This robotic bricklayer can build a house in two days

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/this-robotic-bricklayer-can-build-a-house-in-two-days/ar-AAc8HiE

For all the modern tools and heavy machinery found on construction sites these days, one aspect has remained a decidedly manual labor: bricklaying. Just as they did 6000 years ago when masonry was first developed, today's bricklayers still perform their backbreaking work almost exclusively by hand. But thanks to Australian engineer, Mark Pivac, that could soon change. Pivac has developed what he claims is the world's first fully automated bricklaying robot, dubbed Hadrian (yes, like the wall).

"We're at a technological nexus where a few different technologies have got to the level where it's now possible to do it," Pivac told PerthNow. "And that's what we've done." The system will first determine the location of every brick to be laid based on a 3D CAD design, then individually cuts and lays the bricks in sequence. Hadrian doesn't even need to move during the laying process as its 28-foot long boom manipulator is dextrous enough to both set the brick and slather on mortar as well. It even leaves space for pipes and wiring.

The machine is reportedly capable of setting 1000 bricks an hour -- roughly a home's exterior frame every two days or about 150 homes a year -- 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Pivac hopes to further develop and then market Hadrian in Western Australia before expanding to the entire country and then the rest of the world.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Welp, I feel bad for brick masons. Its cool and all but unemployment increasing is eminent.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think a master craftsman has much to fear. The machine can turn out the building in cookie cutter fashion. Everybody doesn't like that. Sometimes the tiny imperfections that comes with handmade makes things stand out.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    Cool story, but they need to destroy that ? before it starts putting more ? out of work.

Same as 3D printers in many cases.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Send it to Haiti and build small joints faster
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Part of me be like its crazy we still doin things the same way we did them in 1880 or whenever. Im doin my roof. Which means being Up there in the sun tearing everything off by hand laying shingles hammering them (you can get a nail gun but hammering aint even the hard part) in 2015. I space out the work and stuff but still.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No time-lapse video? Boooooo!
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is why I say you need to build your own business. A lot of bricklayers are about to lose their job
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Man one glitch and the house will fall on ur head like the 3lil pigs.

it's like that when people build the house too. also, people are more likely to glitch.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn that's ? up

If I built houses for a living I'd sabotage every machine I saw
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Automation is going to put a lot of blacks out of work.
  • MECCA1000
    Options
    Saw a house go up in a week .... it was icf (insulated concrete form ) and a cement truck just poured the concrete in. ... four days later and the metal roof went on while the inside got wired, pipes, and paint .... less than a dozen people working on it .....

That's the type of house build I want ..... concrete >>>>>>> wood frame
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »

it's like that when people build the house too. also, people are more likely to glitch.

Brick laying don't work like that tho
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »

I'll take my chances with bricklayers who been doin it for years
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Technology is about to make a lot of jobs obsolete. That's exactly why I went into the tech field.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options
    MECCA1000 wrote: »
    Saw a house go up in a week .... it was icf (insulated concrete form ) and a cement truck just poured the concrete in. ... four days later and the metal roof went on while the inside got wired, pipes, and paint .... less than a dozen people working on it .....

Man hell nah lmao, unless u in Florida or hurricane areas that's a bad idea. Heat can't escape a house like that, paying an arm and a leg for the AC and I'm assuming it had a h block and concrete foundation. That ? ? they have to tear the whole thing down I would guess.

My choice...connex containers. Seen some unfuckwitable houses built from those. And it's cheaper than new construction by at least 60%. They run 5k a container
  • MECCA1000
    Options

Man hell nah lmao, unless u in Florida or hurricane areas that's a bad idea. Heat can't escape a house like that, paying an arm and a leg for the AC and I'm assuming it had a h block and concrete foundation. That ? ? they have to tear the whole thing down I would guess.

My choice...connex containers. Seen some unfuckwitable houses built from those. And it's cheaper than new construction by at least 60%. They run 5k a container

I'm guessing the key word ...... "insulation " ..... look the process up

Container house? Might as well get a trailer .... wouldn't a trailer be bigger ... I'm guessing
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    Options

I'm guessing the key word ...... "insulation " ..... look the process up

Container house? Might as well get a trailer .... wouldn't a trailer be bigger ... I'm guessing

That ? didn't even register lmao. Nah, the connex box houses I've Seen have been some of the most luxurious ? ever. I am really thinking about building one one day.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Send it to Haiti and build small joints faster

they wont because its not profit to be made like they want.
    babelipsss wrote: »
    I don't think a master craftsman has much to fear. The machine can turn out the building in cookie cutter fashion. Everybody doesn't like that. Sometimes the tiny imperfections that comes with handmade makes things stand out.

you can make changes thru autocad.
    these can be made to order....

this is only an example of it repeating a program
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

...these houses in swiss are all concrete....solid fukking conrete.
    while its solid....there are alot of cons to