Harry Shearer, voice of Ned Flanders leaves the Simpsons

Options
Breezy_Kilroy
Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
Shearer confirmed the news himself on his Twitter account, and suggested the departure was a result of a conflict between himself and The Simpsons' showrunners. "This is because I wanted what we've always had: the freedom to do other work", Shearer said.

from James L. Brooks' lawyer: "show will go on, Harry will not be part of it, wish him the best.". (1/2)

Shearer voiced multiple characters in the series, including (but hardly limited to) Ned Flanders, Principal Skinner, Mr Burns, Waylon Smithers, Lenny, Jasper, Otto, Kent Brockman, Reverend Lovejoy, and Julius Hibbert.

I havent watched the Simpsons in years. It already has the title of GOAT they should bow out gracefully. I have no idea how it'll go on without him. He's voiced prominent and staple characters.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Daaaaaaaaamn. That's gonna be rough.

It actually makes things interesting though, you can't ? off all those characters (or can you?) and some of those voices, like Flanders, is iconic and can't be changed.

I don't see anyone losing sleep because Lenny has a new voice though or because he was killed off.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, looking at who all he voiced, they might wanna work that out with him.

Simpsons has already been renewed for two more seasons tho.
  • gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn I aint watch the simpsons since like 2005 might catch a rerun here and there but never seen none of the new ones. Messed up they trying to be stubborn with someone that does all those key voices.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Show loses a lot wihout him or Hank Azaria.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Wtf those are really important characters
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »

It actually makes things interesting though, you can't ? off all those characters (or can you?) and some of those voices, like Flanders, is iconic and can't be changed.

I don't see anyone losing sleep because Lenny has a new voice though or because he was killed off.

Lenny's dead??
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Haven't watched a new Simpsons episode in yrs. Got most of the older seasons on dvd so I still peep it. If they show older episodes on fx or local tv best believe I'm watching lol
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »

Lenny's dead??

Lol nah

I think he just meant no one cares about Lenny. But Flanders and burns are iconic. And he does all of them.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should take this as a hint to just end the show, it's long overdue.
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn that's crazy
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shearer voiced multiple characters in the series, including (but hardly limited to) Ned Flanders, Principal Skinner, Mr Burns, Waylon Smithers, Lenny, Jasper, Otto, Kent Brockman, Reverend Lovejoy, and Julius Hibbert.

RIP The Simpsons. Haven't seen that show in years, but Harry Shearer leaving is a death blow. There's like 5 people on that show that do 39804273598646579382 voices. One of them leaving ? up the whole program.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They got mad because he was doing other ? ? Wtf
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should take this as a hint to just end the show, it's long overdue.

^^^^this.

they should make a spin-off starring itchy and scratchy yo.
  • iron man1
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »

Lenny's dead??

Lol nah

I think he just meant no one cares about Lenny. But Flanders and burns are iconic. And he does all of them.

I misread the hell out of that ignore that guys lol just I haven't watched Simpsons in a goos 5 or 6 years as far as the new episodes. Checked out the marathon though for old times sake.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby wrote: »

RIP The Simpsons. Haven't seen that show in years, but Harry Shearer leaving is a death blow. There's like 5 people on that show that do 39804273598646579382 voices. One of them leaving ? up the whole program.

Lisa wack ass only do one voice IIRC
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • iron man1
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    THE SIMPSONS' SHOWRUNNER BAFFLED BY HARRY SHEARER SITUATION

BY NATHAN LAWRENCE

Al Jean, executive producer and showrunner of The Simpsons, is scratching his head over why Harry Shearer is walking away from the hit show.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Jean expressed confusion over Shearer's decision to depart.

"I'm a little baffled. The other five [voice stars] signed on May 1 and we offered him the same contract everybody else got offered, but he didn't sign so we started reading like we were going to and [were] waiting to see if he wanted to come back or not. Then about a week ago TMZ somehow got ahold of a story that [an unnamed voice actor from the cast] wasn't returning. Then last night Harry tweeted something to the extent that he was leaving the show — implying he wasn't wanted — which isn't true. We made him an offer and we're once more saying, '"Do you want to come back like everybody else and work hard and care about the show? Great.'"

According to Jean, Shearer and his co-stars have the freedom to work on other projects, too.

"He said he wanted to do other projects, which makes no sense because we've always let the cast do all the other projects they want — they have great free time. So I don't really know what he's up to [or] what he's thinking. I hope he comes back. The other misinformation that has been spread is that it would jeopardize these two seasons we're doing up until 625 episodes. That's for sure a pick-up from the network, and everybody else is pay-or-play — so we'll make those episodes. If he chooses not to come back, we'll recast. We will not ? his characters; that's one way to go. I'm sure there will be plusses and minuses with that and, at the moment, I'm hoping he comes back. But if he doesn't in a reasonable time, we'll have to do the other options."

Jean went on to clarify that because of the way the production schedule works, they've still got a few months to sort out what to do next.

The executive producer used the interview as a way to ask the talented voice actor to reconsider.

"Please call [executive producer] Jim Brooks and tell him what you want. And if you don't want to do this show, tell him, but explain what's on your mind. Will the show go on without him? It will."

Shearer would be reportedly walking away from around $14 million, and Jean has confirmed Shearer's roles (including Mr Burns and Ned Flanders) will be recast.

Yea, I think ol' boy might have snapped. His boss out here saying quit trippin and come get this money. He walking away from $14 mill for a couple hours of work a week tops.

After almost 30 years of doing all them characters he must be waking up in cold sweats hearing "Excellent" and "Hidely ? " or something. Seeing Skinner when he look in the mirror and ? . Some kind of borderland personality disorder cause this make no sense.

Remember that episode when Flanders lost his house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGDkHYe22Q

LOL ned went nuts this episode