Question About J Cole

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in The Reason
*This is not 1 of those childish diss threads, its just opinion that heavily leans toward bein facts*

Name another rapper who was deemed 'top 5 or 10 of the moment' who dropped at least 3 albums and NOT 1 is deemed historically relevant, classic, or atleast borderline classic

Most do:
Jay-RD
NAS-Illmatic
Big-Ready to Die
Kendrick-GKMC
Lupe-F&L
Ghostface-take your pic
Rae-OB4CL
Kanye-Dropout & LR
50-GRODT
The Game even lol-Documentary
D.o.c.-No One Does it Better
Ti-Trap Muzik

I mean ? lol Usually rappers cone out swinging. Before the fame is when you hungriest and drop your rawest, best material. J Cole has three FORGETTABLE albums

He's nice! Cool lil rapper. But im tired of bein humble, ya boy aint it man. Yall forcing it due to a dearth of quality rappers

Please someone tell me where im wrong at ANY level

Comments

• S2J
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Drake

Yep. I didn't lump him in w/ @Cole bc that felt like overkill, like im pickin on the generation lol
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    top 5 new school rappers

5. Rich Homie Quan
    4. Young Thug
    3. J Cole
    2. Drake
    1. Future

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not that i disagree with your cole sentiment but

raekwon a top 10 rapper at any time?

only ? who have been under a rock or are just plain stupid/insanely jaded think there's a lack of nice rappers, and despite the music side of things, cole is one of em.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grodt is overrated. But the impact was good for rap

Ob4cl overrated

documentary trash

Doc album is meh at best

Ghost album was solid

Gkmc is a good album but forest hills drive is much much better. It's far from forgettable. Dude sold mad albums with no push and no features and selling out shows everywhere.

Blueprint > RD
    You here ppl blasting much more then RD
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not that i disagree with your cole sentiment but

raekwon a top 10 rapper at any time?

only ? who have been under a rock or are just plain stupid/insanely jaded think there's a lack of nice rappers, and despite the music side of things, cole is one of em.

Around the early to mid 90s you could have made a case for Rae being top 10. I agree with your second comment 100% tho. There's an abundance of up and coming talent.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FHD is still less than a year old, so time will tell. Question is how many peoplr on a J.Cole run? Who you replace him with? Even the biggest KRIT or Wale fan can't make that argument. Dude producing and writing his own ? without doing a features and carried it to his BEST work of his career. Who else doing this?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T/S raises an interesting point.

I'm not really up on things like I used to be. I've been hearing a lot about J Cole but to be honest, I haven't heard any of his albums in their entirety. What's his best album? I'm willing to order one of his albums from Amazon if ya'll say its any good.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Far Gone by Drake and Friday Night Lights by J Cole are classic bodies of work, but I agree they don't have classic albums

The Warm up is Coles best body of work.
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Far Gone by Drake and Friday Night Lights by J Cole are classic bodies of work, but I agree they don't have classic albums

The Warm up is Coles best body of work.

I respectfully disagree and would say Friday Night Lights is, although I still haven't listened to FHD.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited September 2015
    Options
    the no features thing is kinda overrated too, props to him and his fanbase for him being able to drop outta nowhere and go plat tho.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Food and Liquor is a classic?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

I bought So Far Gone on the strength of some recommendations on the IC. Just as I was starting to get into it and start to nod my head he'd start singing. If that's this generations idea of "classic" then Nas was right, Hip Hop is dead.

How did I get a flag? I made a thread about a year ago asking what was Drake's best album. People said I should get So Far Gone so I ordered it from Amazon. I was thoroughly disappointed.

I'll even look for the thread.
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Last classic albums i heard were

5. like father like son,
    4.lil boosie incarcerrated
    3. yo gotti i am
    2. thug motivation 101
    1. g unit beg for mercy

Other then those aint no classic albums made in the 2000's well maybe Carter 2 can be thrown in there but thats where the buck stops at
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    the no features thing is kinda overrated too, props to him and his fanbase for him being able to drop outta nowhere and go plat tho.

It's killing you ain't it?

wat do u mean?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

wat do u mean?
    He's been going against the grain and constantly proving you wrong.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited September 2015
    Options

wat do u mean?
    He's been going against the grain and constantly proving you wrong.

ah, ? wrong every day b. i think his success is great.

i wanna like his music a lot, i just cant get into it. and i like j. cole's collabs(except planes) so i dont really see the huge deal about no features. maybe cuz it was unexpected?
  • S2J
    Options

Damn. On some real ? scratch Drake off the list, So Far Gone meets the criteria imo. It changed the game , huge impact

FNL? hell no. Not lookin good for ya boy fellas lls
  • S2J
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Even Lil Wayne can squeak in w/ Carter 2 and Drought 2 (i get em confused) as his highly regarded, memorable, 'this stopped everything' bodies of work

J Cole don't got ? but nice, fun, 'personal favorite' at best level bodies of work . Please anyone tell me im lying
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even as the Bcotton/supergangster of Cole fans on the IC i will admit FHD is not a classic but its pretty close. However you can't say FHD is forgettable. The songs have plenty of replay value.