Mother Discovers Special Needs Son Wearing Trash Bag At School

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
special-needs-student-in-trash-bag-620x330.jpg

Nyesha Terry's 5-year-old son, Lloyd Stamps, is epileptic and non-verbal. But even though he can't speak, the intelligent boy still finds a way to communicate with others. He attends an elementary school in Chicago, and has never had problems at school—until Terry recently went to check on her son and found something inexcusable had happened in his classroom.

Terry was horrified when she came to Lloyd's kindergarten classroom and saw that Lloyd had not only been separated from the rest of his classmates, but also was wearing a black trash bag over his clothes.

Terry said, "My heart broke [when I saw him]." And she was rightfully upset. When she asked Lloyd's teacher for an explanation, the teacher explained that because Lloyd frequently drools as a result of his epilepsy, she didn't want him to get "sick" from having a wet shirt all the time. So her disturbing solution was to tape him inside of a black trash bag.

Terry explained that at her son's previous school, Lloyd was given extra clothes or a bib. But someone has never made him wear a garbage bag. Terry explained that what made her the most upset was that the bag was a "hazardous" solution. She said, "He could chew on it or swallow a piece. He could be playing with it and suffocate himself."

Terry received no apology or explanation for why her son was found separated from the other students. She said, "He is the only child that was isolated."

After her complaints, Terry assumed the teacher had learned a lesson—but the next day Terry found her son wearing a trash bag again.

She immediately took her concerns to the principal, but the school has yet to release a statement or apologize on behalf of the misguided teacher.

The Chicago Public School systems has issued a statement that said, "We work to ensure all students are comfortable in their learning environment. This incident is inexcusable and CPS has launched an investigation. We will take all appropriate actions to ensure this issue is resolved and prevented from happening again."

Since the incident, Terry bought a special waterproof vest for her son—a simple, safer solution than a garbage bag. She also said, "I hope that this will just give parents with special needs children insight into what's going on when we're not around our children. I want exposure because it's not right."

Comments

• jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That was pretty messed up to read
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sad. But my visual is killing me. He wears a water proof vest so the saliva doesn't soak his shirt. Does it roll off and hit the floor? This sounds very unsanitary.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I woulda maxed on the teacher, somebody gets beat up after that incident.
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to work at a school for the special needs. It's really difficult for the teachers and the parents don't make ? any easier. The teacher should've just requested a bib or an apron.
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah after the first time heads would've rolled. I'm not putting any blame on the mother, but knowing your son drools excessively, wouldn't you already have a bib or apron available for him to use?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    It would have taken all the self control I have to keep me off that teacher. One thing that will instantly set my temper off is ? with kids
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    JokerKing wrote: »
    I bet the mother is good looking. Think about it, single, attractive female remains single because men cannot handle her special needs child. Hell, she can't even date because of fear of letting others watch him. I bet she give dome like nobody's business and that ? gets wet with the slightest look of attraction. I'll be your step dad lloyd.

5346553+_22ef3400b6af0fa858095e23ad33fc86.gif

2CB96A8C00000578-3248066-Shocked_After_his_mom_Nyesha_complained_she_returned_the_followi-m-2_1443130308446.jpg

there goes that theory

Da Ass Doe
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From experience, most parents of special needs kids overreact to ? or jump to conclusions needlessly. But ? like THIS? Naw, bruh. And I wouldn't have even really blacked out like that and made a scene. But I guarantee that after I was done talking to the teacher, the aids and the principal, they would all be so terrified it would never happen again.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's s fade in the air
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    That's ? up. I got my ass whooped in 8th grade defending this kid named Issac who had epilepsy. He used to drool a lot and was in a wheel chair. Class would be over and these 2 ? would unhook the battery cable on his wheelchair. Then they would sit there and laugh at him when he couldn't move his wheelchair. It just got to a point where I couldn't keep letting that ? ride even. I thought I was fighting 2 ? but 3 more set in on my ass and i took an L. But I felt good about that ? . I thought I was gonna have to fight them ? again the next day but they never bothered him again. Issac passed away when we were in 10th grade. RIP

I can't imagine how she felt seeing that ? . Already probably got kids picking on lil dude now you put him a trash bag and separate him. Teacher teaching the kids how not to act properly around somebody different than you.

I'd give this 10 GOATs....I can't stand bullies...they usually weak as ? anyway
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's ? up. I got my ass whooped in 8th grade defending this kid named Issac who had epilepsy. He used to drool a lot and was in a wheel chair. Class would be over and these 2 ? would unhook the battery cable on his wheelchair. Then they would sit there and laugh at him when he couldn't move his wheelchair. It just got to a point where I couldn't keep letting that ? ride even. I thought I was fighting 2 ? but 3 more set in on my ass and i took an L. But I felt good about that ? . I thought I was gonna have to fight them ? again the next day but they never bothered him again. Issac passed away when we were in 10th grade. RIP

I can't imagine how she felt seeing that ? . Already probably got kids picking on lil dude now you put him a trash bag and separate him. Teacher teaching the kids how not to act properly around somebody different than you.

How can you feel good about doing that to someone? That's just mind boggling to me.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

I'd give this 10 GOATs....I can't stand bullies...they usually weak as ? anyway

I never could stand folks ? wit ppl that they knew couldn't or wouldn't defend themselves. It's a certain type of ? who always talking ? b/c maybe his family is known to be some killers or he always with 5/6 ? . But you can just see the real fear in his eyes and that he really ain't got it in him. Them type of ? just bother my soul. Talking loud but ain't saying nothing ? .
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? stop lying. You would max out in any situation.

I know right..lol
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really don't think the intent of this was anything sinister
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

that may very well be true, but its a common sense thing man. while reading this article the first thought in my head was "she couldn't get him a bib" then continued reading the story the parents said she could have gotten him a bib or a change of clothing. So yeah if i DONT work everyday with special needs kids, and i thought of that immediately.. why didn't the teacher. in her brain a trash bag>> a bid. May have been good intentions behind her actions, but terrible ? execution

EDIT- missed the separated the kid from the other students part.. FDB
  • LurkdogAchilles
    LurkdogAchilles Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yea, except the fact that she had him separated
    no excuse for that one

• JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options

yea, except the fact that she had him separated
    no excuse for that one

damn i missed the separated part..
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is all kind of wrong, she must not have proper training to understand the needs of and handle children like him.