Working environment

Options
memphis2sacnicc
memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
For those who have jobs, are u able to be yourself or u gotta scale back from your normal personality?

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    myself for the most part...but I'm a loud ? so I just gotta watch my volume on my radio and ? .
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i work in a mailroom/document center, it's just two of us in the office.....we both early 30's young, black family men......we chilling
  • ms.jones
    ms.jones Members Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scaled back a bit..my sense of humor isn't for everyone, and I've been told that I'm a bit too blunt. So, I make a conscious effort to choose my words, speak clearly and understand that not everyone will appreciate my sarcasm.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    I work in a office setting and these white folks have no idea how I really act.

Think of the black news reporter who got flies in his mouth on live television. That's me. Lol
  • bigduece69
    bigduece69 Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't care to talk to people much, but as a warehouse manager it forces me to be social and stand in front of crowds. I tried being myself the first year, but quickly realized in order to be effective, I would have to open up more and be vocal and inviting.
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My workplace is 60% black

20% white

10% Asian

10% Hispanic

So my personality is front and center
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I'm actually more outgoing at work than away from it. I'm naturally an introvert and could honestly go days without speaking to people, I've done it before, but at work I have to pretend to enjoy the fact that people like to talk to their co workers so instead of just being awkward I'm just cordial enough to be conversational but not so much that people think I'm social
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I'm actually more outgoing at work than away from it. I'm naturally an introvert and could honestly go days without speaking to people, I've done it before, but at work I have to pretend to enjoy the fact that people like to talk to their co workers so instead of just being awkward I'm just cordial enough to be conversational but not so much that people think I'm social
    So you're not being yourself. U faking it to make it, is that what u are saying?

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    job is chill as ? , we get busy in here at times, but on busy days, you come in and you'll either hear motivational speakers, comedy shows, jazz, or hip-hop, occasionally gospel if we feeling godly
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am searching for a new job where I can really be myself 100 percent.
  • blackrain
    Options
    So you're not being yourself. U faking it to make it, is that what u are saying?

Lol nah I'm still me I just recognize that when you're in public settings it's generally considered rude not to speak to so I do just enough to get by
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    Meester wrote: »
    Construction
    Warehouse jobs
    Airport luggage throwers
    Manufacturing jobs

Basically manual labor type jobs.

• memphis2sacnicc
    edited August 2015
    Options

Lol nah I'm still me I just recognize that when you're in public settings it's generally considered rude not to speak to so I do just enough to get by
    Naw I was just ? with u. I understand that u gotta be coo with yo coworkers unless they just snitches and ? .

I keep everything simple tho. How are u today? It's gonna be hot all week. Is your department busy? Have a good weekend. That's all u getting from me as far as not work related. Lol
  • blackrain
    Options

Naw I was just ? with u. I understand that u gotta be coo with yo coworkers unless they just snitches and ? .

I keep everything simple tho. How are u today? It's gonna be hot all week. Is your department busy? Have a good weekend. That's all u getting from me as far as not work related. Lol

Pretty much lol..make sure you talk just enough that you don't come off as the creepy anti social guy
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigduece69 wrote: »
    I don't care to talk to people much, but as a warehouse manager it forces me to be social and stand in front of crowds. I tried being myself the first year, but quickly realized in order to be effective, I would have to open up more and be vocal and inviting.

You A Greeter A Costco Pleighboi?

• mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The work enviornment I'm at is pretty lax......

Until we in front of the customer that is. It used to be more brothers to relate to until this new company came along and most of them got fired or quit tho.....
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    I work in a warehouse. Everybody is turnt the ? up in there lol
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scaled back. I'm here to make money, not be social.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I work in a warehouse. Everybody is turnt the ? up in there lol

I used to work in one too. ? always stayed in some mess. When something better came knocking, I didn't even give em a two weeks notice.....
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meester wrote: »
    Construction
    Warehouse jobs
    Airport luggage throwers
    Manufacturing jobs

Basically manual labor type jobs.

Appreciate It boss.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm in a mixed environment for my primary gig, but it's industrial/factory work and we all have on PPE at all times, and the machines I work on are loud as ? so you literally have to yell to have any type of convo. So all these contributing factors create an environment where you dont hafta be a pc dude and ? around is the norm when you're not busy. So I'm essentially myself there. I've always been serious and kinda introverted though. If I had my choice, I could go days without speaking to anyone but the wife.

My other gig is firefighter work and them muthafuckas are crazy and funny as hell, so I'm cool there too. I'm in a good space at the moment with the workplaces.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    I'm in a mixed environment for my primary gig, but it's industrial/factory work and we all have on PPE at all times, and the machines I work on are loud as ? so you literally have to yell to have any type of convo. So all these contributing factors create an environment where you dont hafta be a pc dude and ? around is the norm when you're not busy. So I'm essentially myself there. I've always been serious and kinda introverted though. If I had my choice, I could go days without speaking to anyone but the wife.

My other gig is firefighter work and them muthafuckas are crazy and funny as hell, so I'm cool there too. I'm in a good space at the moment with the workplaces.
    I work for a energy/construction company on the corporate side and I sometimes ship out PPE supplies to job sites.

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scaled back like 100% right now.

When I worked in the service center of a bus/truck dealership I was full throttle 100%
  • L.O.S.T.
    L.O.S.T. Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have had to apply a filter to what I say since I became a manager. I have a bad habit of saying exactly what I think and the people I manage can't always handle the blunt truth
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Completely faking it to make it at my job.

But ? IT i cash checks, clock out everyday and forget about these uppity crackas until the next work day