To the Chicago Posters: where to live

Options
Bulletproof Wallets
Bulletproof Wallets Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
Im considering a move to Chicago to work at their Juvenile Detention Center soon. What/Where are the areas that you absolutely NOT live due to violence?
What suburbs are the most affordable when it comes to renting a house?

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I live on the eastside. Come thru.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aite I'll be serious for once...whats ur budget what u looking for?
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Bulletproof Wallets
    Options
    ? , I'm from Detroit I know the rent prices in Chicago don't compare to the Free.99 I been paying for rent. I've searched apts in Chicago and Oak Park and 900-1100 seems to be normal for a 1 bedroom apt.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    ? , I'm from Detroit I know the rent prices in Chicago don't compare to the Free.99 I been paying for rent. I've searched apts in Chicago and Oak Park and 900-1100 seems to be normal for a 1 bedroom apt.

Oak Park d be a nice move if u like the quiet feel, there are mad affordable spots there too, one of the best hs in the state .... Although its somewhat close to Austin, the OPD doesn't play that ? and do a great job of keeping safe
  • Bulletproof Wallets
    Options
    @Elzo69Renaissance thx bruh, def not spending 29 years in Detroit to move next to a bad hood. I been to Oak Park a few times and it was real smooth.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    @Elzo69Renaissance thx bruh, def not spending 29 years in Detroit to move next to a bad hood. I been to Oak Park a few times and it was real smooth.

yea I spends the weekends there....u can see lil white kids riding their bikes in the AM....but there are also mad neighborhoods in the city u can move to ..... Try the South or West Loop specially if u LL be working at the hole on Roosevelt
  • Bulletproof Wallets
    Options
    Not sure what the nickname is but its the County Juvenile Facility @ 1100 S. Hamilton. Is that near the South side or West Loop?
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    Not sure what the nickname is but its the County Juvenile Facility @ 1100 S. Hamilton. Is that near the South side or West Loop?

its near both honestly, its mad black yuppies in the South Loop
  • Bulletproof Wallets
    Options
    I work with Juveniles in Detroit now. Same type of kids home. Carjackers, murders, thieves, their all the same once they locked up.
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you want to stay close to the city, I would say Evanston or Lincolnwood (Northern Burbs)
  • Bulletproof Wallets
    Options
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    If you want to stay close to the city, I would say Evanston or Lincolnwood (Northern Burbs)

? but that's nowhere near the homes
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah that would be quite the commute, I found out where that place is, I know someone that live near the United Center, they say the area is getting better. *shrugs*
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

too much driving time into the city. I-94/I-90 is a ? to drive on during peak hours.

like mentioned already, West Loop or South Loop, especially if you're single or don't have kids or go out a lot.

Lincoln Park is nice but might be kinda pricey.

Wicker Park if you don't mind smelly hippies.

If you're a ? , then Addison & Halsted is your best bet.

Up by Loyola around Devon St & Sheridan isn't too bad if you don't mind college students everwhere.

Hyde Park is safe too. Security everywhere and two sets of police patrolling constantly. Most of the time you literally can't even bat your eye without seeing cops somewhere in your field of vision. Also has a good mix of blacks and non-blacks, college students from U of C, and other professionals around.

Basically, IMO, if you stay anywhere north of about 61st street and east of Pulaski or even Western Ave, you'll live somewhere relatively safe and easily accessible to entertainment (if that's a big motivational factor for moving).

• BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As far as where you should stay, it really depends on what you can afford.
    As far as where you shouldn't stay, just don't go too far south or west and you'll be fine.

The media really blows Chicago's crime out of proportion, concentrating on what happens in those two areas, exaggerating it, and applying it to the entire city, which perpetuates massive falsehoods. Chicago is an Alpha Level World Class City, and a wondrous place to live; The media is to blame for the Chi's "bad reputation.."

Do make the move tho. You'll love it here. Trust.
  • Bulletproof Wallets
    Options
    @ sully, great info.
    - no kids
    - not a ?
    Really just looking for an area that won't require me to carry a glock at all times like I do here in the D.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Options

Yeah that would be quite the commute, I found out where that place is, I know someone that live near the United Center, they say the area is getting better. *shrugs*

it actually is...gentrification and new development my guy
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lots of good places to live in the inner city.
    west loop/south loop, pilsen
    most of north side is decent the farther u get away from downtown the cheaper obviously

i stayed in logan square for a few years n probably go back. u can find cheap, good apts and ur not too far from anywhere important.

but traffic is ? so the closer to work u live the better trust me
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    #HARVEYWORLD

I Know All The Good Grub Spots
  • bigstevie
    bigstevie Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Options
    Northside is fun as hell. ..always a place to party and a lot of transportation...Pilsen is good and keeps improving....Also a fan of Bridgeport if u don't mind living near cops and white ppl
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    #HARVEYWORLD

I Know All The Good Grub Spots

He said he wanted to live.....

For where you would be working best bet is to live near an L stop and close to Downtown. Everything turns into a 30, 45 minute train ride. Downtown and near downtown neighborhoods have become pricey. But like I always say I rather pay for peace and quiet over affordable. The areas I would say would be best for you would be

Wicker Park, Bucktown, North Center, Lakeview, Ukrainian Village/East Village, South Loop, University Village, Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Uptown, Goose Island, Wrigleyville, Old Town, if you can afford it Lincoln Park, or DePaul.

You can get around these neighborhoods even with out a car and have everything accessible that you need.

@Twizza 77, I live in North Park right under Lincolnwood, it's not a bad commute since the Brown Line ends up here. But for him he would have to switch off so it would be a small journey.
  • Sir Lurkalot
    Sir Lurkalot Members Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oakpark... reasonable, diversified, not far from loop, good eats