12-Yr-Old Leukemia Patient Kicked Out Of Catholic School For Excessive Absences

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Rose-McGrath-WWMT-800x430.png

A 12-year-old cancer survivor was kicked out of a Catholic school in Michigan because she missed too many days of class.

Rose McGrath was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in August 2012 and has undergone treatment ever since, reported WWMT-TV.

She recently finished with her treatment but is still recovering, her mother said.

“You still have a very long recovery process because you’ve basically just put two and a half years of poison into your body, (so) you’re not recovering overnight,” said Barbara McGrath.

With about a month left in the school year, the McGraths received a letter from Battle Creek Area Catholic Schools notifying them that Rose had been dismissed because she failed to meet academic or attendance standards.

Her parents concede that Rose, who has been enrolled in the district since she started school, had attended only 32 days of class this year – but they said she was still on track to pass her core classes.

“I didn’t do anything wrong, but they still got rid of me,” Rose said.

The letter claims teachers and school staff tried to accommodate Rose and even reduced her workload.

“These were extraordinary circumstances, but so many accommodations were made we felt eventually it became a point where we really had to help Rose by being able to make sure that she was getting the assistance that she needed and to learn,” said Father John Fleckenstein, with Battle Creek Area Catholic Schools.

Rose’s parents, however, disagree and have filed a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights because they don’t believe the school’s accommodations were adequate for such a seriously ill child.

“It’s not like she’s out at the mall having fun — she’s in her bed, sick with nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain,” Barbara McGrath said. “She’s not having fun, she’s sick. She’d be at school if she could.”

Comments

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you'd be suprised on how often this happens. 90% of those working in schools don't give af about the children
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Faith can be ice cold
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah that aint the whole story...

Sentences with school and catholics...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is Leukemia Greek for "no legs and no compass?"

Get your sick ass to school ? . She think private school is a game? When I was in elementary school I had to walk 15 miles to get to school. In the snow! And that was in Summer School! Had to walk 15 miles bruh! And the school was only 6 blocks down the street.

I had to bring an EKG machine, my insulin, my asthma pump, and shock pads just in case a ? heart gave out because of my seasonal heart cancer.

But this little ? cant make it to school on time cuz of some punk ass leukemia? ? I got leukemia right now and Im typing this from the gym with the treadmill on 6.5 incline doing a full sprint on speed 10. Tell that lil ? to get her ? weight the ? up.

DISGUSTING.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    Rose-McGrath-WWMT-800x430.png

A 12-year-old cancer survivor was kicked out of a Catholic school in Michigan because she missed too many days of class.

Rose McGrath was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in August 2012 and has undergone treatment ever since, reported WWMT-TV.

She recently finished with her treatment but is still recovering, her mother said.

“You still have a very long recovery process because you’ve basically just put two and a half years of poison into your body, (so) you’re not recovering overnight,” said Barbara McGrath.

With about a month left in the school year, the McGraths received a letter from Battle Creek Area Catholic Schools notifying them that Rose had been dismissed because she failed to meet academic or attendance standards.

Her parents concede that Rose, who has been enrolled in the district since she started school, had attended only 32 days of class this year – but they said she was still on track to pass her core classes.

“I didn’t do anything wrong, but they still got rid of me,” Rose said.

The letter claims teachers and school staff tried to accommodate Rose and even reduced her workload.

“These were extraordinary circumstances, but so many accommodations were made we felt eventually it became a point where we really had to help Rose by being able to make sure that she was getting the assistance that she needed and to learn,” said Father John Fleckenstein, with Battle Creek Area Catholic Schools.

Rose’s parents, however, disagree and have filed a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights because they don’t believe the school’s accommodations were adequate for such a seriously ill child.

“It’s not like she’s out at the mall having fun — she’s in her bed, sick with nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain,” Barbara McGrath said. “She’s not having fun, she’s sick. She’d be at school if she could.”

@ the bolded
    I would have been ? if I was a student there.

Private school work ain't no joke and this chick don't have to do all the things I have to do to pass, ? that ? .
  • kingofkingz
    kingofkingz Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? white so life gonna be easy as Sunday morning for her ? her t-_-t
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »

Get your sick ass to school ? . She think private school is a game? When I was in elementary school I had to walk 15 miles to get to school. In the snow! And that was in Summer School! Had to walk 15 miles bruh! And the school was only 6 blocks down the street.

I had to bring an EKG machine, my insulin, my asthma pump, and shock pads just in case a ? heart gave out because of my seasonal heart cancer.

But this little ? cant make it to school on time cuz of some punk ass leukemia? ? I got leukemia right now and Im typing this from the gym with the treadmill on 6.5 incline doing a full sprint on speed 10. Tell that lil ? to get her ? weight the ? up.

DISGUSTING.

Lol @ seasonal heart cancer...
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »

DISGUSTING.

sosa-laughing-o.gif