No Love: University Removes Common as Graduation Speaker After Police Complaints...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
mediaite.com/online/university-removes-common-as-graduation-speaker-after-police-complaints/
University Removes Common as Graduation Speaker After Police Complaints

Is it “banning commencement speakers” season already?

Common recently won an Oscar for the song “Glory,” from Selma, but some lyrics of his just cost him a commencement speaking gig at New Jersey’s Kean University.

“The students expressed interest in Common because he composed the Oscar-winning song Glory with our prior commencement speaker John Legend,” a Kean spokesperson said, per The Record. “While we respect his talent, Kean is pursuing other speaker options.”

State police had complained about “A Song for Assata,” a 2000 song in which Common defended a woman convicted of killing Trooper Werner Foerster. The song includes lyrics critical of the police’s treatment of Joanne Chesimard, who eventually escaped prison for Cuba:

Scandalous the police were as they kicked and beat her
Comprehension she was beyond, tryna hold on
To life. She thought she’d live with no arm
That’s what it felt like, got to the hospital, eyes held tight
They moved her room to room-she could tell by the light
Handcuffed tight to the bed, through her skin it bit
Put guns to her head, every word she got hit
“Who shot the trooper?” they asked her
Put mace in her eyes, threatened to blast her

The trooper’s organization called it a “slap in the face.”

“A state university that is subsidized with state taxpayer funds is once again being questioned on their decision-making at the highest levels,” said the head of State Troopers Fraternal Association of New Jersey. The fraternal organization also protested Common’s 2011 invitation to the White House.

The school deleted its tweeted announcement, and tweeted that the selection was not official yet. Responses indicated that Common had already been announced as the speaker:

I guess showing Mighty Whitey more love isn't working for Common everywhere...

Comments

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

braaa he never said showing white people love would end/cure/help racism
  • Stiff
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/18/common-white-people-cure-to-racism_n_6895864.html

Common Says Black People Showing Love To White People Is The Cure To Racism (VIDEO)

The Huffington Post | By Brennan Williams

As America continues to question and wrestle with the myth of a “post-racial” society, it appears Common may have found a possible solution to combat racism ... or maybe not.

During an appearance on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show” last week, the Oscar and Golden Globe winner explained why black people should extend a hand to white people and “forget about the past” as it pertains to race relations.

"If we've been bullied, we've been beat down and we don't want it anymore. We are not extending a fist and we are not saying, 'You did us wrong.' It's more like, 'Hey, I'm extending my hand in love,'” he said to host Jon Stewart. “Let’s forget about the past as much as we can and let’s move from where we are now. How can we help each other? Can you try to help us because we are going to try to help ourselves, too."

To underscore his resolution, the Chicago native went on to state how focusing on racism from the past is similar to reiterating negative issues within relationships.

“Me as a black man, I’m not sitting there like, ‘Hey, white people, y’all did us wrong.’ We know that existed,” Common said. “I don’t even have to keep bringing that up. It's like being in a relationship and continuing to bring up the person's issues. Now I'm saying, 'Hey, I love you. Let's move past this. Come on, baby, let’s get past this.'”

The rapper's comments have since drawn a few opposing reactions. Most notably, New York Times columnist and author Charles Blow took to his personal Twitter account on Tuesday night to offer his two cents:

I may not be the best reader in the world...? the title...where did he say that "showing love to white people is the cure to racism" or anything close to that

He said we should show love..but he didn't say anything about it ending racism
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Preciate you not typing "Coonin Common" in thread title
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should have extend their hand
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? 'em on to the next venture for Common
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

he never shouldve said anything that could be misinterpreted as that tho...

2 weeks later he gets his Wake Up Call
  • Stiff
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

He ain't say ? different from what MLK used to say.

Any thing you say can be misinterpreted if people are going to put words in your mouth as the headline and then people don't even bother to read the entire article or watch the video to see what you ACTUALLY said.

If Common is a ? ..then so was MLK. But that's not saying much tho because I know there are plenty of people on here who call MLK a ? too so oh well.
  • Stiff
    Options

He ain't say ? different from what MLK used to say.

Any thing you say can be misinterpreted if people are going to put words in your mouth as the headline and then people don't even bother to read the entire article or watch the video to see what you ACTUALLY said.

If Common is a ? ..then so was MLK. But that's not saying much tho because I know there are plenty of people on here who call MLK a ? too so oh well.
    Exactly tho bruh.

MLK did that so Common dont have to go through that

Baseball-Player-Tries-To-Hold-In-The-Laughter-During-Zoom.gif

lmao to be clear I don't agree with what he said...but I'm just saying I don't think he deserves to be called a ? for it..he was just talking that turn the other cheek ? ...I mean he did just get through doing the movie Selma.

It coulda been like how they said after Pac did Juice and he BECAME Bishop..maybe same thing happened to Common
  • Ilike2get baked
    Ilike2get baked Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It isn't so simple as extending your hand now is it Common?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good thing too... those lyrics are mad gangsta.
  • Kakarot
    Kakarot Members Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace and love.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    So police dictate to colleges what to do?

Ain't that some ? ?
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ain't that some ? ?

What should be the real story won't be.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good question.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *other words* extend hand
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol

They turned on him quick.

Might not be long before Oprah and Lee Daniels turn on him.

They've probably already started to distance themselves from him.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There have been 295 people killed by police in 2015, we need more musicians talking about the police.