Faux News Senior ? Juan Williams Rips Straight Outta Compton for celebrating "Thuggish’ Behavior"

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-juan-williams-rips-straight-outta-compton-isnt-it-celebrating-thuggish-behavior/
Fox’s Juan Williams Rips Straight Outta Compton: Isn’t It Celebrating ‘Thuggish’ Behavior?

During a segment on #BlackLivesMatter today, Fox News’ Juan Williams took some shots at the movie Straight Outta Compton for glorifying “thuggish” behavior.

The new film, released just this past weekend, tells the story of the hip hop group N.W.A. and it took the top spot at the box office. Ben Carson took the movie to task in an op-ed yesterday for being emblematic of how Hollywood “lines its pockets by glamorizing a life where black men are thugs and our women are trash.”

Williams agreed today, saying on The Five that many people are pointing to how it’s glorifying “thuggish violent behavior” and even “misogynistic” behavior.

And he even said, “It plays to white people who think, ‘Oh, that’s the way they all are.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhnQdioPLRc

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    See how quickly they attack the movie for telling the truth, they want to take the focus off of the ugly truth/reality of police misconduct and place the attention on some of the negative aspects of the characters. They're not slick.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't seen the movie, but it is possible that it does glorify “thuggish violent behavior,” which is definitely not what we want (right?).

If you think being critical of movies or music that glorify that sort of behavior is coonish, then you are one very confused ? , and part of the problem.

• loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    LOL it's 2015.We went through this when the group came out in the 80's.

One of the best gimmicks ever and it still works.

Trustus: But you brothers have created something so nasty so foul the iller you get the better off we are now get in there have a good time.

Trustus: Do you cuss on your records?
    Albert: Yeah.
    Trustus: Do you defile women with your lyrics?
    Albert: Yeah.
    Trustus: Do you ? your genitalia on stage?
    Albert: Whenever possible.
    Trustus: Do you glorify violence or advocate the use of guns as a way of solving a simple dispute?
    CB4: [pull out guns]
    Trustus: Ok! Ok! Final question. Do you guys respect anything at all?
    CB4: Not a ? thing.
    Trustus: You got a deal.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    tired of the whole ppl go to the movies and come out wanting to do what they seen in it talk
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What does Every Bruce Willis and Swcharnegger movie celebrate?

Guns, violence and death huh...

? Hypocrites
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So they weren't worried about cats trying to grab moving planes after Mission Impossible 3? ? this ? .
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Wasn't there a scene in the movie when the blood dude was schooling some cats about NOT gangbanging and focus on school?
  • A Talented One
    Options
    OK, maybe he is wrong and the movie doesn't actually glorify that kind of behavior. The point is that if the movie really does that -- and it may be that reasonable people will disagree about whether it does -- then we have to condemn it, no matter how much we might personally like it or the N.W.A. To think that that is coonish is just utterly crazy.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    What does Every Bruce Willis and Swcharnegger movie celebrate?

Guns, violence and death huh...

? Hypocrites

"My violence is noble, yours ignoble."
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't seen the movie, but it is possible that it does glorify “thuggish violent behavior,” which is definitely not what we want (right?).

If you think being critical of movies or music that glorify that sort of behavior is coonish, then you are one very confused ? , and part of the problem.

So the Avengers made ? wanna glorify and emulate superheros?
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    OK, maybe he is wrong and the movie doesn't actually glorify that kind of behavior. The point is that if the movie really does that -- and it may be that reasonable people will disagree about whether it does -- then we have to condemn it, no matter how much we might personally like it or the N.W.A. To think that that is coonish is just utterly crazy.

Let's condemn Pearl Harbor for glorifying violence, even though most elements are based on actual events.

Let's condemn Goodfellas for glorifying thuggery and violence, even though it's based on actual events.

The above was said by no one ever.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do y'all watch Fox news?

that's what i be trying to figure out...reminds me of those white kids that cut themselves everyday
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But the movie didnt

In fact ? a lot of the subtext of the movie was antiviolence.

*Eazy left the drug game to start Ruthless because the drug game had become too wild
    *When Compton Menace got on the bus, the point of that scene was to highlight that 80s Compton was essentially the Wild West and gangbanging was essentially digging your own grave
    *Eazy wanted to ? Suge after getting beaten by him but Jerry Heller talked him out of the futility of it all
    *AND FINALLY the movie basically says Dre left Death Row because he was sick of all the violent street ? going on there.

That's four different instances of the movie saying "while these guys were from Compton, they were good guys who just wanted to be rappers to get out of poverty" how is that glorifying negative behavior?

Aside from some female objectification (which yknow, is present in basically 80% of Hollywood movies), if someone is seeing negativity being promoted in "Straight Outta Compton, its because they WANT to see it.
  • A Talented One
    Options

But the movie didnt

*Eazy left the drug game to start Ruthless because the drug game had become too wild
    *When Compton Menace got on the bus, the point of that scene was to highlight that 80s Compton was essentially the Wild West and gangbanging was essentially digging your own grave
    *Eazy wanted to ? Suge after getting beaten by him but Jerry Heller talked him out of the futility of it all
    *AND FINALLY the movie basically says Dre left Death Row because he was sick of all the violent street ? going on there.

That's four different instances of the movie saying "while these guys were from Compton, they were good guys who just wanted to be rappers to get out of poverty" how is that glorifying negative behavior?

Aside from some female objectification (which yknow, is present in basically 80% of Hollywood movies), if someone is seeing negativity being promoted in "Straight Outta Compton, its because they WANT to see it.

Ok, maybe he's wrong then. I should watch the movie myself.

Still, I know how these dudes think. They think that any black person who publicly deplores certain images or messages in movies or music for reinforcing certain negative stereotypes must be doing so to ingratiate him or herself into white people's good graces. They care very little for the possibility that what the person is saying is actually true. And that is hugely problematic. I mean if these movies and music do disseminate negative stereotypes, who are they gonna affect? Our children, and our future. (How they affect white people has to be a secondary concern.) These same dudes (most of them) never acknowledge that hip hop has ever disseminated negative stereotypes, even though this seems undeniable, and some of them will even place the label '? ' on the people who say that it has done that. So that's where I am coming from.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But the movie didnt

Still, I know how these dudes think. They think that any black person who publicly deplores certain images or messages in movies or music for reinforcing certain negative stereotypes must be doing so to ingratiate him or herself into white people's good graces. They care very little for the possibility that what the person is saying is actually true. And that is hugely problematic. I mean if these movies and music do disseminate negative stereotypes, who are they gonna affect? Our children, and our future. (How they affect white people has to be a secondary concern.) These same dudes (most of them) never acknowledge that hip hop has ever disseminated negative stereotypes, even though this seems undeniable, and some of them will even place the label '? ' on the people who say that it has done that. So that's where I am coming from.

5th Letter wrote: »

Let's condemn Pearl Harbor for glorifying violence, even though most elements are based on actual events.

Let's condemn Goodfellas for glorifying thuggery and violence, even though it's based on actual events.

Let's see your response to this then...
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »

But the movie didnt

5th Letter wrote: »

Let's see your response to this then...

I've never seen either of those movies either. I assume that pearl Harbor is about war. If so that is different. I assume that Goodfellas is about the mafia. If so, then it could conceivably glorify thuggery and violence. I don't know whether anybody has criticized it for that though. Maybe they should.

You know what? Your post exemplifies exactly what I am talking about. I'm gonna explain why.

You're too concerned with white people and not sufficiently concerned with black people.

Say that you're right, that whites, because of racial bias, selectively criticize some black music and movies for their alleged glorification of violence and street life while ignoring similar things in white movies and music.

Despite the fact that they do that, we still have to ask if black movies and music glorify violence, etc., for it still might be true that some black movies and music do do that. It might be that both white and black movies and music glorify violence, etc., but whites' bias only makes them speak out about black movies and music.

My contention is that if you are thinking properly about these issues, your fundamental concern should be whether black movies and music glorify, violence, etc. And the reason why is because it is our children and our future that would be most directly affected. You should be more concerned with what we are doing than you are with what whites are doing.

I hope that makes my position clear.

All of that said, I am going to add this, though this is not essential to what I am saying. As I mentioned in the other thread the other day, I think music is more influential than movies, and I think that the most popular genres of black music are more negative than the most popular genres of white music. This means that it may well be that there is more reason to speak out against black music than white music. Movies, on the other hand, are a little different, but whites are economically better off, so even if white movies were as negative as black ones -- and I've already said that I think movies are less influential than music -- there is less reason to think that it would have the same impact on whites that black movies have on blacks.

I know y'all are going to focus on the last paragraph. But still, I wish you won't. The essential point is what I said prior to that.