Military Lifestyle (Question For Those In The Service Or Retired)

Options
TayGettem
TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey y'all I'm thinking of going into the service
Thinking of joining the Marines
Hopefully get into the special forces
I'm 23 kind of in shape
-can do 3mile runs without stopping
-but upper body strength is a weakmess can only bench 160
Anyway I was wondering if any of u former soldiers can tell me what to expect when joining
What's some do's and don'ts
What type of mindset I'll need to survive
Whats the training regiment like
I've heard it's difficult but I've never been the type to give up
I cant lie im kind of a goofball like being the funny guy in the room ya know so I figure my personality might clash alittle with the serious of the service
Also what are some benefits of military life or after the service
I heard if u dedicated a certain number of years to the military ull get a check for life when u retire
Also I stay on the Alabama/Ga state line so which place is better for recruitment and where will I likely be stationed

Comments

• TayGettem
    Options
    I appreciate that info but if I'm looking to get into some action
    What branch should I join
    I'm not trying to be like jarhead learning all that stuff and not getting to use it in real battle
    Im not blood thirsty or nun like that
    Im just a adrenaline junking part of the reason I want to join is to go to combat one day
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    if you're joining the marines, i don't know how they go about selecting your military job but recon would be the way to go, and if you join the army you can get a ranger school slot in your initial contract
  • CP203
    Options
    TayGettem wrote: »
    I appreciate that info but if I'm looking to get into some action
    What branch should I join
    I'm not trying to be like jarhead learning all that stuff and not getting to use it in real battle
    Im not blood thirsty or nun like that
    Im just a adrenaline junking part of the reason I want to join is to go to combat one day

damn you sound like me, my whole point of joining was to see combat, told my recruiter after i took the asvab just show me the combat mos available
  • TayGettem
    Options
    CP203 wrote: »
    if you're joining the marines, i don't know how they go about selecting your military job but recon would be the way to go, and if you join the army you can get a ranger school slot in your initial contract

Ain't ranger school where they train snipers
  • CP203
    Options

you can go to sniper school without going to ranger school, but the two schools are on the same base fort benning,GA
  • TayGettem
    Options

you can go to sniper school without going to ranger school, but the two schools are on the same base fort benning,GA

Ok koo I've been to benning before when I was in NJROTC hopefully I'll get stationed there
  • CP203
    Options

Ok koo I've been to benning before when I was in NJROTC hopefully I'll get stationed there

i think only marine tankers get stationed at benning
  • TayGettem
    Options
    Well damm guess I'm Marines then I always wondered why they had NJROTC in our school instead of ROTC turns out they was preparing us for the Marines since Benning was the closest base to us
  • CP203
    Options
    @wuwop where were you at in the single mothers fathers day thread, ? you my only ally on that subject matter
  • TayGettem
    Options
    Wuwop wrote: »
    you got more potential than signing your life over to pasty n nem

That sounds like some my mom would say
    She swears up and down if I join I'll get killed in combat smh
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Try to get in the Seals... A lot easier said than done though. There's a level of commitment that's damn near otherworldly. I got to do some training with them while I was in the AF... Smh... Dudes are no joke.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @wuwop where were you at in the single mothers fathers day thread, ? you my only ally on that subject matter

I'm trying to read up on it lol it's a lot of feelings to sift through

@TayGettem

idk about that getting killed in combat ? , I know people die in the military but I don't know anybody personally that died, everybody I know that went in are doing good for the most part but you don't have to join the military to do that
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Look, i banged for realall through high school...I still joke about it and ? with some of them ? on a limited level, but the way these new ? tried to make it mainstream is dumb as ? . I understand and see these "misconceptions" a lot of them is born out of fear and confusion of a pointless lifestyle. They don't understand it because they don't live it. Once you step out of it and be on the outside lookin in tho, you can see why they think that way. ? is dumb. No other way to put it.

Threadstarter, i hope you young. If you over the age of 22 and still going hard you a losertype ? . I can't sugarcoat it. The world is bigger than that 4 square blocks you live on and think you wanna die for. I done lived in several different states been to different countries. Came back 6 years later, lost 3 homies to it, the 4 still alivedoin the same exact ? they was doin when i left. People all over the world dyin over REAL ? . And we here killing ? because he from the other side of the street. That ? petty my ? . Stop trying to promote it.

@Inglewood_B
    I'm 23 got a job making 80k a year and 2 kids
    I made it out once again THIS THREAD WAS NOT ABOUT BRAGGING OR BIG UP GANGS I'm just giving the ones on the outside looking in a look through a ? eyes whose been in it the way we think
    Theres a difference I know its stupid but to a certain extent bangin SAVED MY LIFE and more than a few times
    But as usual everybody in this thread assumed I'm trying to justify banging I'm just given y'all a different point of view
    I just hate how folks who dk what we go through in the streets critize us yet I don't see them extending hands to help us out this streets do u?

xJ99GNz.png

On some real ? tho, the military is a good way to take yourself out your element and see other parts of the world. And much as I hate to becliche it does instill some form of discipline and ambition you might not had before. I don't recommend it as a career, especially if what you said was true about your situation already. (You'd be taking a big step back) but as far as a life experience, doing it a few years then getting out is cool.
  • TayGettem
    Options
    Didn't you say you was makin like $80k a year or some other ridiculous ? like that? Why the ? would you wanna join the military wit to lyin ass? Lmao

Money i isn't something I covent
    I'm doing military cause I want to be able to say I did
    I'm still young this is the time to fulfill anything I feel like doing
  • CP203
    Options
    Can't front the military besides deployment is the easiest ? in the world, right place,right time,right uniform and follow some ? orders and you're good
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hey y'all I'm thinking of going into the service
    Thinking of joining the Marines
    Hopefully get into the special forces

You want in on special operations in the Marine Corps? The MARSOC/Recon/Raiders pipeline is no cakewalk--take a look at the attrition rate, but that is why you should try to survive it, if you're serious and the OP isn't just talk.

It's never too late, either. Ajay James got through Bud/s (part of Navy SEAL pipeline) at 34 and had to learn how to swim beforehand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjsWwRHPIBo
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Take up sports or something. Use the 80k job to go on your own vacations. Party when YOU want, where you want. I find it hard to believe you can't satisfy that without becoming another GI for them to throw away. Come to think of it, the only rush they offer you can't get any where else is killing.... you might have other issues.

It's your life, though. I suggest you personally talk to vets, real survivors. Hear they stories and hopefully learn the gravity of this decision. Don't just be on some YOLO ? when the consequences can literally be an arm, leg, or worst.

Been in and out the VA taking care of my dad and uncles for years. It's foolish to let anyone sell you a dream about it.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh if you have a degree. Become an officer. If not follow what CP203 is saying. Combat is about to kick up so you joining at the right time. You will be using your training. If you get the action you want. You may get killed but that is why they have young cats do that ? . The older you get, the less likely you will be out there getting shot at.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The service aint for everybody bruh

You have to relalize them contracts is you basically you signing you right away to the service. And you have to listen to alot of weak ? boys sometimes.

UCMJ laws are archaic as ? but still apply.

But Im glad i did them 8 years though, opened alot of doors

• TayGettem
    Options
    The service aint for everybody bruh

You have to relalize them contracts is you basically you signing you right away to the service. And you have to listen to alot of weak ? boys sometimes.

UCMJ laws are archaic as ? but still apply.

But Im glad i did them 8 years though, opened alot of doors

That's another reason I'm going my cuzin in the service
    An they paying for her college, paying her and she got a house some how
    My other homie been in the service for some yrs got 5 cars and 2 motorcycles and a house
    I'm really in it for the material gains and doors it can open