It seems like everybody but Nas, JayZ, and Kanye dropped an album this year...

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited October 2015 in The Reason
If those 3 bless us with a album out of nowhere in December can we call 2015 the GOAT year in hip hop or is it already one of the GOAT years regardless? Or is this just cool but a bit overrated or overexposed? Please discuss.

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall remember when Kanyes album had a sticky, LOL

Jay Z makes fairly boring/wack music these days

I have no faith in Yeezus right now

Def waitin on a new Nas album but seriously doubt he droppin this year
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    It takes time to make that determination we still need to see how these albums age.
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought Kanye wanted to drop his album out of nowhere?
    Still waiting on Lost Tapes 2 and an ok Jay Z album while camel riders buy more tidal accounts and call it a classic.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    -I thought Kanye was gonna drop this year but guess not. Fine with that though cuz he's dropped some ? singles this year.

-After Jay's last two albums it wouldn't bother me if he never dropped another one again. Don't need another album of him talking about rich man struggles. He hasn't "struggled" since '98.

-Wasn't expecting Nas to do anything. He's had a pattern of three-four year hiatus between albums. Lookin for it next year.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2015 is prolly the best year since 2010 (plenty of dope albums dropped between but still)
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lost tapes 2 prolly be his next ? in 2016
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    nas the only thing im waiting for
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Definitely aint ? with 94-96, but its the best year since 2001.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Also NaS is on Mass Appeal records now, his own imprint, don't expect him to move major units his first week. LIG did 140k in the first week on a major. NaS might do significantly less, I think now he's in that "rockstar" status in Hip-Hop where a group like U2 and it don't matter what it sells the message resonates and moves whole movements. It's going to be a mighty interesting day when NaS next album drop and everybody starts talking about sales. Frankly IDGAF about his sales, long as the music is GOAT.

The fact that you consistently capitalize the N and S deserves a co-sign
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'll always check for those 3. I think Kanyes days of dropping dope music is over, he peaked at MDBF. Jay is lazy and NaS (word to sion) aged gracefully. I'd like to see a Nas Jazz EP - him spitting over some Fela Kuti beats

Lol at calling a ? that's been rapping for damn near 20+ years lazy and done dropped more albums then damn near anybody lazy smh
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    I'll always check for those 3. I think Kanyes days of dropping dope music is over, he peaked at MDBF. Jay is lazy and NaS (word to sion) aged gracefully. I'd like to see a Nas Jazz EP - him spitting over some Fela Kuti beats

Lol at calling a ? that's been rapping for damn near 20+ years lazy

Lemme correct, subject matter, flow are lazy. He has his moments, wasn't feeling the last project brought to us by Samsung - the corporate commercial rapper [Funk Flex]

I love the point of views of the hippity hip hop fans....guess it makes for good balance can't have a Jay type rapper without a Nas type rapper and vice versa
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kanye west was dropping an album every year almost in the last 5 years
    2010 MBDTF
    2011 WTT
    2012 Cruel summer
    2013 Yeezus
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jesus ? tomp shut the ? up for once. Name 5 legends in any genre that made classic albums at 40.

At 45 half of a legendary rock bands original lineup is nearly dead or in rehab. And they tour with a ? album when all the fans want to hear about is hits. At 45 Michael jackson was running never never land and was so out of touch with society he didn't even know how to shop with groceries. Did you want him to release an album. Hendrix, Biggie and Tupac never made it to 40 at all.

The fact of the matter is old men never will have the material to run with these young studs but lets compare these young studs careers to Nas and Jay.

Future: 31 years old and no platnum albums 0 headlining coast to coast arena tours. In his hottest year so far (2015) he had to do free concerts to get demand. By that same time Yeezy had already had 2 classics in College Dropout and Late registration which both sold as much as all of futures album sales combined.

Fetty Flop: 24 years old. At that same age Nas had already written illmatic and it was written 2 of the best albums in hip hop of all time

Drake: 29 years old. In that same time frame nas had pretty much solidified him as top 5 or at least top 10 DOA.
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word...I ain't bought an album in a minute.
  • choppa_style
    choppa_style Members Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Man this is why I say rap fans aint ? LOLOL SMMFH, Hov, NaS, Kanye gave yall album after albums the last 15 years. What right does the audience have to demand all of a sudden an album just b/c everybody else droppin ? They can drop an album tomorrow and yall will say "that's it ? It's aight" and move on. When them ? drop albums they make it a moment, sometimes you have to know when to withdraw and when to strike. NaS, Jay, Kanye not trying to give you the illusion that they need to compete with these younger artists. They gonna go when it's time. Dre dropped his album to coincide with the movie about his life, I like how no one even knew him and Kendrick were working on it till the week before. I'm sure the triumvirate have something on deck just waiting for the right time to strike tho. Music is in an interesting place.

I don't see anyone in this thread demanding any albums. Most people seem to be saying they aren't looking forward to albums from Jay or Kanye.