Question about songs being left off American albums............

Options
Built 4 cuban linx
Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why the ? are songs left off US albums? for example ? kills was left off ? son here but put on copies overseas or that wack ass pacs life album had scared straight(arguably the best song on the album) released in japan but not on the copy I bought. I lost for buying the album in the first place but the ? is a japan to be worthy of having that song and not me? the same with other albums I cant think of right now

But not just that but I bought distant relatives the first day it came out, got a ? poster and everything but I didnt get songs that the people who buy the ? on itunes would get. if I drive my black ass to the store and buy your album give me every gotdamn song, the ? ? Good thing for the internet that i can just download the songs but still I want them on my official copy, why is stuff like this done? anyone know? was this explained before?

Comments

• Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    appreciation for fans overseas?
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    "? killz" was on the copy I bought. It came with a bonus disc with "thugz mirror" and "The G.O.D"
  • willywanker
    willywanker Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your just not worthy, the copy I bought had ? killz on it ha ha ha but seriously that is a very valid point you made.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    my copy ended with heaven been bumpin that album since 02 came across ? kills over the internet a few years ago thought i had some exclusive unreleased ? and found out it was on ? son smh then i looked it up and some site said it was on the japan edition or something. didnt know it was sold here in the states
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Question about CD's? Yall ? still listen to those?
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea my gods son came with the bonus disc, but it's not on the actual album was it on the actual album overseas or did they just get the bonus disc too? And didn't this happen with Silent murder back in the day or was that the cassette version compared to the cd version, either way makes no sense
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Label and or Nas probably didnt wanna pay for it to be on the album. Dont these rappers have like a 12 track limit? Never know, Nas went over that buy like 2 songs maybe he just didnt wanna pay for that one other track
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why the ? are songs left off US albums? for example ? kills was left off ? son here but put on copies overseas or that wack ass pacs life album had scared straight(arguably the best song on the album) released in japan but not on the copy I bought. I lost for buying the album in the first place but the ? is a japan to be worthy of having that song and not me? the same with other albums I cant think of right now

But not just that but I bought distant relatives the first day it came out, got a ? poster and everything but I didnt get songs that the people who buy the ? on itunes would get. if I drive my black ass to the store and buy your album give me every gotdamn song, the ? ? Good thing for the internet that i can just download the songs but still I want them on my official copy, why is stuff like this done? anyone know? was this explained before?

I was told by an industry guy back in the day, that they do that for marketing purposes. So ten years from then, theyll release their greatest hits album with special previously "unreleased tracks", which would be those songs previously released over seas...........but now with the internet, I guess that strategy aint quite as effective.

*What ? me up is, I believe it was Pete Rock & CL Smooths 1st album.
    The Cassette had an extra song that didnt appear on the CD....U pay more for the CD, so what was the logic behind that?

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Beatles used to do that. They'd release an album with 12 songs but the American version would only have 10 songs. After doing this several times they had enough songs for a new album. So the record label told them they were going to take the bonus tracks and make an album. Well, they felt like their albums were their babies and the metaphor they used was they were "chopping up their babies". So they designed an album cover with chopped up babies.

The_Beatles-Yesterday_And_Today-Frontal.jpg

Somehow these albums got out with the chopped up babies before somebody at Capitol records made them recall them and take them off the shelves. But some people still own them. They sell for hundreds and thousands of dollars. There's original pressings and second and third pressings. If you can get an original first pressing of The Beatles Yesterday And Today in mint condition it would be worth thousands of dollars. And the whole album is just songs that weren't released in America but people in the UK had them.

Anyway, as far as Hip Hop goes, sometimes you can't clear a sample in America but you can clear the exact same sample from the exact same record overseas. Record contracts are funny like that. The terms and conditions are different domestically vs Internationally.
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

Everyday bruh!

I'm not an audiophile per se, but its hard to beat the sound quality of CD's. Plus I'm jus a tad bit old school and haven't completely let go yet. lol
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »

Everyday bruh!

I'm not an audiophile per se, but its hard to beat the sound quality of CD's. Plus I'm jus a tad bit old school and haven't completely let go yet. lol

It's funny because people from previous generations will say the same thing about their vinyl... whatever the next format is, 20 years from now the kids of today will be like "you just can't beat the quality of MP3s but I'm just old school like that"
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options

Everyday bruh!

Straight up, i stay with the CD case in the whip to this day, i keep all the hard copies of the classics on me
    I got the aux cord too but majority of the time im bumping a diffrent CD/album everyday..
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I live in UK. A few of the albums I have copped have some tracks with "UK version only" on it.

It's often a remix though.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

Everyday bruh!

It's funny because people from previous generations will say the same thing about their vinyl... whatever the next format is, 20 years from now the kids of today will be like "you just can't beat the quality of MP3s but I'm just old school like that"

Vinyl and CD quality are superior to MP3, MP3 is only only popular due to file size, FLAC provides Vinyl and CD quality; it just takes up alot more HDD space but if you download music you really should be using FLAC when possible, provided you have a modern HDD...

Streaming services look like the future and the quality is not that good, it seems with each next level people are taking song quantity over audio quality...

Anyways OT; I figured it was either due to sample clearance or a dollar value thing just b/c I pay $10-$12 for CD doesn't mean thats what other countries pay so add a bonus track for extra incentive for the customer...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CD quality is the best. Although when you convert a vinyl record to CD it has a warmer sound. CDs sound a lil too polished and glossy.

Mp3s are convenient due to their file size and convenience (and their price) but CDs sound better.

Also if you d/l a song illegally sometimes the file is corrupted.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    even with my ipod, I still buy cds from my favorite artist or if someone releases a good album that I see myself listening to years later. Add them to my hip hop collection. I remember when 5 grand posted his vinyl collection on here, that was amazing. 20 years down the line he will still have those albums, idk where the hell my Ipod or computer will be then, realize how ridiculous that will look? someone try to show me they music collection and pull out a computer, ill laugh in they face
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Btw that sample issue might be a good point
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options

Label and or Nas probably didnt wanna pay for it to be on the album. Dont these rappers have like a 12 track limit? Never know, Nas went over that buy like 2 songs maybe he just didnt wanna pay for that one other track

they dont have a limit per se. labels consider an "album" to be 11 songs which they'll "pay for" and the rest comes out of pocket.

I remember lupe saying that in a recent interview, I also wonder if thats the reason jay had 3 songs packed in on the last track of blueprint and vol 3, either that or it was to hide the songs from bootleggers