Kansas Councilman Allegedly Calls Teen ‘Black N-gger B-tch’ Over Traffic Mishap

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
kshb_edwardsville_150527c-800x430.jpg

The Kansas Bureau of Investigations has opened an investigation into Edwardsville City Councilman Chuck Stites, who has been accused of shouting racial slurs at a teenage girl during a road rage incident.

Kali Chatmon, 17, told WDAF that she was preparing to take a right turn on May 3 when she noticed a Black Lincoln with its turn signal on. But the Lincoln continued to go straight, causing a near collision.

“He had on his signal like he was going to turn right to where I was, so I proceeded to take my right and we almost collided because he continued to go straight,” Chatmon recalled.

The teen said that she tried to apologize, but the driver of the car insulted her with sexist and racial slurs.

“He was just saying things like go back to Baltimore then he called me a black n****r b*tch,” Chatmon said.

A Bonner Springs police report was eventually turned over to the Kansas Bureau of Investigations, which said it could not comment on ongoing investigations.

Chatmon told KSHB this week that Stites owed her an apology, and that he should step down.

In a statement to KSHB, Stites called the incident a “misunderstanding,” but refused to say whether the charges were true.

“There’s an ongoing investigation,” Stites said. “It’s a misunderstanding. There’s a lot more to this story than is being told, and I think it would probably be inappropriate for me to comment much more until that investigation is complete.”

“I’m okay with somebody voicing their opinion,” he added. “That’s their right, and that doesn’t bother me at all. I have no intention of stepping down.”

Comments