Eddie Murphy to Portray Richard Pryor's Father in Biopic

Options
lazypakman
lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
Eddie Murphy is in talks to join the cast of Lee Daniels’ untitled Richard Pryor biopic, sources confirm.

He will play the late comedian’s father, LeRoy “Buck Carter” Pryor, a boxer and WWII veteran, in the Weinstein Co. drama.

Mike Epps is attached to star as the legendary comedian.

“Harvey (Weinstein) would like it to be released for the Oscars. Because, you know, Harvey is good at that sh-t,” said Pryor’s wife and producer of the film, Jennifer, in a recent podcast.

Daniels teased the Murphy casting Thursday night on Instagram.

Murphy, who recently appeared in the “SNL” 40th anniversary special, grew up idolizing and impersonating Pryor as a comedian in the ’70s.

“Richard’s the one that made me want to do comedy,” he has previously said. “When I was little I used to sneak into my basement and put his albums on.”

Oprah Winfrey and Kate Hudson are rumored for supporting roles in the Richard Pryor project.

Daniels, who last re-teamed with the Weinstein Co. and Oprah on “The Butler,” is riding the success of his hit TV drama “Empire,” which Fox just renewed for a second season.

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn this gunna be crazy

They needa start filming soon. Taking too long
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i hope this ? done in the way of bob fosse's lenny

abrasive instead of heartfelt

where the tone matches the mans comedy and his ? up life
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lele Daniels .

Sounds epic,hope it happens,hope it's not sugar coated.

Pause on these close IG pics these ? took.
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still need to see mike epps audition
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »
    i hope this ? done in the way of bob fosse's lenny

abrasive instead of heartfelt

where the tone matches the mans comedy and his ? up life

All this pretty much.

I'm actually happy for Mike Epps getting a big role like this though. Dude was looking like he was about to lose it for a moment there.

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pryors bits on his dad were the best. Eddie got his work cut out for him.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why epps though.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Why epps though.

Epps is a solid actor if you check his serious movie roles.

Plus pryor & epps both midwest boys.

I dont see anything wrong with the choice.

Im glad Nick Cannon didn't get it.

Who do you think woulda been better @Shizlansky
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Epps was always my 1st choice
  • gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Epps was always my 1st choice

I always wanted to see Marlon Wayans take it... until I saw a haunted house 2. I'm hoping Epps really surprisesfolks.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    If the movie is anything like Marlons audition it might break the record for F-words in a film
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lee Daniels, eh? OK then...

11644852-Im-ou.gif

That Marlon Wayans audition tho... damn. Anyone that seen Requiem For A Dream knows dude got chops.
  • Ilike2get baked
    Ilike2get baked Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No issue with Eddie taking this role...he has the chops for this ? ..only thing I'm concerned about is Lee Daniels directing and him turning it into some love fest ? ? as opposed to really capturing Richards life.. sidenote: Oprah better for her homework on Richards grandmother...according to everybody who knew her Marie Carter was on some next level ? .
  • focus
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What wrong with Lee Daniels all of a sudden? Is dude not a good filmmaker now just because he is ? ? Monster's Ball, Precious, The Butler? But he's somehow not worthy of Richard Pryor? Black people are so simple sometimes. Turn on each over dumb ? .
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marlon ? up on that one I personally thought he would nail it but he did some other ? lol
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I felt like Marlon over acted. it was cool but if you've seen the Wayans Brothers show some of those same mannerisms came out.

They should get him or Tommy Davidson to play Sammy Davis Jr though
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    What wrong with Lee Daniels all of a sudden? Is dude not a good filmmaker now just because he is ? ? Monster's Ball, Precious, The Butler? But he's somehow not worthy of Richard Pryor? Black people are so simple sometimes. Turn on each over dumb ? .

? gonna make half the movie about the ? that Richard ? . ? around and might make it the main plot.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ehhh i don't know.. are they trying to be accurate? this has me worried they ain't gonna try and portray the true horror and grime of Richard Pryor's childhood. in real life Pryor's father was gone by the time he was 7 years old and he was raised in his Grandmother's brothel from then on out. I'm from Peoria so I know my Richard Pryor history, I even have a great uncle that ran with him since they were 10 years old.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »

? gonna make half the movie about the ? that Richard ? . ? around and might make it the main plot.

Is that the story of when he sucked a ? ?

No ?
  • Lab Baby
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Is that the story of when he sucked a ? ?

No ?

I have no idea, that's not even something I'm gonna research. But I read a confirmed article on here where he tells a story about having an affair with a ? . That's all I'm gonna allow myself to be privy to.
  • focus
    edited March 2015
    Options

Lee Daniels has never made a "? movie" tho? I don't think he's ever even made a movie with a ? person in it.

Sounds like misdirected Tyler Perry hate...or something?

You realize their are plenty of straight directors who make "? movies" and "bad movies", right?

Just seems like you have to go really far out the way to make this about sexuality. But alot of yall think about ? stuff on here alot so I dunno...
  • Parallel
    Parallel Members, Writer Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Epps just seems like he's at a bit doing an impression. I liked Marlon better tbh. He didn't really sound like him vocally but I could at least see Richard in it.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He ? a ? ?

Lmao