Do you believe we are in a Golden Age of TV?

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in Lights, Camera, Action!
With a variety of shows to reach critical acclaim, does this last 10 years like TV programs - minus the reality ? - have reached new heights in terms of creativity, execution, and overall popularity.

Think about it. In the last 10 years, we've gotten shows such as:

The Wire (arguably the greatest show EVER)
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Homeland
Dexter
Six Feet Under
Game of Thrones
Sons of Anarchy
House of Cards
Orange Is the New Black
Power
Scandal (in terms of popularity)

Even lesser known shows have been deemed early successes, like:
Daredevil
Bloodline
The Flash
The Americans
Ray Donovan

Do you think we are enjoying a great age of shows, or was there a better era?

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Yes

Even minorities are getting are getting shine right now...women are being better represented...nothing is taboo (well on premium cable it isnt)...ratings don't always determine the life of a show anymore... it's an all around great time for tv
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We are. I thought that was common knowledge.
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you can go ahead and throw Mr. Robot in there cuz that show fixin to do damage for the next 5 years...
  • marc123
    Options
    btw Hannibal, Masters of Sex and The Affair need to be added to the list.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Absolutely. Personally, I'd add Curb your enthusiasm, Friday Night Lights, and It's Always Sunny to the list
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As far as Dramas yeah.. the only Sitcom i watch is Blackish..
  • marc123
    Options

FX's Married and Fresh off the boat are worth the watch imo
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »

FX's Married and Fresh off the boat are worth the watch imo
    That show the middle or is it the goldbergs looks kinda funny two tuned in once or twice
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The wire was okay, game of thrones is better cause it has dragons.
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's funny because even TV execs believe the same thing.

CLw_x-JUEAAaWT5.png
    To date, TV viewers have been presented with 267 scripted series in 2015, and that’s leaving out non-English language and children’s programming. The tally already tops the number of shows produced in all of 2009, 2010, and 2011, and it’s a cinch to beat last year’s total of 371.

That tidal wave of content formed the introduction and throughline of John Landgraf’s executive session with the TCA, one of press tour’s most reliable State of TV addresses. By his research department’s estimate, the FX CEO said “2015 will easily blow through the 400 series mark.” “My sense is that 2015 or 2016 will represent peak TV in America and that we’ll begin to see declines coming the year after that and beyond.”

The only complaint I have is that comedies are falling way behind. I don't have anything against dramas, but it's a bit much at times. I can't think of any other comedy that's on point right now (other than some animated joints).
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    golden age? 80 percent of the ? is reality shows that all have the same formula. I say nay.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe in a general sense, ill let yall debate that

Now in regards to blacks in particular? Hell no. 85-95 [maybe a few yrs later) was a renaissance period for black cinematography , im including movies. We actually progresed from.being simple beings with a narrow range of characteristics n to an behavior patterns to actual ? humans

? regressed since then, for us. Even wit these extra mediums
  • marc123
    Options
    and in terms of " lesser known " shows I'd add The Killing, Bates Motel and Nurse Jackie
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Delphas wrote: »
    It's funny because even TV execs believe the same thing.

CLw_x-JUEAAaWT5.png
    To date, TV viewers have been presented with 267 scripted series in 2015, and that’s leaving out non-English language and children’s programming. The tally already tops the number of shows produced in all of 2009, 2010, and 2011, and it’s a cinch to beat last year’s total of 371.

That tidal wave of content formed the introduction and throughline of John Landgraf’s executive session with the TCA, one of press tour’s most reliable State of TV addresses. By his research department’s estimate, the FX CEO said “2015 will easily blow through the 400 series mark.” “My sense is that 2015 or 2016 will represent peak TV in America and that we’ll begin to see declines coming the year after that and beyond.”

The only complaint I have is that comedies are falling way behind. I don't have anything against dramas, but it's a bit much at times. I can't think of any other comedy that's on point right now (other than some animated joints).

its always sunny is the only comedy series i check for if im being real.. cs
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @marc123 that black jesus ? any good? never saw a episode..
  • marc123
    Options
    Yea. Black Jesus is funny. Much better than I expected.
  • gucci7383
    gucci7383 Members Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    The wire was okay, game of thrones is better cause it has dragons.

Sarcasm at its best isee
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    My concern for the next few years tho is that it's gonna be harder for shows to separate themselves...it's a lot of good shows on a lot of different networks so everybody's fighting for attention...it might be harder for future shows to get greenlit cuz networks might only be looking for awards recognition....that's the only way to have your name out there now. The sleeper with the niche audience will be dead for a while.