New 'X-Files' Wows At World Premiere

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
dgexplosion.jpg

“This is a dream come true for me,” says series creator Chris Carter, who said the cult conspiracy drama could continue past Fox's new six-episode reboot.

Cynical industry journalists turned gawking fanboys at the Mipcom television trade fair on Tuesday night when Fox screened – in its world premiere – the first episode of the hotly-anticipated return of The X-Files.

X-Files creator Chris Carter attended the launch in Cannes, saying returning to the show, which went off the air in 2002, felt “surreal” but that it was “a dream come true” to bring back FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, played by original stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.

“I've been doing this for a little over a third of my life. So its obviously very important for me so I jumped at the chance to do it,” Carter said.

The audience packed into Cannes' Grand Auditorium broke out in spontaneous applause multiple times - including when Duchovny and Anderson first appeared and the crowd whooped and cheered as the closing credits rolled. But perhaps the biggest applause came earlier, when the opening credits – with the X-Files trademark intro music – hit the screen.

In a treat for X-Files' traditionalists, Carter has kept the series' original opening credits exactly as they were when the show first aired back in 1993.

“We thought about doing some changes to the original credits but then it seemed like like sacrilege,” Carter said. “Those credits were on 202 episodes. They belong on these next six.”

The new series brings The X-Files, and the Mulder and Scully characters, into the present day, with ripped-from-the-headlines conspiracies involving government surveillance and corporate malfeasance added to the show's trademark paranormal paranoia. The plot has Mulder and Scully – now separated from one another privately and professionally– joining forces and reopening The X-Files after new evidence comes to light involving alien abductions and a possible global conspiracy.

Fox has put in a six-episode limited series order for this X-Files reboot. Carter, however, held out hope that the show could return, though likely in the form of more self-contained mini-series or specials.

“Mulder and Sculley will be in wheelchairs before we're finished,” he joked.

Comments

• KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Goat. Too bad its fox but dope. Can't wait.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I loved The X files as a kid....I heard their bring back the cigarette smoking man.....cant wait for this ?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watched it on and off when it running dont even know wtf its about to be honest

They looking for aliens and ? ?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I seen only one episode and that scared the ? out of me. Never watched again, though. Just never followed it or was hype for it. It's on Netflix, right?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    This was the GOAT back in the day used to watch with my brother I think on Sunday nights? It was a good suspenseful show
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    I seen only one episode and that scared the ? out of me. Never watched again, though. Just never followed it or was hype for it. It's on Netflix, right?

Yea whole series is on there. I don't even wana start it cuz it's like 9 seasons. And tv from back then is nothing like now so i probly wouldn't be able to get though it due to the quality.
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of my favorite shows ever. Can't wait.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    What is it about?
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yea whole series is on there. I don't even wana start it cuz it's like 9 seasons. And tv from back then is nothing like now so i probly wouldn't be able to get though it due to the quality.

man gabi, if you dont watch that ? lol

its not THAT bad...im only on like episode 5. its a grind thats for sure, but it aint like you watching VHS...if anything, it looks dated only because of that late 90s wardrobe, but the quality is pretty damn good imo
  • KingFreeman
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I re watched the series on Netflix last year. Still fire. They took on and started so many genres in SciFi and horror. A lot of stuff we see in films and TV shows today they did first on x-files. A lot of actors came up through this show as well. Its a much better watch now that I'm grown as opposed to being like 9-12 yes old when it was airing. The chemistry between those two was crazy.
    A lot of you really do need to go watch that if you got Netflix.
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    I rewatched the entire series last year.....That ? still goes hard..
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

its not THAT bad...im only on like episode 5. its a grind thats for sure, but it aint like you watching VHS...if anything, it looks dated only because of that late 90s wardrobe, but the quality is pretty damn good imo

I don't mean quality like it's a bad show...i just mean the standards were different. Payoff tv was the game back then. ? had to wait over a decade for rachel and ross to get married on friends lol. I'm used to shows with like 12/13 eps a season where the storylines progress faster. I ain't tryna wait 60 episodes for mulder and scully's first kiss and ? lol
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't even know it was on Netflix. I've always wanted to get in on this show, but by the time I actually started paying attention it was already on season 7 or sumin and I just said ? it.

I'll try to make some time for it and see if it lives up to the hype. Thanks, IC brethren.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

I don't mean quality like it's a bad show...i just mean the standards were different. Payoff tv was the game back then. ? had to wait over a decade for rachel and ross to get married on friends lol. I'm used to shows with like 12/13 eps a season where the storylines progress faster. I ain't tryna wait 60 episodes for mulder and scully's first kiss and ? lol

well remember, you gotta think, that wasnt the original direction of the show. i think it just gravitated towards that b/c its inevitable if you spending that kinda time with any person of the opposite sex, things are eventually going to get romantic to some degree

the story is the paranormal ? , not their love life lol
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Hnnngh! Watching now
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Definitely think tomorrow's episode will be a lot better.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not bad I'm intrigued and smoking man back
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    Scully could still get the pipe.
  • themadlionsfan
    Options
    I watched it....I really liked it
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I missed tonights ep because of the rumble. I watched X Files off and on as a kid, like Star Trek
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That episode was better than the entire second movie was.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Scully could still get the pipe.

One of the few white women who keeps getting better with age.
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was definitely a touching episode and classic X-Files.

Seeing the ideal future and inevitable misfortune of William in two perspectives stole the show.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Fox Mulder is still the best Jeff Goldblum role not played by Jeff Goldblum.