Some say NYC lost hip hop but is Black America losing hip-hop, pop and R&B?

Options
d.green
d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in The Reason
Some say NYC lost hip hop but is Black America losing hip-hop, pop and even R&B?

Saw Billboard awards not long ago and there were barely any black artists. Just mentioning Billboard because i hadn't seen an award show in a long time. Listening to the radio is painful unless its on "Backspin".

The biggest international rap star today is who...Pitbull? Ok, maybe Kayne West? Pitbull came to mind because i hear this dude every country i visit.

Who's the biggest pop star is who...Taylor Swift or someone like that?

R&B...does that really exist on the charts at all these days? If so, who's the man? Chris Brown, Miguel? I wouldn't have even classified either as R&B back in the day.

I remember traveling abroad in Europe and Africa and our music (R&B, hip hop, pop) was in heavy rotation. Now when i travel, these countries mostly listen to their homegrown stars way more than us. Which i can't really blame them these days. I mean its not a bad thing this has happened for these countries but i'm just pointing out it wasn't always like that.

Thoughts?

Comments

• BrazilianHairMoney
    BrazilianHairMoney Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont care bout hip hop son im just being honest.. & a lot of people don't care about it anymore.

hip-hop cared about nyc .. when it traveled out of nyc ... hip hop died! ( according to them)

so im just being honest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAeAp9MzPtk
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's less losing those genres and more Electric Dance Music having a bigger influence than all three together. EDM is the new hip-hop; it influences a lot of other genres, popular among the tweens and young adults, and in general plays a large role in dictating the culture.
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    Options
    nobody feel sorry 4 people who used to live in da good 20 years ago.. hiphop needs to become, more relevant...

its the past in listeners ears.. trap muzik da present!
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    Options
    nobody feel sorry 4 people who used to live in da good 20 years ago.. hiphop needs to become, more relevant...

• BrazilianHairMoney
    Options
    nobody feel sorry 4 people who used to live in da hood 20 years ago.. hiphop needs to become, more relevant...

• grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

GTFOH... These trap rappers spittin the same ? I herd 20 years ago (a lot of biting at that) & that's the problem. Who gives a ? when there's no evolution? Hip-Hop as far as mainstream is stagnant with all the same concepts, looks, & even various players. People complain about change & then turn around & listen to Lil Wayne or Young Thug like they bring something new to the table. Until we demand more from this culture & ourselves, it'll remain the same.
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    Options
    trap ? spit da present situation.. hip hop.talkin about da past..

every ? saying im hip hop talkin about street issues between da 70s and 90s...

• murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    New york rap lost quit trying to make excuses why your region aint popping and the main reason for that is ny aint got no good up and coming rappers. Somebody name me 5 new school ny rappers that got ? popping after 2010. The south on the other hand cranking out talent like the kentucky wild cats.
  • murdap
    Options
    New york rap lost quit trying to make excuses why your region aint popping and the main reason for that is ny aint got no good up and coming rappers. Somebody name me 5 new school ny rappers that got ? popping after 2010. The south on the other hand cranking out talent like the kentucky wild cats.
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    Options
    When the highest selling artist n hip hop is a racist white cracka klansmen I would say yes blk america lost hip hop......there is no other form of blk musik besides hip hop where there is a cracka who rapped about not liking ? & is still on top that ? is kray
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo, watching the Billboard Awards, Grammy's, AMA's shouldnt be used as a indicator on how Black Music as a whole is doing..... Only the really popular rappers and R&B acts get play on those shows.....Now the BET awards is tonight, if white acts dominated that show then I'd say ? is lost....lol...
  • gee757
    Options
    @grYmes that cracka feminem got on the mic & rapped about how he don't like ? & that klansmen is the highest selling rapper....HIPHOP LOST!
  • murdap
    Options
    gee757 wrote: »
    When the highest selling artist n hip hop is a racist white cracka klansmen I would say yes blk america lost hip hop......there is no other form of blk musik besides hip hop where there is a cracka who rapped about not liking ? & is still on top that ? is kray

Blame that ? on dr dre without the funk doctors co sign em wouldve been just another vanilla ice with shelf life of grocery store milk. Look at other white rappers like mac miller, asher roth, and machine gun kelly they career went and gone.

Paul wall and lil wyte>>>em
  • gee757
    Options
    Of course ? ? ass dre 2 matter fact ? anybody that's blk that supports that racist culture vulture cracka....those other white rappers u named is kool they ain't got racist tapes dissin blks like that cracka marshall
  • grYmes
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @grYmes that cracka feminem got on the mic & rapped about how he don't like ? & that klansmen is the highest selling rapper....HIPHOP LOST!

Lol, the ? with the tapes he made when he said ? over his ex girl? That was a long ass time ago & Em didn't even deny it when Benzino tried to ruin him. In all honesty who still cares about that? He said it before he was even signed & I doubt very much he a klansmen homie. He shouldn't of said the ? but its not like he went out his way to say it since on wax. Em is very much not the problem.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    grYmes wrote: »

Lol, the ? with the tapes he made when he said ? over his ex girl? That was a long ass time ago & Em didn't even deny it when Benzino tried to ruin him. In all honesty who still cares about that? He said it before he was even signed & I doubt very much he a klansmen homie. He shouldn't of said the ? but its not like he went out his way to say it since on wax. Em is very much not the problem.

Actually he went thru court to try to block Zino from releasing those songs....
  • grYmes
    Options
    a_list wrote: »

Lol, I would if did the same thing if I said some dumb ? & didn't intentionally want it released. Never said what he did was right but no one can seriously say dude is a racist.
  • murdap
    Options

a_list wrote: »

Went to court to try and block benzino from releasing it? That tells you all you need to know. Em and justin beiber in the same boat if you ask me.
  • grYmes
    Options
    8-| Never the less.. Em's era has came & went as far as being at the top honestly. That drop off from Encore to MMLP2 hurt him. Highest selling artist be damned, he's not relevant to the discussion.
  • gee757
    Options

Can u show me a picture of that blk gf that klansmen claim he was dissin? If u can't plz stop repeating that LIE cuz that cracka never had a blk gf......he just made that up 4 the gullible 2 fall 4 & I ain't the1 that's y that klansmen was dissin blk women not just 1 blk chick.....& I will never 4give that cracka after feminem dissed Lauryn hill back n 99 over a rumor of her being racist...& the whole time that cracka was dissin L boogie over a rumor of her hatin whites & he had racist tapes dissin blk women....smh feminem = WHITE SUPREMACY
  • gee757
    Options
    Lol, I would if did the same thing if I said some dumb ? & didn't intentionally want it released. Never said what he did was right but no one can seriously say dude is a racist.

smh y cuz that cracka helped a couple houseniggers & a muuuunkee get rich? Man plz ? that racist cracka all imma say is go look up JIM BURWELL Straight outta the D!
  • murdap
    Options
    Who was that black gf eminem was supposed to have that made him diss all black women is a good question? I doubt a thot would miss an opportunity to gain instant popularity and 15 mins of fame if it really was one. I say its all bs and the xhick never existed