Vanilla Ice's To The Extreme 25th Year Anniversary

Options
genocidecutter
genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in The Reason
tumblr_mnslkny9l31rrg6kro1_500.jpg

To the Extreme is the major label debut studio album of American rapper Vanilla Ice and his best selling album. The album was initially released in 1989 by independent record label Ichiban Records under the title Hooked. Vanilla Ice signed to SBK Records, who reissued the album under its current title. The album contains Vanilla Ice's most successful singles, "Ice Ice Baby" and "Play That Funky Music". Although reviews of the album were mixed, To the Extreme spent 16 weeks at the top of the Billboard 200, and sold 15 million copies worldwide.

1. "Ice Ice Baby" Vanilla Ice and Earthquake Vanilla Ice 4:31
2. "Yo Vanilla" Vanilla Ice Vanilla Ice 0:04
3. "Stop That Train" Vanilla Ice and Earthquake Vanilla Ice 4:29
4. "Hooked" Vanilla Ice Khayree 4:52
5. "Ice Is Workin' It" Vanilla Ice and Earthquake Vanilla Ice 4:36
6. "Life Is a Fantasy" Vanilla Ice and Earthquake Earthquake 4:47
7. "Play That Funky Music" Vanilla Ice and Earthquake Vanilla Ice 4:22
8. "Dancin'" Vanilla Ice and Earthquake Earthquake and Khayree 5:00
9. "Go Ill" Vanilla Ice David Deberry 5:00
10. "It's a Party" Vanilla Ice Khayree 4:39
11. "Juice to Get Loose Boy" Vanilla Ice Vanilla Ice 0:08
12. "Ice Cold" Vanilla Ice Darryl Williams 4:05
13. "Rosta Man" Vanilla Ice Darryl Williams 4:36
14. "I Love You" Vanilla Ice Kim Sharp 5:06
15. "Havin' a Roni" Vanilla Ice Vanilla Ice 1:09
Total length:
57:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLVn3SnDosk

Comments

• SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn his clothes game was on point on this cover.
    Lol
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    https://youtu.be/Mx7kzarSwGE

This will forever be funny

u beat me to it. lol

"i aint stupid. i just dupe it"
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this song and Humpty Dance blew up the summer of 90

but for whatever reason, when I first heard them both, I thought they were parody songs, especially Humpty. I never seen a video get played randomly on TBS in 1990. It got played randomly during commercial breaks and in between shows..........on T....B.....S. TBS NEVER had a video show, and if they did, it wasn't a rap show.

Ice's whole getup was phony to me, so I thought it was all a joke that got popular and maintained staying power.
  • KUSHCLICK314
    KUSHCLICK314 Members Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That whole VANILLA ICE AND M C HAMMER movement was a important part of hip hop. ? might disagee but the music had lots of energy and the lyrics weren't bad. I didn't agree with the clothes but lots of ? was on it. It was trend setting. Hip Hop is supposed to make you dance. And both of them mufuckas were great performers. I would rather do the HAMMER DANCE THAN THE STANKY LEG ANY DAY. LOL
  • skpjr78
    edited August 2015
    Options
    "i needed to wear a diaper on that day"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5b3_aS-Wy8

thank you vanilla ice. death row records and rap fans everywhere are forever grateful
    1292223254212-dumpfm-mario-Obamaclap.gif
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I like ice ice baby *shrugs*

But I never heard this album
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i like ice ice baby. it's harmless.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a real hip hop legend...
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • genocidecutter
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This album went Diamond
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at this thread. Ice Ice Baby went hard but I forgot about everything else
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »

but for whatever reason, when I first heard them both, I thought they were parody songs, especially Humpty. I never seen a video get played randomly on TBS in 1990. It got played randomly during commercial breaks and in between shows..........on T....B.....S. TBS NEVER had a video show, and if they did, it wasn't a rap show.

Ice's whole getup was phony to me, so I thought it was all a joke that got popular and maintained staying power.
    They actually had a video show that came on late nights called night tracks.
  • genocidecutter
    Options
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    Mally_G wrote: »

They actually had a video show that came on late nights called night tracks.

OK, i never knew they had a show. I just researched it. I only watched TBS back then for WCW wrestling and Atlanta Hawks games. LOL!!!

I guess they used Humpty Dance as bait to watch a show that came on at odd hours of the night on Friday and Saturday night/morning. Just reading about it, the show went through major format changes due to the changing landscape of popular music. During that era of the early 90s, Alternative and Rap took over the game, so I see how Humpty got play on TBS. Even though the video would randomly come on during the day outside the shows time slot, I thought the song was a parody due to Humpty's appearance and the video was silly.
  • skpjr78
    edited August 2015
    Options

I remember the beef competition he had going with kid n play. ? was funny. I remember he was winning for awhile b/c everybody was pulling for the under dog and wanted to see the white boy win. But kid n play dropped house party and it was a wrap after that.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »

I remember the beef competition he had going with kid n play. ? was funny. I remember he was winning for awhile b/c everybody was pulling for the under dog and wanted to see the white boy win. But kid n play dropped house party and it was a wrap after that.
    I think 3rd Bass dissed him too

• bkzlostchild
    bkzlostchild Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Here's why Vanilla Ice had to sign over the rights to Ice Ice Baby; There's a black fraternity called Alpha Phi Alpha. The Ice Ice Baby chorus belongs to them.

Spike Lee directed a movie called School Daze which was released in 1988, two years before Vanilla Ices song. Here is a scene from the movie where the Alphas are stepping to the tune of Ice Ice Baby, two years before Vanilla Ice's song.

Its ludicrous for Vanilla Ice to say he made up that chorus

Clip from School Daze (1988)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfPc8Ia7E20

You know what's crazy, I remember watching School Daze way after "Ice Ice Baby" came out & I remember watching the scene with the Alpha doing their steps & I was like " isn't this from the Vanilla Ice track?"

But it make sense because School Daze came out in '87 & "Ice Ice Baby" drop in '89

Plus he was getting in trouble for not clearing the sample for the track too
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

^^^ That song is horrible compared to what KRS, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick, Public Enemy, Stetsasonic, NWA, Too Live Crew, Too Short, etc. were doing at the time.
  • Alpha_Ambition
    Alpha_Ambition Members Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    brace yourselves for a ? horrocore thread next from t/s
  • skpjr78
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Here's why Vanilla Ice had to sign over the rights to Ice Ice Baby; There's a black fraternity called Alpha Phi Alpha. The Ice Ice Baby chorus belongs to them.

Spike Lee directed a movie called School Daze which was released in 1988, two years before Vanilla Ices song. Here is a scene from the movie where the Alphas are stepping to the tune of Ice Ice Baby, two years before Vanilla Ice's song.

Its ludicrous for Vanilla Ice to say he made up that chorus

Clip from School Daze (1988)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfPc8Ia7E20

You know what's crazy, I remember watching School Daze way after "Ice Ice Baby" came out & I remember watching the scene with the Alpha doing their steps & I was like " isn't this from the Vanilla Ice track?"

But it make sense because School Daze came out in '87 & "Ice Ice Baby" drop in '89

Plus he was getting in trouble for not clearing the sample for the track too
    dude was a ? idiot. he became a laughing stock when he tried to claim that he didnt sample david bowe's song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-1_9-z9rbY

this ? along with in living color skit and the im down with luther campbell lies did him in. ? was hilarious when he crashed though lol