How the NRA's "good guy with gun" theory works in real life...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.khou.com/story/news/2015/09/27/one-man-injured-after-carjacking-shooting-at-gas-station/72923278/
One man is injured after a carjacking and shooting at a gas station in north Houston Saturday night.

Houston police responded to a shooting call around 11:15 p.m. Saturday at a Valero gas station on Jensen Drive at Reid Street in north Houston. Officials say two men jumped another man in the gas station parking lot and took the victim's Chevrolet pickup truck. Police say a witness then pulled out a gun and began shooting at the suspects, accidentally hitting the carjacking victim in the head.

The victim was transported to a nearby hospital where he remains in stable condition. Police say the witness who shot at the suspects picked up shell casings and left the scene.
Police found the stolen pickup truck about a mile down the road but are still searching for the suspects.

Comments

• JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The NRA lost all credibility with me when they supported anti-gun legislation for black people
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    totally not cherry-picking here at all...
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    The NRA lost all credibility with me when they supported anti-gun legislation for black people
    going to presume this is a 1960s thing
    but there's a whole lot of groups on THAT list in 2015
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Fuxk the NRA. Buncha of old crackas gassed off ? Harry
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Fuxk the NRA. Buncha of old crackas gassed off ? Harry

why tho?

what did they ever do to you?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a chevy pickup tho?

better have been a typo...

no way somebody lost their life over a s10.

a cyclone i can understand...

Those new Silverados are kinda nice actually I still prefer the Rams to the Chevys and the overpriced Ford F150s but I can understand why someone would want to steal one.

Back on topic though the NRA consists of a bunch of old white men who hunt and believe in the right to bear arms.

In reality, as much as I have a disdain for law enforcement them along with military personnel are the only ones that should have a reason to be wielding around a firearm in public.

This isn't some third world country and I bet less than an extreme micro-fraction of the American public ever really need a firearm for purposes of self defense in their lifetime.

Current legislation allows some slow wit or mentally disturbed person to go out and do harm more than it allows some vigiliante with a gun to go exact people's justice on some wrong doer like the NRA would like to think.
  • janklow
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    In reality, as much as I have a disdain for law enforcement them along with military personnel are the only ones that should have a reason to be wielding around a firearm in public.
    so you have disdain for law enforcement and yet want only law enforcement to be armed? yeah, this logic seems a little contradictory
    This isn't some third world country and I bet less than an extreme micro-fraction of the American public ever really need a firearm for purposes of self defense in their lifetime.
    shame about that Constitution
    Current legislation allows some slow wit or mentally disturbed person to go out and do harm more than it allows some vigiliante with a gun to go exact people's justice on some wrong doer like the NRA would like to think.
    but does current legislation actually allow that in the manner you think it does? because in my experience, people complaining about gun laws aren't necessarily well-versed in gun laws

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow one news article to base your entire opinion. Reminds me of the way they do things on those conservative tribune web pages.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't wanna live in a country where the only people who have guns are the same people who shoot 12 year olds with BB guns and unarmed men in the back.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I don't wanna live in a country where the only people who have guns are the same people who shoot 12 year olds with BB guns and unarmed men in the back.

This. Plus the cops don't come in time when you call them.

• Crude_
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    so you have disdain for law enforcement and yet want only law enforcement to be armed? yeah, this logic seems a little contradictory
    shame about that Constitution
    but does current legislation actually allow that in the manner you think it does? because in my experience, people complaining about gun laws aren't necessarily well-versed in gun laws

Without law enforcement there would be anarchy. Again I do not care for law enforcement and the manner they treat minorities and how they tend to over punish minor infractions. Without some form law enforcement we'd be in a survival of the fittest society. There are certain people in society that need to be in prison. With no law enforcement whose going to apprehend murders, rapists, pedophiles, etc. You have to have trained individuals who can confront those issues in society while still being fair to the accused. Does that always happen no but it's better than the alternative of not having anyone.

I sense your sarcasm in regards to the constitution and understand it to a degree. The constitution was written by old white men with different objectives in mind than what would best for the best interest of our current society.

As for your comment about gun legislation I say to you right now pretty much anyone who doesn't have a criminal record can purchase a weapon. Certain things like a person's mental health history should be explored when an individual is given the clearance to aquire a tool that can exert lethal force. Yes, I know that won't stop everything but it's a step in the right direction.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TBH I believe in open carrying. People get skittish about it but there's no way youre not going to tell me its not a deterrent (no way you can measure it tho)
  • Crude_
    Options
    I dont care for law enforcement either, but what's y'alls alternative to not having law enforcement on the streets?

That's an honest and sincere question I am in no way trying to be facetious or condescending when I ask that either.

I don't believe a civilized society could function without law (rules) and individuals to over see the enforcement of them people would be functioning like hedonist with no consequences to their unethical behavior if there was no recourse in place.
  • alliknowishate
    alliknowishate Members Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ill put it like this I don't open carry cause if ? pops off who they gone shoot first open or concealed carrier
  • janklow
    Options
    Without law enforcement there would be anarchy.
    the false choice here is between "no law enforcement at all" and "only law enforcement/military should have guns." my selection is keep (and fix) law enforcement and, also, i keep my guns.
    As for your comment about gun legislation I say to you right now pretty much anyone who doesn't have a criminal record can purchase a weapon. Certain things like a person's mental health history should be explored when an individual is given the clearance to aquire a tool that can exert lethal force. Yes, I know that won't stop everything but it's a step in the right direction.
    interestingly, what you're saying may already be covered by federal or state law, depending on the specifics. some of the issues are in implementation.