Amy Schumer Reveals Why She Turned Down 'Daily Show' Offer

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
amy_schumer.jpg

When Jon Stewart announced he was leaving The Daily Show, Amy Schumer was one of the names floated as a potential replacement for the Comedy Central show.

Schumer already had a strong relationship with Comedy Central, which also airs her Inside Amy Schumer series.

Now, Schumer tells The Daily Beast that she was offered the Daily Show hosting job but turned it down.

“I was so honored to be asked and considered," Schumer said of the offer. "With Comedy Central, I project so much ‘You’re my parents!’ on the network and the people that run it, so them saying, ‘We believe in you and trust that you can do this,’ I thought, ‘Oh my ? , thank you!’”

But when she mulled it over, it didn't feel like the right fit.

“And then I thought, ‘Well, I could give everyone I love a job and we could all be together for five years.' But picturing being in a building and knowing what I was going to do for five years — I love not knowing," Schumer said. "And I’ve never done anything safe or to make money for that reason. So, you know, I said, ‘I can’t start now.’”

When Trevor Noah was named as Stewart's replacement, The Hollywood Reporter addressed the Schumer rumors, noting that her burgeoning film career — Trainwreck, which she wrote and stars in, hits theaters on July 17 — seemed to put a swift end to the possibility of her succeeding Stewart.

Schumer also joked about the lack of female late-night hosts during THR's comedy actresses roundtable, joking that the dearth of women on TV at that time is "because we get our periods at night."

The New York Times reported last weekend that both Amy Poehler and Chris Rock had been approached to replace Stewart. Poehler gave them "the quickest no in history," The Times reported, while Rock didn't want to host the show after the 2016 election.

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lol @ Rock and Poehler giving them the stiff arm. Their careers are too big to get stuck doing the Daily Show for 5 years
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The should have ended the Daily Show, and put something new on. They're's very few comedians who could go hard enough for that role while still being mainstream.

Maybe it deserves to be a movie
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meester wrote: »
    The should have ended the Daily Show, and put something new on. They're's very few comedians who could go hard enough for that role while still being mainstream.

Maybe it deserves to be a movie

that doesn't make ANY sense....you mean the search for a new host? cause there's no way you could make the daily show in a movie form
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only 2 legit replacement hosts for this show and HBO got em both
  • Mseries_
    Mseries_ Members Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

True John Oliver would have been the perfect fit.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • A$AP_A$TON
    Options
    Rock bout to get divorced, he might reconsider
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never seen one funny woman comedian. All of them are dumpster juice. And I mean the concentrated juice that's in the corner of the dumpster.
  • Inglewood_B
    Options
    she's an unfunny bigot...

She not really racist she just a hack. Cosign on unfunny tho
  • Inglewood_B
    Options
    Edit: I should say... She's no more racist than the average CAC.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oliver and who?
  • marc123
    Options
    BTW this broad has to be sleeping with the ceo of Comedy Central or something. Cuz i dont get the hype.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So I'm the only one who finds her funny? She's the first female comedian since Kathy Griffin that actually made me laugh.

A lot of people are overly sensitive about comedy. They think that if a comedian makes a joke about a stereotype, the joke is about whatever race or gender or nationality the stereotype applies to when really they're just pointing out the ridiculousness of the stereotype. And don't let it be a white or non-black comedian.. Nowadays they'll get called all types of racists and bigots.

But question: Do you call Eddie Griffin ol unfunny ass a bigot? How about Dave Chappell or Chris Rock? And those are two of the best to ever do it.

That's probably why people get so uncomfortable at Roasts. They don't get what comedy is about. Like a joke about a loud person in a movie theater that turns out to not be black isn't a joke about black people, it's a joke about the stereotype .
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She's not funny at all to me but I have some weird fixation with imaging sex with her.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    She's just another shock comic who doesn't really understand the artform and just uses the platform to defend her own biases. Kathy Griffin is the same way which is why I get if you were ok with that piece of work you'd dig this girl's act. Eddie Griffin and Mike Epps are the same way as well so it's not even about race so much as it is about being a hack.

Judging by her reactions to being critiqued (shouldn't she be more thick skinned?) you know damn well that if somebody made an anti semitic joke or overtly misogynistic joke and went "hey it's just comedy" she would be in her feelings. Just like a bunch of other Jewish comedians not named Louis C.K., Jon Stewart, Andrew Clay or Jerry Seinfeld who could always dish it out but never take it when it's headed in their direction. Even if we're talking about female comedians the Lisa Lampianellis and Sandra Bernhards of this world had more ? and were much more genuine. At least they really understood their artform.

This is why so many people of color walk away from that business. It's ok to ? on minorities all the time, even ok to go at white trash but say one thing about a Jew and boom you open up pandora's box. Pure hypocrisy. If somethings are off limits then everything should be off limits.

That's the thing with comedy. Yes political incorrectness is a big factor. It's a reason why so many like Richard Pryor and George Carlin & Bill Hicks were considered living legends in their prime. At the same time those guys were also tasteful. This chick just likes to be openly tasteless and then hides behind "well freedom of speech and comedy is about no boundaries he he he" whenever she's called out and some people just see through that ? .

Like what you like though. Comedy is subjective as ? but don't be questioning why somebody may not favor your favorites as if it's some kinda malfunction. To paraphrase a rapper if somebody doesn't like something they just don't like it it don't mean that they're hating.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    Options
    My fav funny females

Mo Collins from Mad Tv she is funny as ? . Mad Tv prolly had son of the funniest women on they cast.

Maya Rudolph, SNL never used her enough.

Anna Faris, I bet its pure comedy in a house hold with her and Chris Pratt.

Amy Poehler

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You must have missed it, but Jerry Seinfeld made a show chocked full of Jewish sterstereotypes. John Stewart regularly mocks Jewish stereotypes and virtually every Jew that comes on his show, he makes a Jew joke. Yet both of them turned out alright. So the assumption that Jews are entirely unable to take a joke at their own expense is ? .

First time I saw Amy was at that Comedy Central roast and I thought it was tasteless myself until I saw more of her and realized that she'll be the first to ? on herself whether it be her age, nationality, gender, or ethnicity. You say she and Kathy Griffin don't understand their craft when they understand it more than you ever have.

Bottom line, either everything is fair game or none of it is. You don't get to declare what's off limits in comedy because the moment you do, you're contradicting your reason for every laughing at anything.

Time will tell though. Comedians change. Seth McFarland used to have comedy down to a T. But for the past 5 years, every Family Guy episode has a "it's funny because he's black" joke, which isn't funny, not because it's offensive, but because it's lazy as ? . But then you have a show like South Park who let's one character be as bigoted as humanly possible, and then they tear him down by virtue of his own bigotry. That's how good comedy works.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You didn't read my post correctly. Jerry Seinfeld, Jon Stewart etc. were exceptions. I'm very familiar with their work and views on humor. I said outside of them every other Jewish comedian is ultra sensitive about anti semitic humor but loves to freely talk ? about other races.

Don't talk to me about comedy all condescendingly btw especially if you've never been in that business. You don't know me nor will you know that I spent 3 years of my life as part of an underground stand up comedy writing team here in NYC. But since I believe in anonymity I leave it at that.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Sarah silverman>>>>>>this ?

Amy shumer is really just another version of lena dunham...tho if i had to choose I'd pick shumer...
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She has racist eyes. It wouldn't work. She looks like she's calls us ? .
  • marc123
    Options
    Sarah silverman>>>>>>this ?

Amy shumer is really just another version of lena dunham...tho if i had to choose I'd pick shumer...

Co sign bolded.

Sarah's last stand up special was funny af