last dynasty died with the helmet catch. I wouldn't say y'all are a dynasty currently.

Steelers had one dynasty in the 70's, Cowboys had one dynasty in the 90's, Cowboys won 2 supebowls in the 70's even though they made it to the superbowl 5 times but that doesn't qualify as a dynasty
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Right now I would take a Mets 5peat with one of those wins against the Yankees.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options

Cowboys
    Steelers
    Packers
    49ers

For one Ravens aren't on that level I don't know where that came from, two we're doing it in an era where it's a lot harder to stay on top, here's a good article to put things in perspective

profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/02/nfl-morning-after-the-patriots-are-the-nfls-greatest-dynasty/

And I don't even think it mentions the 21 game winning streak in 03-04 longest in NFL history, goat franchise

Lol "NFL morning after". Directly speaks to the fact that it's prisoner of the moment. Hell no the Pats aren't the greatest FRANCHISE ever. In any sense. Not on or off the field. Win wise or $$ wise. What would the basis even be to make such a statement?

The best label I'd give the Pats would be greatest QB-coach tandem ever
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Pats already or are close to owning football, Celtics own basketball, with 5 in a row Sox would own baseball, Boston would be the goat franchise in the 3 major sports in America
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »

Cowboys
    Steelers
    Packers
    49ers

Lol "NFL morning after". Directly speaks to the fact that it's prisoner of the moment. Hell no the Pats aren't the greatest FRANCHISE ever. In any sense. Not on or off the field. Win wise or $$ wise. What would the basis even be to make such a statement?

The best label I'd give the Pats would be greatest QB-coach tandem ever

And I'm also trying to explain this...on a website where everybody hates the Patriots, so I could give a ? if anyone disagrees with me, no one is truly going to appreciate what the Patriots have done since the turn of the century until Brady and Belichick retire and there's no guarantee we don't keep ? rollin after that, as much as I love the history of football I think Patriots dominance in modern times is more impressive being that it's much more difficult to be this good for this long in this era, I think the Cowboys and Steelers are in the conversation, if its not us it's the Steelers being that they have one of the most dominant dynasty's of the 70's, have won 2 in recent times and are the all time leader in superbowl victories, Cowboys being borderline irrelevant for the past 20 years hurts them but can't look past their success in the 70's and their dynasty in the 90's, we all share the same amount of superbowl appearances
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options
    Just the fact that the Cowboys have sucked for 20 years and you still hear about us alone should tell you the Pats not on the Boys level as a franchise. When Brady and Belichick are gone you won't hear about the Pats no more.
  • coop9889
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't hate the Pats, I don't hate any team that's not in my division. It's just funny to say the "greatest franchise of all time" solely because of what has been done "since the turn of the century". That only encompasses like 1/5th of their existence. Like someone said, you talking about dynasties/eras, not complete franchise histories.

To answer the thread question, that's easy, cuz Im not a fan of any other team in any other sport. So 1 SB win.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Patriots been a great franchise since 2001

Before that. ? no.

Pittsburgh
    Dallas
    San Fran
    Packers

All have HOF all thru the decades

Patriots is on the level of

Washington
    New York
    Chicago
    When it comes to great franchises.

2nd tier.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options
    Lol bruh in the NFL thread it's always live during a Cowboy game whether you love us or hate us. We are the most polarizing and recognized sports franchise in all of American sports(Lakers and Yankees have an argument as well, I wouldn't agree but I wouldn't balk at the argument either).

I can respect what the Pats have done since '01, but GOAT franchise c'mon now bruh you pushing it. You have two names that everyone recognizes your franchise for Brady and Belichick they are literally your franchise.
  • coop9889
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^
    Correct.

Now I will give them props for their consistency. I'd argue their 14 year stretch from '01 to '14 as great as any other 14 year stretch. Odd number but hey... Or simply put the greatest franchise since 2001. But not of all time.