Believe what you want to

Options
Ubuntu1
Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
I've recently come to explicitly reject the idea that people can choose to believe what they do and by extension be criticized for the beliefs that they have. Obviously our emotional biases influence how receptive we are to certain beliefs and we make choices that are indirectly responsible for our beliefs. You can criticize someone for pretending to believe something that they don't genuinely believe or for closing themselves off to information and arguments that might raise doubts in their minds but a belief itself is something we instinctively accept as true based on whether or not it feels right. There is no non-subjective reason for us to accept that '1 + 1 = 2' or that 'empirical observation and testing is the best way to learn about the natural world'. It's just 'immediately' obvious to us that it makes sense or it doesn't. If I place my hand on a stove and instinctively pull away it's only because I intuitively believe that there's a causal relationship between the pain in my hand and my having placed it on the stove. There was no rational decision making involved in the formation of that belief and I would still have it even if I couldn't consciously remember any prior experience with stoves.

All of our beliefs are rooted in subjective feeling. There is no objective knowledge.

Do you agree or disagree with any of this and why?

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "We live our entire lives out of the confines of our mind."
  • Young Stef
    Young Stef Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T/S got the idea from Jeezy tho. Believe what u wanna believe. What's to discuss. Get Right.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1+1=2 is not a belief, it's a fact. You are all over the place. You can believe anything you want but a fact is a fact.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    1+1=2 is not a belief, it's a fact. You are all over the place. You can believe anything you want but a fact is a fact.

I'm not disputing that there are facts that are objectively true regardless of whether or not we believe them to be. But our belief as to whether or not something is a fact is based on purely subjective intuitions. I agree with you that 1 + 1 equals 2 and anyone who claims otherwise is wrong, that's my belief, but I'm basing it on the subjective obviousness I feel when presented with the problem. I can't divorce my opinion from whether or not it feels right or wrong. A.I with no intuitive subjective feeling couldn't form beliefs or reason or make decisions.

This is why people change their minds about things and have different beliefs. It's possible that some Islamic extremists feel the same clarity and certainty about Allah wanting them to wage jihad against non-believers that you do about 1 + 1 equaling 2 (although their belief itself isn't what motivates them to do so). You can say they shouldn't feel that way but there's no objective source of knowledge apart from your own intuitions, you just have a strong feeling that some things are true and some things are false.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is 1+1=2 because we say it is. If there was no us to say or even count "it", "it" would be just what "it" is but we wouldn't know what "it" was because we wouldn't be here to call "it" something or count "it".
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All this pointless philosophying (it's a word today, ? ) in here contemplating the meaning of 1+1. Boy you ? , I swear...
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But did u not make the decision to place your hand on the stove??......
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All of yall need to 1 yourself

Go get the burner ? bang yourself
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If one is to obtain an objective perception of knowledge, one must first realize they know nothing and every piece of data received is merely a cloud passing by in an endless sky of input that is in place to assist in the construction of the consciousness within the moment.

Memories, feelings and interaction are all colors in the spectrum that the soul uses to paint it's life.

If knowledge is to be interpreted on a non biased platform, it must be free and only exist within the moment. All input retained for further use is subject to corruption and jaded perspective.
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is 1+1=2 because we say it is. If there was no us to say or even count "it", "it" would be just what "it" is but we wouldn't know what "it" was because we wouldn't be here to call "it" something or count "it".

? "it"
  • BrazilianHairMoney
    BrazilianHairMoney Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    People just want people 2 believe they more than just people. They make up this formula that we are more than human settling for less when we accept we human.

We are suppose to believe that human is beneathe us. They want us to believe we are born to be much more than who we are. Accepting ourselves as ourselves is failure. We suppose to believe in the impossible. Getting on television suppose to be our pinnacle.. Any other goal is below average.. Yeah heard it before.

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe i'm ? right now.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    This ? is just trying to justify his sexual attraction to little girls. However both subjective and objective knowledge exists

Ubuntu is Huruma?
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Okay Jaden Smith

200w.gif

• Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options