The Expanse(anybody watching)

Options
L.O.S.T.
L.O.S.T. Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Lights, Camera, Action!

The Expanse is an American space opera / mystery science fiction drama television series on Syfy, based on the series of novels by James S. A. Corey. Set in a future where humanity has colonized the Solar System, it follows police detective Miller (Thomas Jane), ship's officer Jim Holden (Steven Strait), and his crew as they unravel a conspiracy that threatens peace across the System and the survival of humanity.

Someone described it as Game of Thrones in space. It's not that good but I see the similarities. Large ensemble cast. Lots of political drama. Several familiar faces(cutty from the wire, Thomas Jane) and it seems like anybody can die at any time. 5 episodes deep and I'm hooked

Comments

• jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not bad so far. I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but the mystery keeps me interested
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't realize this had started already. I'll be checking it out.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love sci-fi shows but this network really let me down with Haven and Helix so I've been pretty ambivalent towards it.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll check this out...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    I love sci-fi shows but this network really let me down with Haven and Helix so I've been pretty ambivalent towards it.

Well I'd say you're kinda missing out then. The network does have some good shows. Defiance, Dominion, Killjoys, and Dark Matter are all solid shows. I say kinda because you seem to be very particular about ? , so I don't know if you'd like any of them.

On topic, I watch a couple episodes of the show. It seems solid so far. Hopefully it stays on that track. That "End of Childhood" show they kept showing commercials for looks interesting too.
  • jaxn
    Options
    Childhood's End has already aired. It was......different, but interesting. You may like it. Unfortunately Defiance has been cancelled. Killjoys is ok and Dark Matter is a very good show. Damn Cutty, I hope he resigned following that event. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode to see if Cutty is a good guy or not
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been watching but not sold on it. Nothing sure fire has come out of there since Battlestar Galactica and The 4400 (which they ? up after season 2)
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    They put a lot on it calling it "game of thrones in space" in their previews. That's why I tuned in and it hasn't really delivered on that.
  • jaxn
    Options
    4400 was good. The first season of Helix was good. Z Nation is a really good show
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    They put a lot on it calling it "game of thrones in space" in their previews. That's why I tuned in and it hasn't really delivered on that.

I knew that would be a poor decision on their part.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »
    Childhood's End has already aired. It was......different, but interesting. You may like it. Unfortunately Defiance has been cancelled. Killjoys is ok and Dark Matter is a very good show. Damn Cutty, I hope he resigned following that event. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode to see if Cutty is a good guy or not

lol I'm watching this ? on OnDemand. I keep forgetting all the commercials are old.

People are forgetting about Being Human when they list the good shows. That one was decent. It actually got to be better than the British source material as the series went on.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    helix cancelled, defiance cancelled, dominion cancelled
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    helix cancelled, defiance cancelled, dominion cancelled

Damn really? I wouldn't say Defiance or Dominion were great shows, but they were worth watching. Hell, Dominion seemed like it was about to pick up with Lucifer coming.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I just finished Childhood's End. ? was crazy, but good.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    I still gotta sit down and watch the third part of that myself.
  • jaxn
    Options
    yeah CE was good.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    23.gif

CE was aight. Cool take on its subject matter. They just didn't break it down enough for me. The last 30-40 mins was laughable tho.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    23.gif

CE was aight. Cool take on its subject matter. They just didn't break it down enough for me. The last 30-40 mins was laughable tho.

Yeah, black dude was dumb as hell.
    He knew he was going to be gone for decades. He should have figured out a way to take the broad with him. And I don't see the point in dying on Earth just...because. It would have been ? up not having any other humans around, but I'm sure he could have made a life of it.

Well the show was based a book of the same name by Arthur C. Clarke, so you could read that if you wanted more detail, but it seemed like they explained things well enough to me.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    23.gif

He knew he was going to be gone for decades. He should have figured out a way to take the broad with him. And I don't see the point in dying on Earth just...because. It would have been ? up not having any other humans around, but I'm sure he could have made a life of it.

Well the show was based a book of the same name by Arthur C. Clarke, so you could read that if you wanted more detail, but it seemed like they explained things well enough to me.
    Word. When Asian chick put the teddy bear in stasis I was like "? you better rethink leaving this chick behind for that ? " cause that teddy bear got crushed for real for real and his girl was kinda bad. Then homie gets to where he can get answers about ? or our creator and he barely gets any information or answers and he was crying to go back after 5 minutes. ? had me heated. Like ? pull it together. Then he commits that. ? wasted 85 years just like that. Bullshitting. Didn't make it worth his while at all.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    23.gif

Word. When Asian chick put the teddy bear in stasis I was like "? you better rethink leaving this chick behind for that ? " cause that teddy bear got crushed for real for real and his girl was kinda bad. Then homie gets to where he can get answers about ? or our creator and he barely gets any information or answers and he was crying to go back after 5 minutes. ? had me heated. Like ? pull it together. Then he commits that. ? wasted 85 years just like that. Bullshitting. Didn't make it worth his while at all.

lol ? annoyed the hell out of me too.
  • jaxn
    Options
    ^^ I agree, he should've taken them up on their offer considering he's a scientist. So Expanse had two eps this week? Is that normal?
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »
    ^^ I agree, he should've taken them up on their offer considering he's a scientist. So Expanse had two eps this week? Is that normal?

Not according to my pvr.
  • MoeW
    MoeW Members Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Options
    Season 2 premieres on February 1.

https://youtu.be/ZGnOKJ1JkRY
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I watch. It's a good show. I'll be tuning in for Season 2. The Expanse, Dark Matter, and Greyjoys are all pretty good shows on SyFy.