Our 'Simpsons' Nostalgia Is Ruining The Show For The Next Generation Of Viewers

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
the-simpsons-is-dead-long-live-the-simpsons-300-body-image-1431619474.jpg

It goes without saying that it's time for The Simpsons to call it a day. To be ushered out the door, a FOX executive waiting with a samurai sword in hand, ready to lop off its head and watch cash pour—fountain-like—from its neck stump, in the form of movie deals and endless extortionate merchandise.

Problem is, we've now been having this conversation once a year for about 15 years. We reminisce on our favorite moments—the dog-faced woman, " One: where's the fife? Two: Give me the fife," Man Getting Hit By Football—then we bemoan its continued life and go back to forgetting it, only engaging when there's a good re-run on FXX.

However, a bigger question must now be asked of this childhood mainstay: How can it continue when the actor who voices half its cast wants to leave?

Harry Shearer—voice of Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders, Reverend Tim Lovejoy, Kent Brockman, Principal Skinner, Dr. Hibbert, and many more—has decided he will not be returning to the series. He tweeted a comment from executive producer James L. Brooks's lawyer stating as much, giving his reason as: "I've wanted what I've always had: the freedom to do other work."

Shearer can be seen as a metaphor for the show. He is 71-years-old, has been voicing all those characters for longer than I imagine he—or anyone—had anticipated, and is getting tired. He wants to do other things, and when you reach that age, the realization that you may not have a great deal of time to do so becomes startlingly apparent.

The Simpsons as a cultural phenomenon meant a great deal to a great many people. It informed and moulded the humor of a generation of kids, teens, and young adults. It provided a platform for exceptional talents like John Swartzwelder and a young Conan O'Brien, among others. It is untouchable in its glory years, the dates of which are subject to great debate. I personally think it started going downhill after the tragic murder of Phil Hartman, voice of Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz, two of the show's more pointedly ludicrous characters. A part of its soul was lost, and it appeared to be irredeemable.

But what if it isn't? Perhaps the real reason so many people don't like it now is because they feel a sense of betrayal. It's not what it's supposed to be. It doesn't conform to the ideal you have in your head. The stories are different. The characters are different. I don't want to see Bart use an iPad. I don't want to hear Homer talking about retweets. I feel sick at the prospect of Moe's Tavern becoming a "hipster" bar. Even the use of the word hipster by any character strikes fear into my heart. But is my war cry for the preservation of the-way-it-was a fair one?

The Simpsons has endured for so long because, clearly, people still like it. Even though the show hit an all-time low in ratings this year, it still gets more viewers than new shows like ABC's Revenge, and CBS' The Good Wife, or NBC's Believe. For every detractor saying the series peaked at "Last Exit to Springfield"—that everything from there on in has been an utter sh*tshow—there is a loyal viewer, watching week-in, week-out. That loyal viewer might be a child, like you were when you loved it. They might enjoy the old episodes, obscure as they may seem now to fresh eyes, but love that their favorite cartoon is saying something relevant to the world they're currently growing up in.

But really, older fans of the show will never rekindle their love for it. It has changed too much. It's too different, like Jack Nicholson after his lobotomy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. To us, Shearer's departure is the biggest nail yet in the coffin of something we all wanted buried long ago, a corpse whose odor makes us delirious as it seeps like a gas leak through the cracks in the wood. But there are others out there, who are still enjoying the show much the same way we did when we were young. I'm as opposed to the Simpsons still being on TV as much as anyone else who grew up in the 90s, but won't somebody please think of the children?

Comments

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with this. The show isnt what is was, but its still watchable. I catch it every now and again and its fine. The biggest issue is that they really are just telling the same stories over and over and jusy remixing them at this point.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    But it's not even bad.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    really? and all this time i thought it was the writing that destroyed the show. the problem with the simpsons is that over time it lost the political humor it had during the mid - late 90's over time it just dwindled away . the show stopped being funny around time the movie dropped. it had its moments but nah. every thing now is all modernized and hipsterish.
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah it fell off. There's only so much you can do when the characters aren't really allowed to grow or change substantially. The only time the Simpsons really stand out in pop culture is when they get someone else to do a couch gag.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love The Simpsons, sometimes I forget it's still on the air. The newer re-runs I've seen on FXX are still funny.

They have attempted to use the background characters more to freshen the show up but it seems nobody is really paying attention.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just age them already it,will open up waaaaay more storylinea and jokes

Wudda been a bangin' idea after the movie. It's been too long for change now. Personally, I'd do a season of them all older and finish it there
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo_Killa! wrote: »
    really? and all this time i thought it was the writing that destroyed the show. the problem with the simpsons is that over time it lost the political humor it had during the mid - late 90's over time it just dwindled away . the show stopped being funny around time the movie dropped. it had its moments but nah. every thing now is all modernized and hipsterish.

The bold is so true. The show should have ended at least ten years ago.
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shoulda ended after the movie.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    I agree with this. The show isnt what is was, but its still watchable. I catch it every now and again and its fine. The biggest issue is that they really are just telling the same stories over and over and jusy remixing them at this point.

Nah they ruined it:

Lisa went from being the voice of reason to a bleeding heart liberal / feminist

Homer went from stupid to ?

Marge centred plots are typically all the same

A lot of funny characters were killed off as actors left the show or passed away

Episodes are now almost entirely centered around guest appearances

•   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should make itchy and scratchy spin-off.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First 10 seasons are better than any else in the history of network television.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only watch once a year for the Treehouse of Horror
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just age them already it,will open up waaaaay more storylinea and jokes

Wudda been a bangin' idea after the movie. It's been too long for change now. Personally, I'd do a season of them all older and finish it there

They basically have tho. They've done a bunch of "grown up" episodes over the years. In the FX Simpsons World app you can pull up an entire curated playlist of just "in the future episodes".
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white715 wrote: »

3-13
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white715 wrote: »

3-13

Nah, Season 2 has some classics
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    havent watched in years
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't think I've really watched it since around when the movie dropped, at least not on pourpuse.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Simpsons was the ? ... Favorite show ever... Rest in peace Phil Hartman... Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure were GOAT characters...

lionel_hutz_by_avatar1997-d64hg4u.jpg