NBC Reviving "The Wiz"

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
NBC Reveals ‘The Wiz’ as Next Live TV Musical Special
April 15, 2015 | 12:45PM PT

wiz-nbc-musical.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

NBC will ease on down the road for its next live musical television event: “The Wiz” will take centerstage Dec. 3, the net announced Monday.

“The Wiz” marks NBC’s third such production, following the success of “The Sound of Music Live!,” starring Carrie Underwood, and “Peter Pan Live!,” in which Allison Williams played the title character.

“The Wiz” will be co-produced by Cirque du Soleil’s new stage theatrical division. After the television event, the musical will make its Broadway revival for the 2016-17 season, also presented by Cirque du Soleil.

Casting for both projects has yet to be announced.

Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who exec produced NBC’s “Sound of Music” and “Peter Pan,” return as exec producers. Kenny Leon directs both the TV production and the Broadway revival, along with Harvey Fierstein, who will contribute new material to the original Broadway book by William F. Brown.

“We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to not only produce this as our next live musical for NBC, but to then see it move to Broadway for a new generation to experience,” said Zadan. Meron added, “It will be a joy to work again with Kenny Leon, who did ‘Steel Magnolias’ and ‘Raisin in the Sun’ with us.”

Opening in 1975, “The Wiz” ran for four years on Broadway and won seven Tonys, including best musical. It retells the classic story of “The Wizard of Oz” in an African-American context. NBC’s announcement of the holiday television event comes at a time when broadcast networks are setting more diversified roles and casting more and more minority actors on TV, following the success of Fox’s “Empire” and ABC’s “How to Get Away With Murder,” among other series.

“We love this yearly tradition, and we’re more excited than ever to not only bring another Broadway musical to America’s living rooms, but also see it land on Broadway as well,” said NBC Entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt. “It’s a natural next step for our live musical events, and we’re so pleased to be in business with this award-winning creative team and Scott Zeiger, president and managing director of Cirque du Soleil’s new theatrical division. Cirque’s incredible imagination will help bring the fantasy world of Oz vividly to life and give this great show a modern spin on the age-old story we all love.”

“We are delighted that NBC and Cirque du Soleil will present ‘The Wiz,’” Zeiger said. “It’s a musical I have wanted to produce for years, and it’s the perfect show to present under the new Cirque du Soleil Theatrical banner.”

Earlier this year, Greenblatt confirmed that the Peacock had licensed the rights to “The Wiz,” which was a contender for 2015 along with “The Music Man.”

“The Wiz” is adapted from “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz,” by L. Frank Baum, with Brown’s book and music and lyrics by Charlie Smalls. Universal Television will produce.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-wiz-nbc-live-television-musical-1201462700/

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The OG had

Dianna Ross as Dorthy
    Michael Jackson as Scarecrow
    &
    Nippsy Russell as TinMan

Who yall want in the new?
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Chris Brown could work as the Scarecrow.

Nobody hiring him tho for network tv
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More news about the project; Queen Latifah will be playing the Wiz, and Mary J. Blige will be Evillene, the Wicked Witch of the West.

Also, Stephanie Mills, who played Dorothy in the Broadway version, will be Auntie Em.

They haven't announced who will be Dorothy, but I won't lie in hoping it's Ashanti's thick ass.
  • focus
    Options
    Okay cast so far. Since Stephanie Mills is Aunt Em I feel like Diana Ross should be Glinda.

I agree Chris Brown should be Scarecrow, but they'll probably cast somebody safe and wack like Jason Deluro or something. I know the whole point of The Wiz is its all Black, but id be cool with Bruno Mars doing it.

Brandy campaigning hard for Dorothy. I think she'd be good.

Im honestly not all that familiar with the play. I know its different in alot of ways than the movie and they basing this on the plays version.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Chris Brown would be perfect as the scarecrow but he can't stay out of trouble.
    Austin Brown could do it, that's Michael Jackson's nephew, dude sings and dances like Mike and his mom is Debbie.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? hate that movie.

Ugly ass big ass witch used to give me nightmares. I was legit scared of her as a kid.

Ugly ass flying monkeys, ? ass city, them ? red things that came out the walls, trash everywhere. ? yall talking about that was a horror movie.

I hid that tape so many ? times. One time I switched the cover with the Joy Luck Club because I knew my mom would never reach for that. She used to just buy ? to fill up space.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    supposedly beyonce might be in it
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo momma look like michael jackson when he did the wiz.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stephanie Mills was about 18 or 19 when she was playing Dorothy on Broadway when old ass Diana Ross strong-armed her for the role in the movie...

I'd rather a much younger Black woman who can sing be cast in the remake... ? a Beyonce or Ashanti...
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »
    Stephanie Mills was about 18 or 19 when she was playing Dorothy on Broadway when old ass Diana Ross strong-armed her for the role in the movie...

I'd rather a much younger Black woman who can sing be cast in the remake... ? a Beyonce or Ashanti...

I remember watching that thinking "damn, Diana Ross is in her mid 30's playing Dorothy. They couldn't find anybody?"

Funny part about that movie was, all the good songs were when she wasn't singing. Lol.

Take out all her singing parts and the movie is an hour and a half tops.

• focus
    Options
    The Wiz (movie) was a Motown production and Diana Ross was the queen of Motown. Of course she was gonna star.
  • BenjaminE
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    The Wiz (movie) was a Motown production and Diana Ross was the queen of Motown. Of course she was gonna star.

Per IMDB:

"The original New York production of "The Wiz" opened at the Majestic Theater on January 5, 1975, starring Stephanie Mills, ran for 1,672 performances and won the 1975 Tony Awards for the Best Musical and Score and was nominated for Best Book."

"Motown Productions bought the rights to the stage show with the intent of having Stephanie Mills reprise the role of Dorothy. However, Diana Ross lobbied intensely for the role. Despite the fact that everyone (including Motown head and former lover Berry Gordy) believed that she, being 13 years older than Mills, was too old, she insisted that the role of Dorothy was ageless. She also said she would be able to guarantee Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow if she was cast."

"Original director John Badham was fired when he objected to Diana Ross, then 33 years old, being cast as the 14-year-old Dorothy. Though in the movie her role was changed to a 24-year-old kindergarten school teacher."

She was a diva bruh... she pulled strings and changed the movie to suit her needs cuz she was a fame ? ... they made the character 10 years older, and she was still 10 years too old to play her...
  • TheGOAT
    Options

U turning down all that ? ... Smh
  • BenjaminE
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Naturi Naughton>>>>>
  • TheGOAT
    Options

Naturi Naughton>>>>>

Greater than Ashanti or Beyonce???

U crazy
  • BenjaminE
    Options

Naturi Naughton>>>>>

U crazy

Nah... but I'm not ? her...

She's a better singer than Ashanti and better actress than Beyonce...

It's the Black version of The Wizard of Oz... why Dorothy gotta be a grown ass woman?
  • TheGOAT
    Options

Naturi Naughton>>>>>

U crazy

It's the Black version of The Wizard of Oz... why Dorothy gotta be a grown ass woman?

Go with young singer actress Tinashe then...

11356630_112980505701498_1633162513_n.jpg
  • BenjaminE
    Options

Naturi Naughton>>>>>

U crazy

Go with young singer actress Tinashe then...

11356630_112980505701498_1633162513_n.jpg

Now we're talking...
  • BenjaminE
    Options
    ... damn... smash...
  • focus
    edited August 2015
    Options

Per IMDB:

"The original New York production of "The Wiz" opened at the Majestic Theater on January 5, 1975, starring Stephanie Mills, ran for 1,672 performances and won the 1975 Tony Awards for the Best Musical and Score and was nominated for Best Book."

"Motown Productions bought the rights to the stage show with the intent of having Stephanie Mills reprise the role of Dorothy. However, Diana Ross lobbied intensely for the role. Despite the fact that everyone (including Motown head and former lover Berry Gordy) believed that she, being 13 years older than Mills, was too old, she insisted that the role of Dorothy was ageless. She also said she would be able to guarantee Michael Jackson as the Scarecrow if she was cast."

"Original director John Badham was fired when he objected to Diana Ross, then 33 years old, being cast as the 14-year-old Dorothy. Though in the movie her role was changed to a 24-year-old kindergarten school teacher."

She was a diva bruh... she pulled strings and changed the movie to suit her needs cuz she was a fame ? ... they made the character 10 years older, and she was still 10 years too old to play her...

So, yea, like I said...she had enough clout to get the role despite her age, and have the original director fired.

Judy Garland definitely wasn't 12. It was supposed to be Shirley Temple.

Dorothy being cast too old is pretty much tradition.
  • focus
    edited August 2015
    Options
    They cast David Alan Grier as The Cowardly Lion, which is random, and some no name chick as Dorothy who definitely isn't an Ashanti or Tinashe or a Beyonce. She's 18, but looks much older.

Whole thing starting to go off the rails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ovnCVj3IM
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They cast David Alan Grier as The Cowardly Lion, which is random, and some no name chick as Dorothy who definitely isn't an Ashanti. She's 18, but looks much older.

Whole thing starting to go off the rails.

David Alan Grier does have drama acting chops in theater. As long as he don't have to dance he should be straight. As for shorty, apparently she has experience theater which is good.

Can she sing? Can she dance? Do She Got Dat Ass?