Do you consider this kind of person a mastermind?

Options
felliwonda
felliwonda Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
So I was telling one of my coworker this morning... Yo I was watching the Mr. Untouchable documentary about Nicky Barnes on Netflix (I know am late) and I say to him yo this dude was a mastermind, I mean at least at one point in his life he was. Now the literal definition of mastermind is: A person with an OUTSTANDING intellect. Please do note he capitalized word here.
So my coworker says mmmmmm that ? was no mastermind man he was a drug dealer. So I said okay I know that man did illicit things to become successful but in my opinion it doesn't take away the fact that the man was a mastermind at one particular point while in the illicit business he was in. So he says that the dude from wolf of walstreet the real one (Jordan Belfort) was more of a mastermind and eventually the debate stopped at Comparing Nicky Barnes with ? Bill Gates and Steve jobs... Now I know that's crazy to compare and by no means I ever started the conversation to compare those guys but in the end of it all my whole thing was that this guy was a Mastermind at what he did at one point in his life... Also the rest of my coworkers said impossible because he got caught for being flashy blah blah blah Jordan Belfort dos too but he took it back when I mentioned that... WTF whatever what's your take on that

Comments

• MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nicky Barnes = Nino Brown (New Jack City) The NB initials are obvious.

Unless you live in NY, you wouldn't knew who he was until you seen a tv documentary or Nas mentioning him. A mastermind? I didn't think so.
  • felliwonda
    Options
    Not necessarily bro maybe a lot of people outside of NY did not know the details shown on documentaries about his life but am sure many people outside of NY heard of the name Nicky Barnes and what he was notorious for just not in details at least that's my case... Now this is not about popularity though is just about how he conducted things in the platform of drug dealing I guess I want to hear other opinions as far as a person like Nicky Barnes being a Mastermind or not.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nicky Barnes = Jordan Belfort = Donald Trump

They are smart business men.

Steve Jobs, Bill Gates...Thomas Edison. These are innovators. They didn't just merely capitalize on situations and then manage em like the dudes above, rather they created things that did nit exist before. There is a difference, so the first group aint no masterminds
  • felliwonda
    Options
    Innovator: a person who introduces new methods, ideas, or products.
    Steve jobs or bill gates did not create technology they contributed to it and therefore are innovators grand innovators and yes I consider them masterminds at their craft. Yes Edison is a mastermind at what he did he created and innovated as well...
    I know Jordan Belfort did not create the field in which he practiced his skill in neither did Barnes nor trump but they innovated in those areas. See I wouldn't compare any of them as I stated before because who is/was better or who contributed for the better or worse was not the question just simply be a person with an OUTSTANDING intellect that's all. My coworker said he didn't consider Barnes a mastermind but Pablo Escobar he did... Now it is said Escobar made crazy money but he also got caught and killed whatever ultimately you can be an evil mastermind although that's not what this is about evil or good a mastermind is a mastermind
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A master mind is a migga that mastered his mind
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nicki Barnes and Pablo Escobar would have been masterminds if they could figure out how to launder the money into stocks and bonds and quit selling drugs. But they couldn't figure that out so, no, they're not masterminds.

They're like a guy who plays a good game of chess but loses at the end.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A tru smart person in bus. Surrounds himself with people that excel at the specific things they need them to excel at.

• Mseries_
    Mseries_ Members Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

Steve Jobs, Bill Gates...Thomas Edison. These are innovators. They didn't just merely capitalize on situations and then manage em like the dudes above, rather they created things that did nit exist before. There is a difference, so the first group aint no masterminds

Both are business men not innovators. Both of them had a smart as hell sidekick that were the real brains behind the innovations while they were marketing and mergers and acquisitions geniuses.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I remember watching American Gangster on BET and that ? was depressing to watch especially when you consider the amount of effort those guys put into dealing drugs. If that energy was put towards something like building a legitimate company or anything legal outside of drugs they would have built Fortune 500 companies and be all over the Forbes lists. At the same time tho, they were literally products of their environment and had no other options. Goes to show you why the government needs to invest in our communities instead of neglect them and label them negatively SMMFH. The government fears what those communities are capable of producing.

But you know, no matter what kind of upbringing you have and no matter how poor you grew up, you can always go to the local community college for free. Student loans and federal grants will cover it.

Those guys (Nicky Barnes, Alpo, Azie, Rich Porter, Kenneth "Supreme" McGriff, Fat Cat, Pappy Mason, etc.) they could have all used their drug money to go to college. With a college degree they could have started a fake business and laundered the money.

Think about it, find some guys who are really good at computers and pay them in cash with your drug money. Pretty soon you can get investors to finance the company and you can stop selling drugs altogether. All that would take about 5 years. But nobody will believe in you without a college degree.
  • felliwonda
    Options
    They were masterminds but there were limits to the game they were playing, whereas with Bill Gates, Jobs, Edison, the sky was literally the limit.

It's funny to me man, a mafia boss is considered "organized crime", but a black drug dealer is deduced to "drug peddler" or something lowly. Well for Nicky Barnes, Ricky Ross or Larry Hoover to have created what they did one would have to be organized, intelligent, strategic and cunning. Those dudes getting captured literally revolutionized crime laws and drug dealing. They had to use an entire country's military/federal intelligence and bend the laws to take them down. Just an observation.

Exactly man and I like I mentioned before I know this guy or at least these men did not do "something positive" or "constructive for the world". Which was never my argument actually contrary to that I know it actually hurt many people... I was confronted by coworkers with the argument that Nicky Barnes is no mastermind nor innovator because he didn't create the drug or whatever... And I said well I think he is because he built an empire and organization with methods and ideas... Just like bill gates and Steve jobs did not create technology hell they didn't even create he first touchscreen but ? yeah they came up with new methods and new ideas within the field of technology... The difference to me between those guys is the environment they were in some are in the field of technology, some music, art, sports, some in politics and some in religion for this guy he happened to have been within the illicit field of drugs that's all
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They were masterminds but there were limits to the game they were playing, whereas with Bill Gates, Jobs, Edison, the sky was literally the limit.

It's funny to me man, a mafia boss is considered "organized crime", but a black drug dealer is deduced to "drug peddler" or something lowly. Well for Nicky Barnes, Ricky Ross or Larry Hoover to have created what they did one would have to be organized, intelligent, strategic and cunning. Those dudes getting captured literally revolutionized crime laws and drug dealing. They had to use an entire country's military/federal intelligence and bend the laws to take them down. Just an observation.

The European has to keep up this charade of them being superior when it's Psuedo claim as well instead of the reality that the environment and everything was great time for them to rise and now their decline is on.

But back to who is a mastermind.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember when my grade 9 history teacher told us ? was a genius. Jewish kids were crying and ? . Didn't see her ass for 2 weeks. She was gone the next semester.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember when my grade 9 history teacher told us ? was a genius. Jewish kids were crying and ? . Didn't see her ass for 2 weeks. She was gone the next semester.

? was a genius, if he was a ? he couldn't do what he what had done. I mean dude had no connections to any sort of our powerful people. He manipulated and climbed to the top of the ladder and because of his policies and ideologies and strategies he placed he basically rebuild the most destroyed nation in Europe and possibly in the world at that era and made it to one of the most powerful military and established many scientists and such. Anyone who is mad at that is emotional person who don't realize people doing wicked things can be easily highly intelligent. Good and Evil is values and emotional responses not logical devices. Sometimes logic can be ice cold to the human condition.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

? was a genius, if he was a ? he couldn't do what he what had done. I mean dude had no connections to any sort of our powerful people. He manipulated and climbed to the top of the ladder and because of his policies and ideologies and strategies he placed he basically rebuild the most destroyed nation in Europe and possibly in the world at that era and made it to one of the most powerful military and established many scientists and such. Anyone who is mad at that is emotional person who don't realize people doing wicked things can be easily highly intelligent. Good and Evil is values and emotional responses not logical devices. Sometimes logic can be ice cold to the human condition.

I agree. Just remembered the story. We moved to a very Jewish neighborhood when I was in grade 8-9 (like 6-7 other black kids at the Jr. High I was at) I didn't really know much about that ? so the reactions were crazy. People couldnt believe it. She said that ? with no apologies. I deadass remember her ? expression like "prove me wrong". Lol.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

them the biggest criminals u listed u ? idiot...
  • felliwonda
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

Thank you very much my point here... I know ? did terrible which I personally do not condone but to be at the top of a nation dictating like he did well ? you gotta BE A PERSON WITH AN OUTSTANDING INTELLECT... and consign sir on Choosing to do good or evil being values. Thank you that was the point I try to get across to the fellas here at my job.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Your teacher was right.