World's Muslim Population Will Surpass Christians This Century, Pew Says

Options
onthafly
onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/04/02/397042004/muslim-population-will-surpass-christians-this-century-pew-says
Islam is growing more rapidly than any other religion in the world, according to a new report by the Pew Research Center that says the religion will nearly equal Christianity by 2050 before eclipsing it around 2070, if current trends continue.

"The main reason Muslims are growing not only in number but in share worldwide is because of where they live," Alan Cooperman, Pew's director of religion research, tells NPR's Tom Gjelten. "Muslim populations are concentrated in some of the fastest-growing parts of the world."

The finding is part of the center's report on the future of the world's religions. You can see the full report at the Pew site, which has also published an interactive tool to help readers drill down by geography and religion.

"As of 2010, Christianity was by far the world's largest religion, with an estimated 2.2 billion adherents, nearly a third (31 percent) of all 6.9 billion people on Earth," the Pew report says. "Islam was second, with 1.6 billion adherents, or 23 percent of the global population."

Those numbers are predicted to shift in the coming decades, as the world's population rises to 9.3 billion by the middle of this century. In that time, Pew projects, Islam will grow by 73 percent while Christianity will grow by 35 percent — resulting in 2.8 billion Muslims and 2.9 billion Christians worldwide.

The report says that by 2050:

In the U.S., Christianity will decline to claim two-thirds of the population, instead of the more than three-quarters who claimed the religion in 2010.
Islam will supplant Judaism as the second-most popular religion in the U.S.
India will displace Indonesia as the home of the world's largest Muslim population, even as the country retains its Hindu majority.
In addition, Pew says, "Four out of every 10 Christians in the world will live in sub-Saharan Africa."

In addition to presenting raw numbers and projections, the Pew report looks at the demographic trends that are fueling the changes.

One factor is the wide range of fertility rates, with only Christians and Muslims currently higher than the world average fertility rate of 2.5.
Total Fertility Rate by Religion, 2010-2015

Buddhists are seen having the lowest fertility rate — part of the reason why Buddhism is projected to be the world's only major religion that's projected not to grow over the next four decades.

While the growth of Islam is tied to fast-growing populations, Pew says, another group will be shrinking: those who are atheist, agnostic or unaffiliated with a religion. That group will decline globally, the center's reports says, despite "increasing in countries such as the United States and France."

Comments

• huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I swore Islam was the largest religion in the world in the first place?

And I don't believe more people are turning to religion as time goes on. Maybe that's just me being American
  • onthafly
    edited April 2015
    Options
    huey wrote: »

And I don't believe more people are turning to religion as time goes on. Maybe that's just me being American

It's the largest if you don't consider Catholicism and protestant Christianity to be the same thing. Christianity is the largest religion in the world due to the numbers that the Catholic church provides.

The vatican clearly doesn't want to group themselves with protestant Christians since they called Islam the worlds largest religion but most polls will group all of them under the Christianity umbrella.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/03/30/vatican-islam-surpasses-roman-catholicism-as-world-largest-religion/

1.6 billion muslims
    1.2 billion catholics
    800 million protestants
    180 million misc
    2.18 billion christians when you group catholics, protestant, baptist and all the other misc sects of christianity.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The report is flawed. Free thinkers will take over.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Atheist population will decline that's pretty surprising.
  • onthafly
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    Atheist population will decline that's pretty surprising.

Could just be that the groups with the highest birth rates are followers of some type of religion. Just my guess though.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bin Laden was right as far as the strong horse weak horse anology goes
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Zzombie ain't gonna like this
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Islam is a false religion regardless
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? thought I was lyin in the reasons lol
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope by then religion itself dies off.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its all good we are all going to the same place one way or the other in the end anyway
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't let the ? Christians know that, they'll really get paranoid and start tripping then.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Islam was a sacred science hence Baghdad was at one point the center of the scientific and medical research in the world. Then dogma happen and corrupted it's cote but Mansa Musa built Timbiktu and it carried it's true source. Christianity is a psychological and astrological book. The most high aka creator has so many different aspects there aren't enough humans who lives and died to even cover a portion of all the aspects of the most high.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall believe anything
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is ? by it's very nature because it's really impossible to estimate something like religious affiliation and growth. What about all the people hiding there real religious affiliation. For example there are secret churches in China Vietnam and even Saudi Arabia
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    housemouse wrote: »

It's the largest if you don't consider Catholicism and protestant Christianity to be the same thing. Christianity is the largest religion in the world due to the numbers that the Catholic church provides.

The vatican clearly doesn't want to group themselves with protestant Christians since they called Islam the worlds largest religion but most polls will group all of them under the Christianity umbrella.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/03/30/vatican-islam-surpasses-roman-catholicism-as-world-largest-religion/

1.6 billion muslims
    1.2 billion catholics
    800 million protestants
    180 million misc
    2.18 billion christians when you group catholics, protestant, baptist and all the other misc sects of christianity.

This is just propaganda. Why would you split up the christians but not the muslims?

Madhhab_Map3.png
  • onthafly
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    This is ? by it's very nature because it's really impossible to estimate something like religious affiliation and growth. What about all the people hiding there real religious affiliation. For example there are secret churches in China Vietnam and even Saudi Arabia

umad.gif
  • onthafly
    edited April 2015
    Options

1.6 billion muslims
    1.2 billion catholics
    800 million protestants
    180 million misc

This is just propaganda. Why would you split up the christians but not the muslims?

Madhhab_Map3.png

The Vatican themselves separated Catholicism from Christianity and called Islam the worlds largest religion. I don't know why they would want to spread pro islam propaganda. Like I said, most polls group them all together which is why the article in the op predicts that the muslim population will surpass the christian population by 2070.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea cuz they killing Christians left and right hand over fist.
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

1.6 billion muslims
    1.2 billion catholics
    800 million protestants
    180 million misc

Madhhab_Map3.png

The Vatican themselves separated Catholicism from Christianity and called Islam the worlds largest religion. I don't know why they would want to spread pro islam propaganda. Like I said, most polls group them all together which is why the article in the op predicts that the muslim population will surpass the christian population by 2070.

It doesn't make sense to group shias and sunnis together, but if you count all the sunni schools as one it might be slightly bigger than catholicism.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the problem A Talented One?
  • onthafly
    Options

1.6 billion muslims
    1.2 billion catholics
    800 million protestants
    180 million misc

Madhhab_Map3.png

It doesn't make sense to group shias and sunnis together, but if you count all the sunni schools as one it might be slightly bigger than catholicism.

Personally I'd group all muslims together and all Christians together as well but I was under the impression that a lot of protestants didn't consider catholics to be real christians.
  • zzombie
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

umad.gif

You are officially a ? made ? and this thread is based on ? and that article Is faulty as hell
  • zzombie
    Options
    Shia Islam is nothing like Sunni Islam they really are two divergent religions