WOULD RANDY BE THE NEXT MARLO? (STOLEN)

Options
jamiefoxxhairline
jamiefoxxhairline Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭✭
Randy was an innocent, empathetic kid who got swallowed up by the system. In Season 4, once it got around that he was a snitch, violence and despair started to surround him 24/7. In his last scene of Season 4, he gets beat up by some group home kids, after he throws a brave punch. In Season 5 he turned into a hardened teenager with no remorse for anyone. When Bunk tries to interrogate him about Lex's murder, unlike his cooperating nature in Season 4, this time, he sternly is unwilling to even come to terms with the cop. He gives Bunk a look of hate the entire time.

The same exact look Marlo gave Herc when they first met. That scene when Marlo and his goons looked like they were about to beat down him and Carver. Enter Marlo, a sociopathic drug kingpin in his late 20s. Obsessed with the reputation of his name. Because he knows how destructive a tainted reputation can be in the hood. After all, look what happened to Randy, when word got out that he was a snitch. Maybe he learned from that...and made sure the infrastructure of his name was always solid from now on. But to come up from being a former snitch...being beat up by group home kids daily..you probably would have to do something over the top just to get nikkas to respect you again. Something drastic. Possibly evil, cold hearted and/or ruthless. Which explains Marlo's character.

officer Walker took $200 from Randy. Marlo takes herc's $4000 camera.

Randy was the only one who was semi interested in Dukie's misadventures with the pigeons when everyone else was clowning Dukie (season 4 episode 1). Marlo owns a pigeon coup.

Marlo's character strongly suggests he grew up an orphan or group home. Randy was in a group home.

Randy always low key had heart. Unlike Namond who was a complete bytch. When Namond was about to go to baby booking for ONE night, he begged Carver to let him just sleep in the police station instead. Randy was about to get sent to a violent group home for 4 years, but did not once beg carver to help him out of the situation. He took it like a man, pat carver on the back, and told him "you tried".

That little bit of heart Randy showed, not only made Carver feel terrible, but was a early sneak peek of Randy taking his destiny like a man, instead of trying to coward his way out like Namond did.

Which eventually was what toughened Randy up. Maybe a little too much.

Comments

• 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah. He had the hustle, but the Game wasn't in him

tumblr_m2kqpi9qno1rpt7sfo1_250.gif
  • jamiefoxxhairline
    jamiefoxxhairline Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We know Dukie is next bubbles

Michael is omar

Idk who Namond would be
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Young Naymond would have jokes like Wee-Bey, but he wasn't built like Wee-Bey, his O.G. crushed his spirits. Naymond would probably be like Bunny Colvin, an Officer, on some Lt. Daniels ? , or a Social Worker
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    9TRAY wrote: »
    Young Naymond would have jokes like Wee-Bey, but he wasn't built like Wee-Bey, his O.G. crushed his spirits. Naymond would probably be like Bunny Colvin, an Officer, on some Lt. Daniels ? , or a Social Worker

Naymond could be clay davis
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Some people it was obvious the paths were going into...dukie/bubbles, michael/omar

Randy i think was his own person but had a lil bit of prop joe in him.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Randy might grow up to be Bodie. Randy was getting those snacks wholesale and selling them like a drug dealer would. Both he and Bodie lost their parents and on a episode Bodie's grandmother said he was an angry kid like Randy has become.

I get that soldier vibe from Randy instead of a boss
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aside from him being Cheese's illegitimate, I think the Marlo thing is possibly true. Bodie was pure rage early on and about head busting. Randy was a boss through and through with sway in his own crew that I recall. That change up at the group home I never took into consideration. You look at those Wire shorts featuring Prop Joe early on and it's clear he always negotiated.

I think that he is a prime candidate for Marlo status because if I recall the HBO background on Marlo there's allusions to him being an illegitimate of Avon's pop's. So we got two kids born on opposite sides of town where there respective fathers run ? learning life isn't sweet but with boss mentalities. Literally they're two sides of the same coin.
  • Sage Wonder
    Sage Wonder Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Naymond, Clay Davis... "i'll take anyone's money if they giving it".. both said this, both have shown a lot of alterior motives in the show, and his speech at the podium made it appear naymond was going the political route.

I always said Randy would be the next Marlo because of his obsession with his reputation. His last scene showed irrational behavior and aggression especially when he shoved the kid that merely looked at him. This is reflective of Marlo's personality and desire to be feared above all else.

Edit: I'm just going to leave this here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0K-tfJLiFE
  • matt2
    matt2 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    idk, they are no indications that Randy can either inspire loyalty in people or strike fear in them. 2 things Marlo succeeded at. Maybe randy would have turned into that, but there is really nothing in the show that would make you think he could go from being who he was (before and during foster home) to what Marlo came to be. And since Cheese was his daddy, man nah.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we don't have enough information about marlo to speak on it
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think a stronger case could made for Randy & Stringer than Randy & Avon due to Randy's business/salesman aspirations. No one's saying he would've been been some kind of mastermind, but hell, as it turns out in the end neither was String.

Lil bad ass Kenard on the other hand would mos definitely fall right in line behind Marlo.

Falling in line within the theme of the show, I would say Kenard could grow into being worse than Marlo with even less of a conscience similar to how Marlo compared to Avon.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    Aside from him being Cheese's illegitimate, I think the Marlo thing is possibly true. Bodie was pure rage early on and about head busting. Randy was a boss through and through with sway in his own crew that I recall. That change up at the group home I never took into consideration. You look at those Wire shorts featuring Prop Joe early on and it's clear he always negotiated.

I think that he is a prime candidate for Marlo status because if I recall the HBO background on Marlo there's allusions to him being an illegitimate of Avon's pop's. So we got two kids born on opposite sides of town where there respective fathers run ? learning life isn't sweet but with boss mentalities. Literally they're two sides of the same coin.

I didn't know that

That's one of the few problems with The Wire. A few little golden nuggets like that were off to the side, and fans literally had to stumble upon them. Marlo's appearance and Anti-Barksdale irrationality makes so much more sense if he's a Barksdale side piece's kid. Marlo's had to sit in the cut watching Big Bro Avon run the city without so much as a phone call or a corner.

Marlo's rise makes sense as it stands, but it's still a generic "this is the cycle of drug kingpins" tale at the end of the day. Making it personal with a shot of a man and woman in a picture in a few frames at one of Avon's hold ups and then we see that same man with a different woman in one of Marlo's house/apartment/wallet is all it would've taken to establish the connection. Wouldn't even need a whole episode of "? ! I hate big bro so much! GRR!" melodramatic nonsense.

Simon had some hood-level Game of Thrones ? he could've used, but instead he left it on a liner note half-ass mentioned years ago. At least they went on and stated Randy was Cheese's kid.
  • matt2
    matt2 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

I didn't know that

That's one of the few problems with The Wire. A few little golden nuggets like that were off to the side, and fans literally had to stumble upon them. Marlo's appearance and Anti-Barksdale irrationality makes so much more sense if he's a Barksdale side piece's kid. Marlo's had to sit in the cut watching Big Bro Avon run the city without so much as a phone call or a corner.

Marlo's rise makes sense as it stands, but it's still a generic "this is the cycle of drug kingpins" tale at the end of the day. Making it personal with a shot of a man and woman in a picture in a few frames at one of Avon's hold ups and then we see that same man with a different woman in one of Marlo's house/apartment/wallet is all it would've taken to establish the connection. Wouldn't even need a whole episode of "? ! I hate big bro so much! GRR!" melodramatic nonsense.

Simon had some hood-level Game of Thrones ? he could've used, but instead he left it on a liner note half-ass mentioned years ago. At least they went on and stated Randy was Cheese's kid.

You got a link that I can see? Nh
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I forgot how much I love this show. HBOGo ftmfw
  • yahwehprofet
    yahwehprofet Members Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Watching season 2 currently....
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why would you put yourself through watching that again?
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naymond would been Omars lover that snitched to Mouzone right away.

Randy was in the last season to show thats what the system does. It was most def a statement.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Randy was one of my top 5 characters on the show.
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Randy was a snitch tho so I dunno
  • yahwehprofet
    yahwehprofet Members Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why would you put yourself through watching that again?

To get to three
    Lol
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Season 2 is underrated. If you don't think it's good it's because you don't get it.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is there not to get? Season 2 was just boring and it definitely didn't help having characters you like in season 1 sharing screen time with some polish ? boys. Thank ? when one of those ? attempted to show up in another season he got arrested.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea I see Kenard as the new Marlo. Foo was checkin the older kids on the block, jacked Naymonds package and murked Omar. He would of been a loudmouth version of Marlo, only more ruthless. Kinda like Lil Ze from City of ? .