Henry Louis Gates suspended for covering up for Ben Affleck about his ancestors owning slaves.

Options
black caesar
black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
Henry Louis Gates' show suspended over Ben Afflec…: http://youtu.be/zQeM_ZDanEk

PBS had no clue. Remember this is the same guy that got arrested for breaking into his own house and later took the racist cop to the White House. SMH

Comments

• So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ain't this the same ? that got racially profiled by police at his home or am I thinking about someone else?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont believe all this ancestral research nonsense anyway. That said, this is a really bad look for both parties. Gates and Affleck both look like ? in behind this, I dont see why Gates allowed himself to be taken down protecting somebody unnecessarily.
  • black caesar
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    Ain't this the same ? that got racially profiled by police at his home or am I thinking about someone else?

Yep it's him.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yep it's him.

Ok. You would think he wouldn't put on his cape to save a white person like that after a wake-up call. I guess its true when they say bootlicking Uncle Toms never learn smh.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Youre missing part of the story. after this, he went to the white house with that very same racist to sit down with obama lmao.

this guy is becoming more and more of a joke by the day
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I enjoyed his anthologies on african american literature... good ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the ? ? Why would Ben Affleck need to cover up for his ancestors owning slaves?
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the ? ? Why would Ben Affleck need to cover up for his ancestors owning slaves?

Because we live in a society where mfs will hold you accountable for what your great great great great great great uncle's cousin's neighbor did. Ben don't want that type of pub.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    I enjoyed his anthologies on african american literature... good ? .

And his history books. Bruh is a tireless academic. I respect him for that but this is a cornball move on his part.

I am given pause to wonder...if true, how much of the decision to hide that info was made by him.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    ? that's crazy SMMFH

I don't think his intentions were meant to be bad nor do I think he's a ? . I think it was done to prevent a negative light to his show and prevent guests from coming on to his show. I don't think he wanted to cast a negative light on Ben Affleck they were probably both in shock at the results. He should have just not aired it plain and simple SMMFH.

He might lose his show for this and people are going to call him a "? ".

Negative light by showing that some white people descended from slave owners? lol What kinda idiot would even have a show like his in this country and not know that would happen one day?
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol

They dont have to tell me that

I suspect every white person I meet to have ancestors who owned slaves

? I bet John Brown had a uncle who had slaves
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that ? . Ive always hated skipp gates punk ass since 2013
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »
    ? him. My college professor hated his guts too

how come? im interested in knowing how much more of an uncle tom he is.

@Abraxas

So Ive had to study a bit of his work in college. Firstly, he comes off as a know it all. Like that one relative you have that won't shut the ? about how they know this and that and have been everywhere. One of those "well, actually" ass ? . VERY supercilious.

Secondly, he made the typical ignorant person comment. "well, blacks sold blacks into slavery too, so why should blacks get reparations?" To defend that, he said we as black people were raised in a world where the status quo was "evil white people and good black people. The world just isn't like that."

Huh?

What he said is true to an extent but ignorant people fail to see the implications and the effect the slave trade had on us as a people.

The ? Pentagon just declassified documents stating how they tested mustard gas on Blacks, Puerto Ricans and Asians during WWII. 80 years after slavery ended. The Tuskegee Experiments ended in 1972. 107 years after slavery ended. Cops are being filmed openly targeting and killing blacks in 2015 and not being reprimanded. 150 years after slavery ended. Even after slavery ended legally, the government still treats us as if we were sub human. And as a 'black leader', he had the audacity to say some dumb ? like that on a national level, which is inexcusable.

Lastly, in his videos he's so hubristic he overly exaggerates black knowledge to the point where it makes us look like a joke. Subliminally his videos make you not want to take us as a people and culture seriously. Its like he's a parody of a blactivist.

oh yeah, after he got arrested and he had that beer at the White House with Obama he "claimed on The Oprah Winfrey Show that he, Sgt. James Crowley, the arresting officer in the Cambridge incident, and Jonathan Johnson (Deputy Comptroller) all share a common ancestor, an ancient Irish king, Niall of the Nine Hostages."

Like ? , why? Does that spread unity or is that a subtle nod to white superiority? Playing devils advocate here.

And that's why Kevin Gates>Skip Gates.
  • black caesar
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    ? that's crazy SMMFH

I don't think his intentions were meant to be bad nor do I think he's a ? . I think it was done to prevent a negative light to his show and prevent guests from coming on to his show. I don't think he wanted to cast a negative light on Ben Affleck they were probably both in shock at the results. He should have just not aired it plain and simple SMMFH.

He might lose his show for this and people are going to call him a "? ".

@Sion He is a ? . Don't forget about the racist cop he treated him on a trip to the white house.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is trash. If you want a real black historian read Dr. John Henrik Clarke
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The slavery connection probably wasn't a real surprise to Ben Affleck. Back when he broke off his engagement with J-Lo, I read several articles about how his family pressured him because they wouldn't accept her. I am guessing they wanted to keep the bloodlines clear.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk why people are acting surprised alot of white peoples ancestors owned slaves
    So why act like Ben is guilty of something his ancestors did
    Oooohhh I just found out this famous WHITE actors great grandfather owned slaves let's bother him for something his ancestors did lol gtfoh
    He was dating j-lo ain't his fault his family is some ? can't pick who ur born to remember
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »
    ? him. My college professor hated his guts too

how come? im interested in knowing how much more of an uncle tom he is.

He's written plenty of articles dissing black people r6wivs.jpg
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Ya'll remember that topic when he got arrested. ? was acting like he was Black Jesus. Now ya'll acting like he's excrement shaped in ? form. lol