The Official World Politics Thread - All Breaking News here.

Options

Comments

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trump gone learn...."it was cheaper to keep her!"
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These twitter liberal talking heads waited way too long to start demonizing this guy. Now it's all that they can do lmao

Losers.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • Broddie
    Options

"Congrats America we will now legally ? millions of you across decades all over again while further degrading your ecosystem and polluting your air."

Such progress.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sarah-sanders-sandy-hook-las-vegas
    WH Can’t Name ‘Any One Thing That You Could Do’ To Prevent Gun Massacres – Talking Points Memo

On the fifth anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and just two months after the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history, the White House refused to acknowledge that regulating access to guns would have prevented the massacres.

“What has President Trump done to try to protect the American people against a similar type of massacre?” CBS News’ Margaret Brennan asked Sanders, after referring to the two mass shootings.

Sanders said the administration’s goal of severely limiting immigration — even though the Sandy Hook and Las Vegas shooters were both born in the United States — would help “protect our citizens every single day.”

“One of the areas that the President has been outspoken about, not necessarily to those two instances but more broadly speaking in terms of national security and protecting individuals, certainly through border security, stronger vetting processes, and looking at whether or not there are other regulations that we can put in place that would offer protection,” she said.

“These were domestic shooters,” Brennan corrected her.

“Right, and I said I’m speaking more broadly in terms of national security as a whole,” Sanders said.

Sanders added, referring to the shootings: “Whether or not there is a regulation that could be put in place or not that could have prevented those things, frankly, I’m not aware of what that would be.”

Brennan pressed: Has the President highlighted any priorities to prevent further tragedies like these shooting massacres?

“I don’t think there is any one thing that you could do that could have prevented either one of those instances, horrible, horrible tragedies,” Sanders said.

“But your prescription was given very quickly just the other day for this failed terrorist attack,” Brennan pushed back, referring to a poorly made pipe bomb detonated in a subway station in New York City on Monday. Hours later, the White House called for immigration restrictions, citing the bombing, and the following day the director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Francis Cissna, laid out the same plan in a White House briefing.

“I mean, this is the worst shooting on U.S. soil on President Trump’s watch,” Brennan said.

“I understand that, and that’s why I think you have to take these matters obviously very seriously,” Sanders replied. “But if you could name a single thing that would have prevented both of these I would love to hear it because I don’t know what that would look like.”

“In terms of New York we know for a fact this individual came through chain migration system, this is something the president has been outspokenly against and something he wants to stop,” Sanders said. “So that’s a fact that we do know.”

Brennan tried one last time: “An assault weapons ban, any kind of regulation, any kind of mental health concern? The President specifically mentioned that as a possibility?”

Sanders dodged yet again.

“I know that they are looking at some of the mental health issues, it’s something the President has raised before. But in terms of a specific policy that we are moving forward with that would have prevented that, I’m not aware what that would be.”

• Broddie
    Options
    He's so gassed off the tax bill he's definitely gonna go after his next white whale: entitlement reform to cement his legacy.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    He's so gassed off the tax bill he's definitely gonna go after his next white whale: entitlement reform to cement his legacy.

Thats how they plan on paying for the $1T they adding.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.mediaite.com/tv/rupert-murdoch-totally-dismisses-fox-news-harassment-scandals-its-all-nonsense/
    Rupert Murdoch Totally Dismisses Fox News Harassment Scandals: ‘It’s All Nonsense’

Rupert Murdoch made himself a whole boatload of money today. The Walt Disney Company bought 21st Century Fox for, oh, $52 billion. While this deal could bring about a canonical appearance by Homer Simpson in a future Avengers film, it will not allow Brit Hume to find himself in a galaxy far, far away.

That’s because Fox News wasn’t part of the deal. Murdoch is going to hold on to the profitable cable news outlet, much to the relief of President Donald Trump.

Murdoch, perhaps riding high on his financial windfall, spoke to Sky News and seemed to utterly dismiss the spate of sexual harassment allegations levied at high profile Fox News employees, including former CEO Roger Ailes and disgraced anchor Bill O’Reilly.

“It’s all nonsense,” Ailes said, according to a transcript provided by CNN’s Tom Kludt. “There was a problem with our chief executive. Sort of. Over the years. But isolated incidents.

“That was largely political because we are conservative.”

Then, Murdoch laid into rival networks and their own issues with high profile males abusing their power.

“All the liberals are going the drain,” he said. “NBC is in deep trouble.”

What the Australia media magnate did not say, however, is almost as important as what he did say. There was no mention of O’Reilly. None. He leapt right from the dismissal of Ailes’ alleged actions to pointing a finger at NBC and CBS.

Murdoch went on to suggest that some of these harassment allegations “might’ve been a bit of flirting.”
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Murdoch went on to suggest that some of these harassment allegations “might’ve been a bit of flirting.”

the women on cnn faces when brooke read that to em lol
  • Broddie
    Options
    Rupert sticks by his goons.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    barkey on tnt sayin he gonna give black woman in birmingham al a million dollars for i.t start ups for coming out to vote
  • Broddie
    Options
    This ? Chuck gonna eventually get involved with local politics. I totally see it for Barkley at this point.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6DEE_aUyAo

https://www.mediaite.com/online/don-lemon-admonishes-guest-for-calling-fellow-panelist-a-sellout-theres-no-name-calling/
    Don Lemon Admonishes Guest For Calling Fellow Panelist a ‘Sellout’: ‘There’s No Name Calling’

A CNN Tonight panel got so heated that host Don Lemon had to admonish one of his guests for name calling.

The heated debate took place during the third segment of Thursday night’s show. Lemon was moderating a panel comprised of three African American Republicans discussing the issue of diversity (or, more specifically, lack thereof) in the White House. Shermichael Singleton — who was a senior advisor working for HUD in President Donald Trump‘s White House until he was fired after just a few weeks — slammed Trump for the dearth of African Americans in his administration.

“Where in the hell are the black people?” He said. “I mean, seriously. Where are they?”

Paris Dennard — who worked in President George W. Bush‘s White House — backed Trump by noting that surgeon general Jerome Adams is a person of color. Singleton went back at Dennard, saying that he is referring to people who actually work inside the White House.

“Get over yourself, Paris!” Singleton said.

“Whoa!” Dennard said in response. “Shermichael, calm down. Maybe you’re bitter because you were fired.”

Singleton fired back.

“You really want to go there tonight, Paris?!” Singleton said. He added, “At least I have respect for my community. I’d rather have respect than be a sellout.”

Lemon didn’t appreciate the sellout remark. And he stepped in to support Dennard — with whom he is frequently at odds.

“I don’t like that,” Lemon said, referring to the sellout remark. “I respect you, Shermichael. I don’t like that. I mean, Paris and I, we have knock down, drag out fights on TV. But there’s no name calling.”

“Fair enough, Don,” Singleton said. “Fair enough.”

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

If there is a stronger word than PATHETIC for this ? it would be more than appropriate right here.

The ? ? is sad and hilarious all at the same time.
  • Broddie
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Imagine this ? in any other profession

"Mr. Construction Worker have you ever laid a brick down before?"

Construction Worker: "I uh er ahh *clears throat* I'm sure I READ about brick laying before but uh I er ah..."

This eloquent (ha!) man in the video is both a leader and law enforcer but carries himself like someone who never even heard of his own job title before. What a world.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Imagine this ? in any other profession

"Mr. Construction Worker have you ever laid a brick down before?"

Construction Worker: "I uh er ahh *clears throat* I'm sure I READ about brick laying before but uh I er ah..."

This eloquent (ha!) man in the video is both a leader and law enforcer but carries himself like someone who never even heard of his own job title before. What a world.

This exactly what I was thinking. Like I couldn't imagine going to a job interview that I was that unqualified for and not even be able to come up with some better finesse answers than what this clown just said.

Besides being completely unqualified he can't even ? his way through answers to even seem remotely competent. That is why I said this ? is hilarious and sad at the same time.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/wapo-pompeo-no-longer-top-choice-replace-tillerson
    WaPo: Pompeo No Longer Top Choice To Replace Tillerson At State Department

CIA Director Mike Pompeo will likely stay at his post within the intelligence agency instead of taking over the State Department, according to a new report in The Washington Post Friday.

Last month, multiple outlets reported that White House chief of staff John Kelly was orchestrating a plan to oust Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and replace him with Pompeo. Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) was floated to replace Pompeo, but his D.C. office denied those claims.

In a sweeping report on the swelling tensions between Tillerson, Trump and his own staff, The Washington Post reported, citing unnamed White House officials, that Pompeo will likely stay in his current position because Trump enjoys his daily briefings. The New York Times reported in November that Trump has become increasingly fond of Pompeo, as the former three-term Congressman tends to offer the President advice on issues far outside his reach as CIA director.

The White House has publicly denied that its developing plans to push out Tillerson after the first of the year — “Rex is here,” Trump told reporters last month. But a senior Trump official told The Washington Post that U.S. allies “know at this point that (Tillerson’s) not really speaking for the administration.”

Trump is currently particularly peeved by Tillerson’s stances on how to quell mounting tensions with North Korea and Tillerson is reportedly at his wit’s end with the White House over its delay in filling key State Department positions, according to the officials who spoke with The Washington Post.

Tillerson and Trump have been at odds for months. Over the summer, Tillerson reportedly threatened to resign and called Trump a “? .”

Trump has in turn claimed he has a higher I.Q. than Tillerson and publicly criticized Tillerson’s diplomatic efforts in North Korea, saying the secretary of state is “wasting his time.”