The IC Sample Flip Thread: Vol. 6

Options
Lou Cypher
Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in The Reason
Its that time ladies and gents! Our beatsmiths of the IC took on another sample flip challenge with great results. You can find the sample songs here: http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/536032/the-ic-sample-flip-thread-vol-6-the-samples#latest

These are the results!

@Lab Baby

@mosincredible

@5 Grand

That's all the beats that were turned in. Lots of complaints about the samples that were chosen so that took away the participation. Sorry but im not sorry, that's the point of the competition.

Let us know who you think made the best beat!

Volume 7 will be coming this weekend.

@_Goldie_ @Sion can we get a sticky swap when possible?

The IC Sample Flip Thread: Vol. 6 12 votes

Lab Baby
16%
KINGECmosincredible 2 votes
mosincredible
58%
5th Letterbless the childunspoken_respectCeLLaR-DooRLab BabyBenjaminEFosheezy 7 votes
5 Grand
25%
[Deleted User]Lou Cypher5 Grand 3 votes

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand
    I obviously voted for myself but I'm feeling Mosincredible's beat too.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    5 Grand
    Voted for 5 Grand. ? dope. Everyone did a good job, hope we get more participation on the next one.

5 Grand is this your first time participating in the sample flip comp? cant recall any of your other beats.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    5 Grand
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Voted for 5 Grand. ? dope. Everyone did a good job, hope we get more participation on the next one.

5 Grand is this your first time participating in the sample flip comp? cant recall any of your other beats.

Yeah this is my first time, but I've been making beats since the early 90s.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    5 Grand
    Dope, what do you use mainly?

Did a good job too, should check out the upcoming volumes, ill add you to the @ list. Wont work though because the space in your name but be cool to see you do future sample flips.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    5 Grand
    I basically use an ASR-10. My record collection is pretty thorough. After I'm done making the beat I run it through a Tascam Portastudio 488MK II 8 Track mixer into an iMac. Then I put the beat into Audacity and fine tune it.

But I make the beat on the ASR-10.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Glad to see the series is still going, Ima check em out in the morning and vote.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mosincredible
    All of them is dope in their own right I can't vote 1
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lab Baby
    Yeah all of these were dope. I Like the flow of Lab's beat. ? actually made me start spittin a bit and ion een rap. LOL. was put together nicely. Great work. Mos was dope too. chill ass beat bruh. love the drum work on there. Good job. 5 Grand took you back to his time. LOL. That ? is nice AF bruh.

Man, Y'all all did good. don't know who to choose. I'll come back to vote on one of y'all.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mosincredible
    Couldn't decide for the longest... Mos Incorporated sound like something ASAP would sound good on... you all sound good though...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    mosincredible
    When did you start doing these again? Anyway I'll check out the beats later.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Damn b, this is the first time in the series that I cant choose. Lab's and Mos' beats are fireeeeeeee. Lab's beat sounds like something Ross would spit on and Mos' beat allows you to switch ur flow up crazy, I freestyled to that ? for about 10 mins just now lol.

5's beat is cool, but he did what another cat did earlier in the series, and made a beat that sounds just like the sample. It sounds EXACTLY like MC Lyte's Georgy Porgy beat, but instead of the MJ sample, he used the "time to take it back". There's potential there tho, try to switch it up tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r5MzLsaVWc
  • Fosheezy
    Options
    mosincredible
    Man I decided to vote Mos beat was just so chill and mellowed out Made me wanna roll up a joint. far as lab and 5grand y'all did the thang I didn't vote 5 because creative reasons it do sound like the mc lite joint and lab joint had that bounce but I just have a thing for mellowed beats with hard drums
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby
    All 3 beats happen to have completely different feels. Lab's has that NY gritty sound and I could picture Mobb Deep or M.O.P. on it. I loved that percussion drop out for the first half of the 2nd verse. 5 Grand has that old school house party feel. Not enough change from the original sample for me though.

I went with Lab's cause I love that gritty ? plus I struggle to make it myself.
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lab Baby
    I'm going with Lab on this one. Just love the flow on that one. Mos and 5Grand, Y'all boys did yall thing too. Great job yall.
  • mosincredible
    Options
    Lab Baby
    Thread on life support.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    mosincredible
    mosincredible's beat sounded the dopest to me. But everybody did their thing.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mosincredible

I scraped this ? together literally just now to try keep the thread goin'.

#LoopGang
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mosincredible
    Good ? fellas. My vote goes to @mosincredible. The most unconventional method of sampling usually takes the cake for me, and Mos chopped the hell outta that sample, which I'm still tryna figure out what it is. 5 Grand's beat, while basic, had that classic feel I ? with. I wanna invest in some hardware myself, and by the looks of it the ASR 10 might be my first purchase.

My joint was rushed, I was busy working and other ? . I wanted to add a lot more to that beat... I might finish it and post it if this thread stays up longer.
  • Fosheezy
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mosincredible
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    Good ? fellas. My vote goes to @mosincredible. The most unconventional method of sampling usually takes the cake for me, and Mos chopped the hell outta that sample, which I'm still tryna figure out what it is. 5 Grand's beat, while basic, had that classic feel I ? with. I wanna invest in some hardware myself, and by the looks of it the ASR 10 might be my first purchase.

My joint was rushed, I was busy working and other ? . I wanted to add a lot more to that beat... I might finish it and post it if this thread stays up longer.

Making the switch? Man I think u'd like it. Let me warn u tho you'll prob be a bit mad at yourself for not doing it sooner.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    5 Grand

Just to be clear, the ASR 10 is a sampler. Its shaped like a keyboard and I guess you could load up keyboard sounds and play it, but thats not what I do. I sample. All the sounds you hear on that beat I made are sampled from records, except for the main loop which I sampled from the T/S.

Having said that, the ASR 10 is an upgrade from the EPS 16. The ASR 10 has about two minutes sample time and 8 tracks. So you can sample drum hits from one record and a loop from another record and mix them together.

Although I'm considering making the switch to Pro Tools because I want my beats to sound more professional.
  • mosincredible
    Options
    Lab Baby
    5 Grand wrote: »

Just to be clear, the ASR 10 is a sampler. Its shaped like a keyboard and I guess you could load up keyboard sounds and play it, but thats not what I do. I sample. All the sounds you hear on that beat I made are sampled from records, except for the main loop which I sampled from the T/S.

Having said that, the ASR 10 is an upgrade from the EPS 16. The ASR 10 has about two minutes sample time and 8 tracks. So you can sample drum hits from one record and a loop from another record and mix them together.

Although I'm considering making the switch to Pro Tools because I want my beats to sound more professional.

I respect that old head outlook. I started making beats on an old Yamaha with 5 tracks & no samples. Didn't know what quantize was. Played all the percussions on one track. I miss hardware honestly. People who been on software for a while want hardware. People who've been using hardware do the opposite.