Quentin Tarantino VS Spike Lee

Options
TheGOAT
TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Lights, Camera, Action!
quentin_tarantino_599375.jpgspike_lee_mars_blackmon_1604255.jpg

Quentin Tarantino
quentin_tarantino_movies_by_tocaimacomics-d7sm2gc.png

Spike Lee

spike-lee-is-the-next-big-name-in-film-turning-to-kickstarter-to-fund-a-movie.png

Quentin Tarantino VS Spike Lee 39 votes

Quentin Tarantino
46%
thephantasmthemadlionsfanDarthRozayvageneral08Max.StoneColdMikeyKairoDarcSkiesHafBaykedVader_F_Kennedy_Goldie_BetaInglewood_BBabaaavictory_kidTheManInBlack4.0BangEm_Bart TheGOAT 18 votes
Spike Lee
53%
kingofkingzfreshb651nawledge_godthe ghostrip.dillaobnoxiouslyfreshRobCoLifeking hassanfocusillestni99ainneCapitalBdesertrain10I Self Lord & MasterLord_Hades_08Busta Carmichael Big KolaonetoughmiracleKingFreemanyahwehprofetD. Morgan 21 votes

Comments

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    Can't compare them because they have 2 completely different styles. Spike doesn't make too many action flicks and Tarantino doesn't make dramas.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    Spike lee hasn't had a good movie in years
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    Spike lee hasn't had a good movie in years

• TheGOAT
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    Can't compare them because they have 2 completely different styles.

Exactly

Who's style is better
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Exactly

Who's style is better

Tarantino in some ways but at the same time:

Denzel/Spike Lee >> Tarantino/Sam Jackson

Spike hasn't really ventured out to do anything outside of the box like Tarantino so I'd be bias unless he started making spaghetti westerns and action flicks. Spike is a hit or miss in his genre but their aren't too many directors that can pull of what he does but Antoine Fuqua might be coming for his spot so I'm gonna give it to QT.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    How many director's make movies like QT?

Zero...barely Robert Rodriguez n eli Roth barely touch his films.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited May 2015
    Options
    they left a couple spike movies off that list...

anyway...

i tried to do this by comparing 4 of my favorite movies by both.

spike:
    do the right thing
    he got game
    jungle fever
    malcolm x

tarantino:
    ? bill vol. 1
    inglourious basterds
    jackie brown
    pulp fiction

couldn't choose. *shrug*
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino

Exactly

Who's style is better

159492863_b8fa12.gif
    giphy.gif
    tumblr_n5fe34ihxr1rqd0kpo1_r1_500.gif
    giphy.gif
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    I'm the lone holdout for Spike huh? Just for Malcolm X and Do the right thing Spike should be winning this but I digress.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Spike Lee
    Spike brought a realistic relatable human representation of black people of all walks of live, which is rare even today. Its almost as if were raceless props, or black cararicatures when represented on screen.

For that alone, debating whos better is one thing, but I'll say hes more important of a director that fact. This goes beyond simply being entertained
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    If you ask me to choose 1 movie, im taking X.

If you ask me to pick a collection to binge watch I'm taking Tarantino all day every day
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    Us is more or less a south Africa of the west to an extant. And with us's influence the history of this nations racial situation will be discussed for hundreds of years. That gives do tge right thing and malcolm.x AT LEAST 100 more years of shelve life. Think about that. Thats nothong to to dismiss

Same thing with katrina. Thats a huge event in the history of this nation. With all tge nonestop coverage, and flood of specials and docs on tge subject, who covered it better than spike? (when the levees broke) thats nothing to gawk at

Spike droppin historical documents that accurately represent the people and meets their approval in a realm where that aint taking place
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    Do The Right Thing & Malcolm X >>>> Anything Quentin Has Ever Done
    But With That Being Said QT Is More Consistent Than Spike
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    I'm the lone holdout for Spike huh? Just for Malcolm X and Do the right thing Spike should be winning this but I digress.

His falloff has been something serious tho
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    I change my vote to Spike Lee.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Spike Lee
    Maybe my favorite two directors, but Spike don't get his credit at all. Not from white people, and now I guess no longer from his own. ? on some what have you done for me lately ? I see. ? realize he been at this for 30 years? Lets see how Quentin holds up in the next ten. He already talking retirement.
  • TheGOAT
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    focus wrote: »
    Maybe my favorite two directors, but Spike don't get his credit at all. Not from white people, and now I guess no longer from his own. ? on some what have you done for me lately ? I see. ? realize he been at this for 30 years? Lets see how Quentin holds up in the next ten. He already talking retirement.

My top 3 are

Scorsese
    QT
    Spike

But did you see Red Hook Summer... Straight ? juice

I been rooting and supporting spike at the theaters but hes been disappointing for years.

He gets his credit but not for sub-par work
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    Spike and that wasn't even a tough choice
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    Spike brought a realistic relatable human representation of black people of all walks of live, which is rare even today. Its almost as if were raceless props, or black cararicatures when represented on screen.

For that alone, debating whos better is one thing, but I'll say hes more important of a director that fact. This goes beyond simply being entertained

Co-sign. On that same note, Spike doesn't get enough credit as a true visionary. No other movie looks and sounds like a Spike Lee joint. You know a Spike Lee movie when hear and see it.

Quentin Tarantino definitely has his own style for sure, but a lot of the time he pulls "inspiration" from other films.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    I got this ? framed in my house, so you already know

78whM4R.png
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike lee tries to make art while Quentin Tarantino makes entertainment
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Exactly

Who's style is better

Spike hasn't really ventured out to do anything outside of the box like Tarantino so I'd be bias unless he started making spaghetti westerns and action flicks. Spike is a hit or miss in his genre but their aren't too many directors that can pull of what he does but Antoine Fuqua might be coming for his spot so I'm gonna give it to QT.

Spike has touched on about every genre of movie possible. His body of work is far more expansive than Quentin's. He does everything from Broadway to documentaries, so that statement is categorically false.

I like what Quentin does, but he has a formula and he sticks to it because it works. His movies are great, but they have little to no social significance--he isn't really taking any chances,he just gives the fans what they want and that's cool.

Anyhow, this is apples and oranges for me. I couldn't even begin to compare the two, but Do the Right Thing and Pulp Fiction are both unfuckwithable.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, if you're real young on this ? , you probably don't understand how significant Spike's contributions are and haven't had a chance to watch him change and succeed in about every medium possible.
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    Spikes few action movies weren't good with the exception of the inside man with Denzel Washington. QT has the upperhand in that category but Spike is more of a storyteller and centers around drama and realism. QT doesn't deal with those topics which is why I say it's different.