Liam Neeson To Retire From Action Films In 2 Years

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Liam Neeson, who has had an impressive career upsurge from the Taken franchise, has said the end of kick-ass roles is in sight

e8b15102-14ee-4396-b201-73e8b09be08f-620x372.jpeg

His new film may be called Run All Night, but Liam Neeson knows there’s a limit to his energy – and has said he’s getting ready to call time on ass-kicking action role

“Maybe two more years. If ? spares me and I’m healthy,” he said in a US interview. “But after that, I’ll stop [the action] I think.”

Neeson, who originally broke through with dramas like Schindler’s List and Michael Collins, became known to a whole new generation of film fans with 2008 action hit Taken. Playing Bryan Mills, a man with an exceedingly quotable “particular set of skills” who fights to save his daughter from sex traffickers, the film and its two sequels have grossed nearly $900m worldwide.

Its success has prompted a number of other action roles for Neeson, in plane hijack thriller Non-Stop, the big-screen A-Team remake, improbable board game adaptation Battleship, and moody crime drama A Walk Among the Tombstones. Run All Night also treads similar ground to Taken, with Neeson on a mission to protect his son from a mobster played by Ed Harris

“I’m in a very, career-wise, great place,” Neeson said of the movies. “The success of certainly the Taken films, Hollywood seems to see me in a different light. I get sent quite a few action-oriented scripts, which is great. I’m not knocking it. It’s very flattering. But there is a limit, of course.”

He has alluded to hanging up his pistol before, saying around the release of Taken 3: “If I feel audiences saying, ‘Come on, he’s 62, enough is enough,’ I’m very sensitive to that and if I pick up that vibe it will all stop. And I’ll start playing dads or grandfathers. But I keep myself pretty fit and my knees are still great. And it’s fun.”

Joel Kinnaman, who plays Neeson’s son in Run All Night, said of the actor: “He’s so physically capable, he’s an old boxer. When he knocks somebody out in the movie, you believe it... Ed, Liam and Nick [Nolte]. They are people I’ve looked up to and revered their work. I think it’s kind of cool with all these old farts kicking ass, killing people.”

Taken’s success has also generated a slew of similarly bone-crunching roles for other “old farts kicking ass”, with Sean Penn in The Gunman, Pierce Brosnan in The November Man, and Kevin Costner in 3 Days to ?

Comments

• RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's good he's in touch with reality as an artist
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he needs to stop right now
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At least he knows at some point he has to stop milking the cow. Chris Tucker could learn a thing or 2 from him.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? said that like he Jackie Chan or somebody.....he better ride that wave

him and Denzell the only two actors that can be the same ? in every movie and people still buy it

SN: i know that wolf ? him up at the end of The Grey....i know he did....that's why they ended it there....fool gone tape some glass to the back of his hands.....you aint McGyver or no Jean Claude bruh lol
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw the latest one on tv and was finally like "ENOUGH"
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HafBayked wrote: »

him and Denzell the only two actors that can be the same ? in every movie and people still buy it

SN: i know that wolf ? him up at the end of The Grey....i know he did....that's why they ended it there....fool gone tape some glass to the back of his hands.....you aint McGyver or no Jean Claude bruh lol

he took the wolf down with em, post credits scene it seemed both him and the wolf were dying lol
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All his movies have damn near the same storyline...he wont be missed.
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To the poster above who seems only familiar with his work with Taken, his body of work actually has quite a bit of range.

• Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All his movies have damn near the same storyline...he wont be missed.

You must be a lil ? to say this "All his movies" smh
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

he took the wolf down with em, post credits scene it seemed both him and the wolf were dying lol

I dont remember seeing that
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

sounds like the wolf was taking its last breath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Iu-pb_ME4
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude is awesome. I had no idea he was in his 60s though. He actually the right age for what he does as White America love lone vigilante flicks, salty old veterans who take it to the young punks, they are modern westerns in a way. They all about justice and the sense of right and wrong which appeals to a certain demographic.

The grizzled veteran action movie has made a major comeback the last few years. New Die Hard flicks, The Expendables franchise, a new Rambo, all these old cats getting one more run. So I ain't mad at him going in on the new thing while he can.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's hoping he goes back to making movies with decent story lines now. The first taken was decent but he is too good of an actor to stay playing one role all the time
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah, happened after the credits, it insinuated that both him and the wolf died.

But yeah I'm tired of seeing Neeson as an aging world weary alcoholic with skills who's forced into action to make the world wide right.

I watched Non-Stop and it actually held my interest until the laughable ? awful twist at the end.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »

sounds like the wolf was taking its last breath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Iu-pb_ME4

why all the youtube embeds stop working?
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he's gonna stop making the same movie over and over again?
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    He really had to announce this? He couldn't just tell us 2 years from now?
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »

Yeah, happened after the credits, it insinuated that both him and the wolf died.

But yeah I'm tired of seeing Neeson as an aging world weary alcoholic with skills who's forced into action to make the world wide right.

I watched Non-Stop and it actually held my interest until the laughable ? awful twist at the end.

nah he lived the wolf died