"Blessed and Highly Favored" is the most annoying and insulting concept Black Christians adhere to

Options
Knives Amilli
Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
Its an attempt to monetize religion. A idea that is literally 1 step away from the "? WILL make you rich!" idea that crooks like Creflo Dollar preach. Its the equivalent of those "Spoiled Princess" keychains that teenage girls buy.

What makes it insulting is that it presumes that IF you are not receiving gods blessing, you just arent being a good enough Christian. Yea, guess those poor starving children in Ethopia just arent praying hard enough!

I can't count enough times the first comment out of a Black Christians mouth when you're going through a hard time is: "Have you prayed it up?" on some fanciful assumption that just a good meaningful hard prayer (how the ? do you even MEASURE that?) and it will all go away.

I'm an Athiest. I've got more than my share of problems with religion. I however would have far more respect for it if Christians abandoned the more anthropomorphic concepts of Yahweh as some sky daddy who will spoil you if you're good, which sets up the logical conclusion that lifes challenges are a result Yahwehs apathy or ill will. It effectively justifies all of the misfortunes that have and ever will occur (i've heard many a black christian say Slavery was either a punishment for African Paganism or the "road" that led us to Christianity) and takes away any agency we have to correct these misfortunes.

Comments

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    What the ? is this guy talking about?
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I agree that the phrase "highly favored" is dumb as ? , not necessarily for the reasons you said but dumb regardless
  • MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm an ? , a smart one at that. Not saying that all of them are not successful but people go to church every week and still struggle. I'm spiritual and use common sense but it keeps like religion are keeping some people held back.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Never heard that phrase lol
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree completely. Hoes on my fb timeline stay talking about how blessed they are, until they dont get something they want. It just feels wrong but to each his own.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I could think of 10 Christian concepts that are more ? than this off the top of my head:

Immaculate conception
    Tithing
    Noah's ark
    Adam's sin
    The trinity
    Faith
    Salvation
    Slavery
    Genocidal warfare
    The tower of Babel

Noah's ark actually makes sense if you carry a certain theory...
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I could think of 10 Christian concepts that are more ? than this off the top of my head:

Immaculate conception
    Tithing
    Noah's ark
    Adam's sin
    The trinity
    Faith
    Salvation
    Slavery
    Genocidal warfare
    The tower of Babel

Only if it was an middle eastern flooding or a Nile valley flooding anything else is ridiculous.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Immaculate conception
    Tithing
    Noah's ark
    Adam's sin
    The trinity
    Faith
    Salvation
    Slavery
    Genocidal warfare
    The tower of Babel

Your entire list makes sense do you want me to explain them to you.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also if you serve ? for money you serve the devils. The whole prosperity gospel ? is unique to American Christianity. It's a cultural over emphasis on ? 's physical blessings.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yeah I never understood the "settle for ? in this world for a mansion in heaven" philosophy of American christianity. As if you could earn more heavenly swag the more christianlike you lived your life on earth

My pops and stepmoms used to always talk about that and in my head even as a young in I'd be like"what the ? do you care about a mansion in heaven. YOURE ALREADY IN HEAVEN!!!

I assume ? like covetousness and jealousy wouldn't exist in heaven, so it shouldn't matter
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

Immaculate conception
    Tithing
    Noah's ark
    Adam's sin
    The trinity
    Faith
    Salvation
    Slavery
    Genocidal warfare
    The tower of Babel

Only if it was an middle eastern flooding or a Nile valley flooding anything else is ridiculous.

that's what I mean... to them that was "the world" western civilization was not even known at that point... so who is to say that he did not do what the Bible say happened. .
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't stand the term 'blessed'
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im going to bring up all concerns raised in this thread at the next Black Christian meeting...swear to ?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options

Immaculate conception
    Tithing
    Noah's ark
    Adam's sin
    The trinity
    Faith

Salvation
    Slavery
    Genocidal warfare

The tower of Babel

Conceptually, at least half of those predate Christianity
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sound just like the white people who accuse the entire religion of Islam because radicals brought down the twin towers.

The thing is, you never studied the word. You only got your information from corrupted people who don't follow after ? . How does one say that you have to live a better life with ? if you don't have material blessings when the pursuit of righteousness has nothing to do with gaining worldly material?

Worldly people equate blessings with worldly riches for they don't understand nothing else. How can you understand when you walk in darkness without light to gain revelation and understanding?

Study the word yourself instead of going by the sayings of man. You know how to avoid a hustle in the street but take the word of hustler in a suit. What sense does that make? If the truth is within you, you know when a deceiver is spinning tales to you.